• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guess the Attendance

Yup. Had they come in at 0-2 or even 1-1 maybe that. Knowing that Wake fans/students don't support athletics the way they should (yeah I said it), there will be a large contingent of baby blue assholes and dickheads with egos bigger than the state of Texas strolling through the stadium proclaiming victory before the game and calling on Clemson as the ones to wait in line for their upcoming defeat.

"The ceiling is the Roof".

Wake Forest has 8,000 students. UNC has 30,000. To make matters worse (or better, depending on the context), WF has a higher percentage of students from outside of NC. That means a higher percentage that leave the state/area after graduating and are not within driving distance to attend regular football games. I think our fans are equally as passionate, just less available to attend games. When you factor in the respective levels of success, WF fan support is pretty good.

The student section is embarrassing. I don't know what the problem is there. I was in law school and found time to attend most home games. It's fun, free entertainment. I'll also agree that our crowd seems way older and quieter than any of our in-state rivals. Not really sure the reason for that either.

Wake Forest has 8,000 students. UNC has 30,000. To make matters worse (or better, depending on the context), WF has a higher percentage of students from outside of NC. That means a higher percentage that leave the state/area after graduating and are not within driving distance to attend regular football games. I think our fans are equally as passionate, just less available to attend games. When you factor in the respective levels of success, WF fan support is pretty good.

The student section is embarrassing. I don't know what the problem is there. I was in law school and found time to attend most home games. It's fun, free entertainment. I'll also agree that our crowd seems way older and quieter than any of our in-state rivals. Not really sure the reason for that either.

You’re just wrong here. We have some very passionate fans, but not many. Wake students generally don’t care about sports very much.

You’re just wrong here. We have some very passionate fans, but not many. Wake students generally don’t care about sports very much.

I said the student section is embarrassing?

UNC's average attendance in 2017 was 50k. Wake Forest's was 28k. We are less than 1/3 of the size and have way less support from non-graduates. That doesn't seem too bad. Further, if you look at the ration of average attendance to student enrollment, Wake Forest is THIRD in the ACC behind ND and Miami.

UNC's average attendance in 2017 was 50k. Wake Forest's was 28k. We are less than 1/3 of the size and have way less support from non-graduates. That doesn't seem too bad. Further, if you look at the ration of average attendance to student enrollment, Wake Forest is THIRD in the ACC behind ND and Miami.

You and I both know that the total attendance number isn’t a good measure of fan support at Wake. How often is that 28,000 featuring a minority of wake fans. I think we can grow our fan support, but it will take work and sustained success in either FB or BKB. I think Currie understands and appreciates that. They have been getting after it with the I’m a Fan campaign.

I agree. I am critical of the fanbase but I am VERY critical of the students. They are the energy of the stadium and without their voices and energy, it leaves a gapping hole not only in the bleachers, but in the noise level as well. I leave most every game with less of a voice than I came in with.

I totally understand all of this and agree at times that Wake fans do a decent job (I didn't say good) of supporting athletics. I don't think the numbers of opposing fans bother me as much as the lack of enthusiasm that I see during football games from both students and fans.

I agree. I am critical of the fanbase but I am VERY critical of the students. They are the energy of the stadium and without their voices and energy, it leaves a gapping hole not only in the bleachers, but in the noise level as well. I leave most every game with less of a voice than I came in with.

Those same students populate the fan base.

You and I both know that the total attendance number isn’t a good measure of fan support at Wake. How often is that 28,000 featuring a minority of wake fans. I think we can grow our fan support, but it will take work and sustained success in either FB or BKB. I think Currie understands and appreciates that. They have been getting after it with the I’m a Fan campaign.

UNC suffers from the exact same phenomena with regards to opposing fans when they play Clemson, ND, etc. The difference is UNC's stadium has a much higher capacity than ours, which caps the influence those fan bases can have in Winston.

I agree we need better fan support. I was at Utah State. I'll be there Friday.

Any students caught leaving at halftime should be forced to pay the entire balance of outstanding parking tickets issued by campus police.

This. I've shed tears as an adult over the Deacs multiple times, been kicked out after getting into fights at basketball and football games(SAD!), pushed away two girlfriends over the Deacs and am like 90% sure Wake is the reason I take blood pressure meds.

Dave Doeren (NC State coach) will shot gun a beer if his fans stay during halftime or actually come back into the stadium at beginning of 3rd quarter
https://247sports.com/Article/ACC-Network-Dave-Doeren-NC-State-shotgun-beer-134953767/

Bottom line - this is not just a Wake problem. Not excusing it (the students) - just adding some additional context.

I think we're in an era where the tailgating scene rivals the game itself. Younger folks just seem more focused on that due to the individualistic society we seem to be living in. I think a lot of existing sociological concepts would tend to back up this theory.

UNC suffers from the exact same phenomena with regards to opposing fans when they play Clemson, ND, etc. The difference is UNC's stadium has a much higher capacity than ours, which caps the influence those fan bases can have in Winston.

I agree we need better fan support. I was at Utah State. I'll be there Friday.

Agreed.

Not sure what our stadium attendance record is, but this will likely be close.
And if not for an all time record, I guarantee it will be a record for a Friday night game.

AIR, the official record is like 37,400 something for a UNC game when two temp bleachers were added on the Hill and another in front of Bridger. I attended the ND game when 35,500 something showed for that night game.

Then there was the infamous VT game when Hokie students printed and sold several thousand bogus tix that pushed unofficial attendance to near 40,000. Was at that one too and that crowd was crazy.

Yep, that ND night game was fun even in a losing effort.

I believe that photos taken from the air that night over the capacity filled stadium are still available for sale.

Back