• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Sam got his first ACC win against FSU in an ugly game where he only got us in the end zone one time. Everyone agrees he gets us three touchdowns Saturday and the defense steps up for the third week in a row.

Happy for Sam he deserves it.

Our defense was on the field for 44 plays in the first half. We can't lean on them with our rapid offense pace at this time of year. Conor, can you ask Clawson what his adjustments were at halftime in anticipation of Bud Fosters second half attack.

Neither Newman, Clawson or Ruggiero had good games. Running game was very predictable. There’s no pass out of the RPO (OC design apparently). Claude was rarely thrown a catchable ball. Hinton was forced to make circus catches of uncatchable balls. Coach must find the right #2s for our #1s in the WR corps so Newman and OC confidently use them. You can’t win in our offense relying upon 2 receivers alone. Newman must improve his game and play faster as in John Wolford speed.

The 1st half first offensive series was surprising but not surprising to the opponent: Two run plays followed by 3rd and long. This formula seemed to continue for awhile. Our passing game should be used to set up the running game, not the other way around.

Agree. And I'm pretty sure this team was on 3rd string corners and second string safeties. They've had a bunch of DBs go out. I so wish we could be a little more creative offensively.

Everyone has success running counters, misdirection, and cutbacks vs us, but we never try them....screens, draws, orbits, opitions for Hinton (we can run Carney at Wildcat but never Hinton? Makes no sense with his shiftiness, speed, and throwing ability), and pitches. We saw rollouts by Jamie inside the 10 vs NC State but can't recall one otherwise.

Last edited:
Our playcalling is very vanilla. We tried one orbit with Hinton against State. That's about as outside the box we have gone in weeks. I am still shocked that we have a former QB as a WR and he hasn't attempted one pass all season.

Teams that can crowd the box and trust their corners to slow down our receivers will give us trouble, particularly since they know exactly what we are going to do.

Last edited:
There is real irony in Conor's 3rd Takeaway:

3. PERIMETER RUNS
The same that was true against Louisville was true against Virginia Tech, in that the Deacons’ defense was adept in stopping straightaway runs.
But when the Hokies, just like the Cardinals, used quarterback runs, misdirection and jet sweeps, that’s when Virginia Tech gained most of its 228 rushing yards.
“They did a great job with their perimeter run game. We really had a hard time getting off their perimeter blocks and you know, they made a lot of big plays on the perimeter against us,” Clawson said.

Running Carney on sweeps is laughable. Not in his skill set. Our delayed RPO against good DL and coordinators is a give away down. Handing the ball to backs standing still must have been Bud Foster's retirement gift. Clemson will try not to laugh in film sessions.

Running Carney on sweeps is laughable. Not in his skill set. Our delayed RPO against good DL and coordinators is a give away down. Handing the ball to backs standing still must have been Bud Foster's retirement gift. Clemson will try not to laugh in film sessions.

splitting Carney out wide to go empty is also laughable

It's almost like Carney's not the answer as an every-down back.

I appreciate all that Cade has done for our program and thinks he deserves to start but we really need to see more of Walker and CBS (and less of the RPO), especially to go wide and keep the defense from bunching up everything inside. Sometimes with our confounding RPO delayed and interminably slow hand offs , it looks like a rugby scrum inside with all those bodies stuffed there.

I appreciate all that Cade has done for our program and thinks he deserves to start but we really need to see more of Walker and CBS (and less of the RPO), especially to go wide and keep the defense from bunching up everything inside. Sometimes with our confounding RPO delayed and interminably slow hand offs , it looks like a rugby scrum inside with all those bodies stuffed there.

So agree. Faking the RPO and flipping it out to an in-motion Hinton (or CBS or Walker, for that matter) could produce big runs. LBs almost always take a step to the middle when we hike the ball.

Neither Newman, Clawson or Ruggiero had good games. Running game was very predictable. There’s no pass out of the RPO (OC design apparently). Claude was rarely thrown a catchable ball. Hinton was forced to make circus catches of uncatchable balls. Coach must find the right #2s for our #1s in the WR corps so Newman and OC confidently use them. You can’t win in our offense relying upon 2 receivers alone. Newman must improve his game and play faster as in John Wolford speed.

The 1st half first offensive series was surprising but not surprising to the opponent: Two run plays followed by 3rd and long. This formula seemed to continue for awhile. Our passing game should be used to set up the running game, not the other way around.

Pretty accurate post IMO. I thought the OL did a pretty good job overall in pass protection. Newman needs to get rid of the ball a hair sooner without rushing poor throws. Running game was a huge disappointment. If Walker gets only 3 carries because he still can't pass protect, that is pretty disappointing too. He is the most dynamic runner we have. I think the D really feels the loss of Strnad.

Pretty accurate post IMO. I thought the OL did a pretty good job overall in pass protection. Newman needs to get rid of the ball a hair sooner without rushing poor throws. Running game was a huge disappointment. If Walker gets only 3 carries because he still can't pass protect, that is pretty disappointing too. He is the most dynamic runner we have. I think the D really feels the loss of Strnad.

Re-watched the game.

In the second half 30 and 18 were playing linebacker a good bit and were faked out, lost and whiffing on tackles.

30 worked his ass off trying to make plays down field, as did Greer, to their credit. 18 stayed lost.

So yeah, Strnad would help. We lost because we were without Strnad, Scotty W. and our best pass blocking back, CBS.

Will CBS return this season?

Outside of the empty backfield QB draw and a few RB runs out of the Wildcat - have we had a single designed run that was not via the slow RPO? Not including QB scrambles on pass plays.

Re-watched the game.

In the second half 30 and 18 were playing linebacker a good bit and were faked out, lost and whiffing on tackles.

30 worked his ass off trying to make plays down field, as did Greer, to their credit. 18 stayed lost.

So yeah, Strnad would help. We lost because we were without Strnad, Scotty W. and our best pass blocking back, CBS.

Will CBS return this season?

I don't believe Strnad and Scotty were anywhere close to the difference in the game. We definitely missed them, but we had more issues than that.

CBS played at VT - watched the first few kickoffs go over his head, had at least one series on offense with no carries

Hinton came in to field kicks and I assumed it was to give the team a spark, but he never attempted a return

Last edited:
I don't believe Strnad and Scotty were anywhere close to the difference in the game. We definitely missed them, but we had more issues than that.

CBS played at VT - watched the first few kickoffs go over his head, had at least one series on offense with no carries

Hinton came in to field kicks and I assumed it was to give the team a spark, but he never attempted a return

According to the Participation Chart, you are correct. Interesting. https://s3.amazonaws.com/wakeforestsports.com/documents/2019/11/9/vt_wf.pdf

Back