• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Somewhat off topic but is the current roster one of the most talented in Wake football history? There are several guys who project at the next level and even of those who may not they’re still really good at the college level (thinking Carney for instance - maybe not an NFL level back but one hell of a college back).

Somewhat off topic but is the current roster one of the most talented in Wake football history? There are several guys who project at the next level and even of those who may not they’re still really good at the college level (thinking Carney for instance - maybe not an NFL level back but one hell of a college back).

Maybe the most talented offensively. Definitely not on the defensive side. 2006 team was stout on D.

The 2006 defense had the following players get drafted and/or play in the NFL:

- Stanley Arnoux LB
- Aaron Curry LB
- Josh Gattis S
- Alphonso Smith CB
- Jeremy Thompson DE
- Jyles Tucker DE
- Chip Vaughn S

In addition to those 7, the following defensive players signed NFL free agent contracts:

- Jon Abbate LB
- Bryan Andrews DE
- Patrick Ghee (his brother red-shirted in 2006 and also played in the NFL) S
- John Russell DT
- Riley Swanson CB
- Kevin Patterson S

That's 13 defensive players that played in the NFL or got an extended NFL look. I believe the only two players in the Deacs regular rotation that didn't get NFL looks (and they may have) were Boo Robinson and Zach Stukes, and both of those guys were productive college DTs. That 2006 defense was absolutely loaded.

- Stanley Arnoux LB
- Aaron Curry LB
- Josh Gattis S
- Alphonso Smith CB
- Jeremy Thompson DE
- Jyles Tucker DE
- Chip Vaughn S

In addition to those 7, the following defensive players signed NFL free agent contracts:

- Jon Abbate LB
- Bryan Andrews DE
- John Russell DT
- Riley Swanson CB
- Kevin Patterson S

That's 13 defensive players that played in the NFL or got an extended NFL look. I believe the only two players in the Deacs regular rotation that didn't get NFL looks (and they may have) were Boo Robinson and Zach Stukes, and both of those guys were productive college DTs. That 2006 defense was absolutely loaded.

Defense wins championships

Yeah, no real comparison between those guys and our current defense.

But, of that list from 2006, who actually had a career the length of the NFL average of three years ? Curry (4 yrs, prolific bust) Tucker (4), and Smith (4)? Just read that the Broncos traded up to draft Smith in the 2009 second round and the 2010 first round pick that they traded to the Seahawks was used to draft HOF Earl Thomas.

Arnoux didn't last long, got chewed out by Ditka on film saying he didn't want to draft him, torn Achilles.
Vaughan wound up in the CFL after two years.
Gattis two years.

Gattis at least has a promising coaching career going for him (that is, unless Michigan's offense continues to suck this year)

Gattis at least has a promising coaching career going for him (that is, unless Michigan's offense continues to suck this year)

UM's offense will continue to suck this year and they will get absolutely blown out by tOSU.

Yeah, no real comparison between those guys and our current defense.

But, of that list from 2006, who actually had a career the length of the NFL average of three years ? Curry (4 yrs, prolific bust) Tucker (4), and Smith (4)? Just read that the Broncos traded up to draft Smith in the 2009 second round and the 2010 first round pick that they traded to the Seahawks was used to draft HOF Earl Thomas.

Arnoux didn't last long, got chewed out by Ditka on film saying he didn't want to draft him, torn Achilles.
Vaughan wound up in the CFL after two years.
Gattis two years.

That's the nature of the beast in the NFL. Lots of drafted players wash out because of injury or lack of productivity, even Dawgs such as Jarvis Jones (1st round pick done after 3 seasons), David Pollack (1st round pick, done after two seasons), Lindsay Scott (1st pick done 3 seasons), Matt Stinchcomb (1st round pick 1 career start). Being an NFL draft demonstrates a level of talent and ability flashed in college which may or may not translate into a long NFL career.

UM's offense will continue to suck this year and they will get absolutely blown out by tOSU.

having not paid attention at all to UM football (other than seeing their scores), is it a coaching or talent thing?

That's the nature of the beast in the NFL. Lots of drafted players wash out because of injury or lack of productivity, even Dawgs such as Jarvis Jones (1st round pick done after 3 seasons), David Pollack (1st round pick, done after two seasons), Lindsay Scott (1st pick done 3 seasons), Matt Stinchcomb (1st round pick 1 career start). Being an NFL draft demonstrates a level of talent and ability flashed in college which may or may not translate into a long NFL career.

Lindsay Scott, holy fuck. That's a reach. He also played four season for the Saints, which was the hurdle I was looking at.

And you left out Odell Thurman. I think you also left out a couple of dozen other Georgia players who were picked throught the draft who had long careers.

Let the record show for Mil and others that I didn't bring up the Dawgs on this thread.

I ONLY HIT BACK !!

having not paid attention at all to UM football (other than seeing their scores), is it a coaching or talent thing?

It's a Shea Patterson thing. It doesn't help that they have a new offense this year, but Patterson didn't exactly set the world on fire at Ole Miss. IOW, Michigan should be able to have better quarterback than Shea Patterson.

Couldn't resist tweaking BT about his Dawgs... Lindsay Scott didn't need an NFL career after this TD to preserve the Dawgs unbeaten season, Scott should never have to pay for anything ever again in Georgia:

Coaching. They have 3 NFL caliber WRs and the former #1 HS QB in the country.

I was just reluctant to lay Michigan's shitty offense at the feet of Gattis at this point.

Justin Fields is what you expect from a #1 HS QB. Not Shea Patterson. I'd take Jacob Eason ahead of Patterson too, but i didn't see the Cal game.

- Stanley Arnoux LB
- Aaron Curry LB
- Josh Gattis S
- Alphonso Smith CB
- Jeremy Thompson DE
- Jyles Tucker DE
- Chip Vaughn S

- Jon Abbate LB
- Bryan Andrews DE
- John Russell DT
- Riley Swanson CB
- Kevin Patterson S

Yeah this is the gold standard for Wake.

Couldn't resist tweaking BT about his Dawgs... Lindsay Scott didn't need an NFL career after this TD to preserve the Dawgs unbeaten season, Scott should never have to pay for anything ever again in Georgia:

It's all good. I'd wash his feet right now.

- Stanley Arnoux LB
- Aaron Curry LB
- Josh Gattis S
- Alphonso Smith CB
- Jeremy Thompson DE
- Jyles Tucker DE
- Chip Vaughn S

- Jon Abbate LB
- Bryan Andrews DE
- John Russell DT
- Riley Swanson CB
- Kevin Patterson S

I can't believe Boo didn't even get a look?

I can't believe Boo didn't even get a look?

Boo got a few cups of coffee in the NFL.
UFA signing with Eagles May 2010 "three year" contract; waived Sep 3, 2010
FA Browns, Oct 2010 one week on practice squad
FA Bills practice squad Dec 2010

Back