• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the Attendance

Good crowd for the 1st game. I'm impressed by the AD and staff on trying to hype the game to get people there. The student section looked great in the first half but that's about it. They didn't start many chants and didn't make much noise in my opinion especially when Utah St. was on that end of the field. After halftime the usual exit of the student section was predictable. Kudos to the ones who stayed and made some noise.

I was also surprised to see many folks leave in a game that was that close. I know Wake isn't a "football powerhouse" but I still for the love of God can't understand why so many folks sit on their asses (even on 3rd down) in such a close game. Great game. Wake didn't deserve to win but glad the team showed the fight to comeback when the hope of a win was slim.

Will be pulling for Utah St. the rest of the way.

Butts in seats has to motivate the team.

It’s a lot to ask a WF student, WSSU band member, 6 midget football teams, moms with kids....to make noise on third down. We don’t market to the drunk guy who yells on third down. Do we?

away side of stadium usually looks horrible on tv with the shiny empty bleachers stairing into the camera. why do they notbput chairbacks in?
Because it would cost a bunch of money and result in a drop in capacity...

24,000 in actual attendance but 29,824 listed in Saturday's newspaper

I am going with 18,000 actually there on Friday night. Home side was 80% full and visiting side was 30% full at best.

The Lanie Pope name drop is pretty much the biggest small town thingy in the world.

Me and Grant Dawson were talking about the lack of cheering from our fanbase. I have been going to games for 28 years and I have been asked to sit down and be quiet in games where we were beating top 25 times and the players were trying to pump up the crowd. I even got into it with Laney Pope one time when she asked me to sit down and I said no stand up and cheer for team they deserve it.

It just makes no sense to me. It's college football! Where do you sit? I'll come down and cheer with you guys. And we can be the tens of hardcore Wake Football fans who want to be vocal. I left without much of a voice after Fridays game.

Me and Grant Dawson were talking about the lack of cheering from our fanbase. I have been going to games for 28 years and I have been asked to sit down and be quiet in games where we were beating top 25 times and the players were trying to pump up the crowd. I even got into it with Laney Pope one time when she asked me to sit down and I said no stand up and cheer for team they deserve it.

(I really like Grant Dawson-one of the best WF Football alums and a hometown guy.)

How does sitting down stop someone from clapping and cheering?
All you have to do is sit down when play resumes to keep the guy behind you from complaining.
When WXII-12 starts featuring WF Football the same way the stations in Logan do for USU then Grant Dawson might see small steps in improvement. If it weren’t for the Journal’s change in coverage back under Grobe I’m not sure WF would have brought out what we had Friday night. W-S as a community needs to make WF the true hometown sports team.

Some old great-grandma was sitting diagonally behind me and when Utah State first came out, I stood up and boo'd. She started talking to her husband about how displeased she was that a Wake Forest fan stood up to boo the opposing team and proceeded to give me dirty looks. If I was not there with all the women in my life I would have laid into those old bastards. Whenever something bad happened during the game for Wake Forest she would say such outrageous things like "good grief" or "goodness gracious." These are the results of keeping Wellman around until his prostate was the size of an avocado. He catered to the only generation and type of person who didn't want his head on a platter. Now Currie not only has to increase attendance, but change the culture of fan too. If I had to guess peak actual attendance approached 26,000 when all the students were there, bands were there, youth football, etc., but that visitor side really filtered out after halftime, and the home side also had a lot of people leave early.

kudos for Currie and his staff in promoting this game. They deserve a lot of credit for the attendance bump. Have to admit, Currie so far > than Wellman. Nice student turnout for the first half, still don't understand why they all leave at halftime. Currie needs to work on that. Do students leave the soccer game 1/2 way through as it appears that they have good crowds for the entire game there?

3:45 experience v 2:00. Plus constant stoppages of play, unnecessarily long replay reviews, etc. time to speed up the games.

(I really like Grant Dawson-one of the best WF Football alums and a hometown guy.)

How does sitting down stop someone from clapping and cheering?
All you have to do is sit down when play resumes to keep the guy behind you from complaining.
When WXII-12 starts featuring WF Football the same way the stations in Logan do for USU then Grant Dawson might see small steps in improvement. If it weren’t for the Journal’s change in coverage back under Grobe I’m not sure WF would have brought out what we had Friday night. W-S as a community needs to make WF the true hometown sports team.

Exhibit 1: Evidence of the influence of the OGB:

We’re less than 24 hrs away from the premiere of @wxii's new Weekly Digital Special called "The Wake Zone"! You can catch it every Tuesday evening at 6:45pm on the WXII 12 Facebook Page! @WXIISports @DemonDeacons @WakeFB @Les_Johns @ConorONeillWSJ #TheWakeZone

You do realize the visitor side is where the visiting sideline/bench is located, correct?

Is that a commonly used term elsewhere? Maybe it's my LOWF sensitivity, but I don't ever hear fans of other schools refer to the "visitor's side" of their own home stadium. Reminds me of high school where there actually is a visitor's side, filled with fans of the visiting team. Maybe I'm wrong and that's common parlance. :noidea:

Is that a commonly used term elsewhere? Maybe it's my LOWF sensitivity, but I don't ever hear fans of other schools refer to the "visitor's side" of their own home stadium. Reminds me of high school where there actually is a visitor's side, filled with fans of the visiting team. Maybe I'm wrong and that's common parlance. :noidea:

I think it’s pretty common and refers to the sidelines, not the stands.

BoA stadium for the Panthers users visitor’s side in its official description of the stadium.

The UNC game....

3 weeks ago looked like a good crowd of maybe 27-28,000. Now ? Oh my, factor in 4-5,000 in blue, ESPN and the enhanced hype....32,300 is my guess.

GO DEACS !

Yeah it's gonna be close to 8-10k in blue. It's always sad when half of the East side is baby blue/red when we play Carolina and State.

Yup. Had they come in at 0-2 or even 1-1 maybe that. Knowing that Wake fans/students don't support athletics the way they should (yeah I said it), there will be a large contingent of baby blue assholes and dickheads with egos bigger than the state of Texas strolling through the stadium proclaiming victory before the game and calling on Clemson as the ones to wait in line for their upcoming defeat.

"The ceiling is the Roof".

Yeah it's gonna be close to 8-10k in blue. It's always sad when half of the East side is baby blue/red when we play Carolina and State.

Agreed. Although I will say, the NC State game is one of my favorites games each year and I don't really care for their fans except for the fact we have one thing in common............FUCK CAROLINA.

The UNC game....

3 weeks ago looked like a good crowd of maybe 27-28,000. Now ? Oh my, factor in 4-5,000 in blue, ESPN and the enhanced hype....32,300 is my guess.

GO DEACS !

Not sure what our stadium attendance record is, but this will likely be close.
And if not for an all time record, I guarantee it will be a record for a Friday night game.

Back