• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

At this juncture would prefer:
- less RPO near goal line or where the box is stacked until know the OL and Backs have resolved execution issues. Try a power I possibly?
- much faster speed on exchange from Tom to Newman (Defense is all over OL by the time Newman has a grip; this is easy stuff)
- much improved tackling or we’ll be hoping for 5 win season
- DBs must read much better.

- less RPO near goal line or where the box is stacked until know the OL and Backs have resolved execution issues. Try a power I possibly?
- much faster speed on exchange from Tom to Newman (Defense is all over OL by the time Newman has a grip; this is easy stuff)

- and better pass rush. Need to get pressure on the QB.

A lot easier to run those plays at midfield than inside the 5.

I mean, they've gotta do something different, obviously. Clawson said as much. But it's one game against a talented front-7. Can't overreact and revamp everything just because of a bad quarter and a half of short-yardage situations.

After rewatching, I agree, can’t overreact. David Woodward is a special LB and who knows how that whole game looks if just that one guy wasn’t flying around the ball every single play.

Change the snap count on short yardage plays.

I liked the time that Jamie, just came up under center and we quick snapped the ball-- got like 2 or 3 yds. Make more sense than getting the ball 4 or 5 yards behind the line. Thanks for the report Conor

Just got to this part while re-watching. Yep, much more effective. Need to do that.

I liked the time that Jamie, just came up under center and we quick snapped the ball-- got like 2 or 3 yds. Make more sense than getting the ball 4 or 5 yards behind the line. Thanks for the report Conor

Newman lined up under center at the goal line and lost a yard.

Newman lined up under center at the goal line and lost a yard.

That’s because he tried to run under the center too.

Nice work, Conor. Thanks. This was interesting.

• That’s as high off the ground I’ve seen Carney. At this point, he’s got eight carries for 72 yards. Means he had 17 carries for 33 yards the rest of the way.

Pretty rough stat. That’s not just a short yardage issue. That’s a running game issue.

Lots of good notes. Thanks for putting in the time.

That's a pretty good nickname.

In Clawson's interview yesterday, he seemed to strongly indicate that at least on two of those goal line runs, Carney missed spaces to run into the end zone. I played it back again to make sure I understood. I then rewatched the goal line runs and honestly didn't totally see it. On one run, I could see where Carney could have fallen forward right between the center and guard into the end zone I guess. He got stacked up left.

I read Clawson's comments as the following: Carney is a big boy and can take the criticism. And, he was on the field fewer snaps in years past and I expect we will see more Beal-Smith and a Walker series or two on the belief that Carney was fatigued (mental as much as physical) by that last series.

Absolutely agree with Clawson about not going shotgun at the goalline takes away the QB run, especially with this QB. Other than the read-option keep in which Newman scored, I wish we could have seen more of that in short yardage situations.

Can start Carney beside Newman then send him in motion as a WR, then QB draw or keep Carney beside Newman as an extra blocker.

Absolutely agree with Clawson about not going shotgun at the goalline takes away the QB run, especially with this QB. Other than the read-option keep in which Newman scored, I wish we could have seen more of that in short yardage situations.

Can start Carney beside Newman then send him in motion as a WR, then QB draw or keep Carney beside Newman as an extra blocker.

We haven’t seen the ‘Wild Deac’ formation yet in goal line situations.
Hinton would be a good triple threat here and his appearance there should confuse or freeze the defense.

If we are going to go shotgun on the goal line, I'd like to see some pistol formation then to give Carney or whoever is back there the chance to take the handoff with forward momentum.

We haven’t seen the ‘Wild Deac’ formation yet in goal line situations.
Hinton would be a good triple threat here and his appearance there should confuse or freeze the defense.

I like it!

Good write-up on Walker's debut as a running back. Great start to what should be a fruitful career at Wake.

Back