• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Thank you for posting, DeacAssured, and ...

MTOW film review of the game: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_2d9355f4-e448-11e9-8497-53b68ed832d2.html

Couldn't agree more with the following:

So, third-and-goal from the 3: I don’t love the empty backfield QB draw. Boston College had it well-diagnosed

First-and-goal from beyond the 5-yard line, the extended zone-read needs to be thrown out. That’s the worst possible situation for it.

It’s perplexing to me that the Deacons didn’t try to put together a drive with 41 seconds left and all three timeouts.

Would love to hear Clawson's take on the last one. Plus I believe BC only had one TO at that point. You're the leading passing team in the ACC, have a QB that hasn't thrown bad picks, and have a decided advantage at WR on downfield throws - to me, that is just throwing away a possession. And for a team that plays so many close games, you can't afford to throw away a possession. At least take a shot down the field on first down to see if you can get a drive going.

Couldn't agree more with the following:

So, third-and-goal from the 3: I don’t love the empty backfield QB draw. Boston College had it well-diagnosed

First-and-goal from beyond the 5-yard line, the extended zone-read needs to be thrown out. That’s the worst possible situation for it.

It’s perplexing to me that the Deacons didn’t try to put together a drive with 41 seconds left and all three timeouts.

Would love to hear Clawson's take on the last one. Plus I believe BC only had one TO at that point. You're the leading passing team in the ACC, have a QB that hasn't thrown bad picks, and have a decided advantage at WR on downfield throws - to me, that is just throwing away a possession. And for a team that plays so many close games, you can't afford to throw away a possession. At least take a shot down the field on first down to see if you can get a drive going.

feel like we did the same against UNC. and in both situations we got the ball to start the 2nd, I see no reason why you don't try to get the double scores. especially since I believe we went 3 and out in both starts to the 2nd half.

I think BC also perhaps exposed our D to sweep run plays. They made a lot of adjustments at halftime....fortunately for us they also made dumb mistakes and penalties. Our adjustments were getting the ball to our TE as well as Hinton.

BTW, the BC DB did a pretty good job on Sage.

SIDEBAR : Anyone know why Clawson was so visibly angry with the officials in the 3rd quarter ? Lasted over 2 possessions with us on D....

Let me be blunt, Mel Blount that is. Sage made a one handed TD catch because his other hand was being twisted behind his back. He had more hands on him than Marilyn Monroe at a cocktail party. The only completion to a wide open WR was to Scotty, and he immediately fell down short of the first down marker. We will not be overconfident after this game.

Newman ran the ball 23 times and has been getting hit "right as he releases the ball" a lot. Claw probably avoiding the potential sack/fumble or whatever - uber-conservative.

Also, that endzone catch by Scotty Washington was almost as impressive as what Sage did. Go look at the photo/video --- really nice grab by Scotty W.

Let me be blunt, Mel Blount that is. Sage made a one handed TD catch because his other hand was being twisted behind his back. He had more hands on him than Marilyn Monroe at a cocktail party. The only completion to a wide open WR was to Scotty, and he immediately fell down short of the first down marker. We will not be overconfident after this game.

I wasn't clear....meant for the game, not that play.

Conor, do you know if Wake has stopped doing (or perhaps stopped making publicly available) the snap counts for each game? I haven't been able to find them in the weekly game notes

My understanding is the snap counts are no longer captured by SID due to lack of resources but would like to hear if Conor has addt'l info on this.

Yep... I was bitching about this in the concession stand line in Alumni Stadium at halftime waiting to buy another beer.

3 TO's and not taking at least a shot downfield to get into FG range was frustrating to say the least with the potential for a "make it take it" receiving the 2nd half kickoff.

Yep... I was bitching about this in the concession stand line in Alumni Stadium at halftime waiting to buy another beer.

3 TO's and not taking at least a shot downfield to get into FG range was frustrating to say the least with the potential for a "make it take it" receiving the 2nd half kickoff.

That was baffling. If you are really wanting to play conservative then just do a screen out to CBS or Hinton and see if they can't get 10-15 quick yards so you are in better field position so you can try and be more aggressive. Just lame way to end especially with momentum going to BC side.

Trying to sort this out so I don't have 4 straight posts or something ...

Thanks to other posters for answering Q about why Clawson was pissed. As I said in film review, I think refs missed the substitution because Dillon stayed on the sideline and Bailey came in -- refs probably didn't notice. I know Duane Heydt, the main referee, is one of the better ones in league, so ... they're all human.

Also, I'll ask about the snap count later this week. It hurts to not have it available, obviously. There is a lack of manpower in the SID dept. -- that's a separate story as to why, and it's frustrating as hell -- but it's my understanding that the football staff put those snap count charts together. So there might have just been an executive decision made to not continue them anymore. Which would be understandable, as I'm sure it's an arduous task that might not have much long-term benefit for the team to actually make them public knowledge.

I know Clawson's analytics probably said it wasn't worth the risk to push the envelope on that last possession, but I'd be really curious as to why. As others pointed out: WF hadn't turned the ball over yet, Jamie hadn't really made any dangerous throws. To me, you've gotta trust in him and the offense a little more in that situation. Now, I think they said on the broadcast that Kansas broke a huge run and got points before the half against BC, so OK, maybe a little more benefit of the doubt for just having Carney run on 1st down. Still figured that was a chance to be more aggressive than they were.

Excellent point, Hondo, on Dom's technique. I didn't notice it, but I did ask him if he could feel that the ball had that kind of backspin immediately upon release; hope his answer shines some light on that: "I knew I hit it clean, and when you’re at that area around the 50 there’s certain things you have to play with, but I just knew I hit it right and it felt good, we were excited with it."

I think BC also perhaps exposed our D to sweep run plays. They made a lot of adjustments at halftime....fortunately for us they also made dumb mistakes and penalties. Our adjustments were getting the ball to our TE as well as Hinton.

BTW, the BC DB did a pretty good job on Sage.

SIDEBAR : Anyone know why Clawson was so visibly angry with the officials in the 3rd quarter ? Lasted over 2 possessions with us on D....

I believe the ref signaled that bc was substituting which would allow us to sub, but then they called 12 men on the field.... We should have had time to make that sub. As per usual clawdaddy was right

Someone has to track snap counts to determine redshirt eligibility. Has this always been self-reported by the programs themselves?

Someone has to track snap counts to determine redshirt eligibility. Has this always been self-reported by the programs themselves?

I believe so. But would imagine there are some checks/balances from NCAA and/or leagues.

Don’t think it is an issue with the four game rule. Just make sure they don’t play in more than four games regardless of snap counts and you are ok.

Don’t think it is an issue with the four game rule. Just make sure they don’t play in more than four games regardless of snap counts and you are ok.

Snap counts are how you know participation.

Yes, but there is a separate participation stat that is publicly available for every game. You are registered as a participant in a game whether you played a single snap or 56.

Here is the link to the participation tracker for the BC game: https://godeacs.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11268&path=football#starters

Under the new NCAA 4 game red-shirt rule, no further tracking of snaps is required. That said, I'm sure the coaches know exactly the number of snaps for each player.

Pretty sure you only need to count to 1 though.

Trying to sort this out so I don't have 4 straight posts or something ...

Thanks to other posters for answering Q about why Clawson was pissed. As I said in film review, I think refs missed the substitution because Dillon stayed on the sideline and Bailey came in -- refs probably didn't notice. I know Duane Heydt, the main referee, is one of the better ones in league, so ... they're all human.

The other thing that was missed that I think he was upset about was his attempt to get a timeout before the penalty and it wasn't honored. That was my interpretation of his gesturing at the time.

The other thing that was missed that I think he was upset about was his attempt to get a timeout before the penalty and it wasn't honored. That was my interpretation of his gesturing at the time.

No. It was just the substitution. That’s what the arms out to the side means. But since Dillon was tackled at the sideline and went out, they missed the substitution.

Yes, but there is a separate participation stat that is publicly available for every game. You are registered as a participant in a game whether you played a single snap or 56.

Here is the link to the participation tracker for the BC game: https://godeacs.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11268&path=football#starters

Under the new NCAA 4 game red-shirt rule, no further tracking of snaps is required. That said, I'm sure the coaches know exactly the number of snaps for each player.

Yes, couldn't have said this better myself. Thought about this more at lunch, they really only need to publish the participation chart to track the 4 games rule.

It'd be nice to have the snap counts, but like injury reports, there's no requirement for them.

Back