• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Scotty made a big mistake being AWOL at both the bowl game and whichever senior bowl he was invited to. He had a chance to show he was healed. Did not help himself by not playing I am afraid.

Is Bassey the first Deac expected to be drafted?

Realize that no WF player will get drafted before Saturday. Was interested to see that in the NFL Draft Tracker, 8 Deacons are listed:
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=Wake+Forest&page=1&status=ALL&year=2020

That is the same as Clemson and Miami, and more than every other ACC school, and it's really not close: UNC, Cuse and UVA all have 4. FWIW, State has 2, Duke has 1 and GT has zero.

Clawson has done a nice job at cultivating and developing players to give them an NFL shot, particularly as they compare to their incoming recruiting rankings.

More should be made of this... HINT HINT....

DC mentioned in the lunch call that he felt 8-10 Deacs could be on League rosters next year, noting as many possible draftees as the big boys. In Claw We Trust.

Two notes. Carney is listed but he already said that the bowl game was his last game and he was hanging up his cleats.

Herron being listed as a Guard probablg means teams see him there and helps his draft stock

Two notes. Carney is listed but he already said that the bowl game was his last game and he was hanging up his cleats.

Herron being listed as a Guard probablg means teams see him there and helps his draft stock

I think Carney said he was going to work for his family’s construction business.

Scotty made a big mistake being AWOL at both the bowl game and whichever senior bowl he was invited to. He had a chance to show he was healed. Did not help himself by not playing I am afraid.

This keeps coming up, not sure if it's always been your posts or you and others.

But shit, probably time to let this one go. Scotty went through warmups for the bowl game and couldn't go. He seemed to be in a great mood and indicated he was going to play when I saw him about a week before they left for NYC. If you can find on-the-record comments in which he says it was his decision not to play, i.e. he went AWOL, please send them along.

Also, to points above: I think Clawson would be right about having 8-10 players either drafted or sign as free agents in a normal year. This isn't a normal year, obviously. I don't think that estimate takes into account that teams reportedly won't sign as many UDFA's because it's unlikely they'll have normal mini camp and OTA schedules. Will be really interesting to see tomorrow who gets scooped up.

Lastly: Good points, DeacsOrDie. I saw Carney listed in another draft index of players yesterday -- I'm sure some draft "experts" simply profile every senior of a Power 5 who's put up halfway decent numbers. Have heard/read the same thing on Herron, too. He's seen as a flex OL who can spend a year or two developing and learning tackle and guard. Assume he gets picked up in the 6th or 7th round.

Eve if it was his decision, I assume that Scotty would have taken into account as part of his decision that he would have a Pro Day to show he was fully healed after another three months of recovery and training.

CBS Sports picks the results for every ACC team. Their "expert" has WF going 4-8 (2-6) with wins over ODU, Nova, Cuse and BC. He admits that WF's record could easily flip with "toss-up" games against Duke, State and App.

Here is the link: http://https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/predicting-acc-win-totals-clemson-should-cruise-again-in-2020-college-football-season/

Ultimate hedger because he doesn't know shit. Love how the media ignores that App State going to have their 3rd coach in 3 years is probably going to lead them to suck. Assuming a full season, I see 8-4 as very doable, but hey what do I know I've only watched every Wake Forest game Clawson has ever coached compared to some guy in the media who has probably seen 1 or 2 of them.

Ultimate hedger because he doesn't know shit. Love how the media ignores that App State going to have their 3rd coach in 3 years is probably going to lead them to suck. Assuming a full season, I see 8-4 as very doable, but hey what do I know I've only watched every Wake Forest game Clawson has ever coached compared to some guy in the media who has probably seen 1 or 2 of them.

We could have won 10 games last season but didn’t due to injuries. It’ll happen again this season. If/when Hartman goes down we’ll be screwed.

Like it when national experts discount WF.

WF lost some talent this past year, but good programs have young players in the pipeline that can step right in at the same or even a higher level. Defense should be as deep as it has been under Clawson. If CB play steps up, this could be WF's best D in a long time.

Love WF's skill position talent on offense. Not many teams have three home run threats like Walker, Surratt and Greene. Understand the OL is a question mark, but again, feel WF has recruited better than the experts realize, and if Terrance Davis (the OL transfer from MD; started 27 games for MD; 6-3 317) is healthy, I think the OL can play at high level. If I could buy stock in a football player, I would "buy" on Sam Hartman. Admittedly, he had some flaws early on, but he was 180 pound true freshman and still threw for almost 2000 yards and 16 TDs in 8 games. Two years later, he is bigger, stronger and is entering his third season as a college QB. Think he will make a major jump in 2020.

Those expecting WF to step back will be in for a surprise.

WF lost some talent this past year, but good programs have young players in the pipeline that can step right in at the same or even a higher level. Defense should be as deep as it has been under Clawson. If CB play steps up, this could be WF's best D in a long time.

Love WF's skill position talent on offense. Not many teams have three home run threats like Walker, Surratt and Greene. Understand the OL is a question mark, but again, feel WF has recruited better than the experts realize, and if Terrance Davis (the OL transfer from MD; started 27 games for MD; 6-3 317) is healthy, I think the OL can play at high level. If I could buy stock in a football player, I would "buy" on Sam Hartman. Admittedly, he had some flaws early on, but he was 180 pound true freshman and still threw for almost 2000 yards and 16 TDs in 8 games. Two years later, he is bigger, stronger and is entering his third season as a college QB. Think he will make a major jump in 2020.

100% agree.

I LOVE that the corners are going to be in press-man more often. When you have physically talented players that lack experience, it makes so much sense. It also disrupts timing between the QB and WR and allows Boogie to do work.

100% agree.

I LOVE that the corners are going to be in press-man more often. When you have physically talented players that lack experience, it makes so much sense. It also disrupts timing between the QB and WR and allows Boogie to do work.

And Boogie looks to have a better supporting cast up front than he did last year. Clawson and company didn't go get and then keep Miles Fox just to occupy a wide seat on the bench. Add in a year of experience and strength and conditioning for the youngsters, and the D-line looks to be strong and deep.

Well said, Pilch.
I just hope the world clears up soon and we’ll be able to play a full season. I think this is a team that could surprise a lot of folks. Positive surprise, of course.

Back