• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

I hope Mike Allen's decision to transfer and find a school that will medically clear him to play doesn't have bad consequences for his future health.

That's ok blue....too many Mikes to keep track:cool:

Mike Edwards. He is an offensive tackle, and the top recruit of the 2018 class. He is transferring in hopes that a school will let him play, as Wake has medically DQ’d him.

I guess it’s worth a shot. Nothing Clawson and staff could have done to keep him around if he wants to play football.
Thanks and damn! Feel for the kid. Still hoping the other Big Mike [Allen] can make an impact. He looks like a physical freak with his size and build. Needs to make plays.

That's ok blue....too many Mikes to keep track:cool:

Definitely. Sorry about that. Mike EDWARDS left seeking a place that would let him play. Hope that playing again doesn't impact his long term health.

Deleted my post with the wrong name because I can't edit it.

Last edited:
I don't know which is more depressing, the dearth of daily Wake Forest athletic news or opening up these boards and seeing all the threads with start with "Eff You"

I would love to see some more press coverage worked in. Tie the receivers up for a few seconds and give the pass rushers a chance to do some damage.

Conor press covers me, and this old man is gonna beat him on the fly route.

Can't play press coverage in this age of social distancing!

hahaha, in all seriousness, I thought the implementation of press coverage was one of the biggest developments of the spring. Clawson wants bigger CBs to match up against the Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Tamorrion Terry types, but if you don't play press you're not fully taking advantage of their size.

This may or may not have already been discussed, but what if we end up not having a football season? What will become of the Boogie's and Sage's of the football landscape that decided to come back for another season that forwent a likely draft position? Would they be allowed to enter a supplemental NFL draft? Would they even announce the cancellation of the ncaa season in a timely fashion to even give players that opportunity of a secondary draft or free agency? I just thinking about these random hypothetical scenarios. Having said that, I fully anticipate football happening as scheduled.

This may or may not have already been discussed, but what if we end up not having a football season? What will become of the Boogie's and Sage's of the football landscape that decided to come back for another season that forwent a likely draft position? Would they be allowed to enter a supplemental NFL draft? Would they even announce the cancellation of the ncaa season in a timely fashion to even give players that opportunity of a secondary draft or free agency? I just thinking about these random hypothetical scenarios. Having said that, I fully anticipate football happening as scheduled.

If there’s not an NCAA season, I don’t think there would be an NFL season either. They’d just be in the next draft.

If the NCAA football season is canceled, don't think it's likely we would have an NFL season either. That said, the NFL supplemental draft is usually in July. So, if at the end of June, the NCAA advised that either all sports or all fall sports were canceled for the upcoming NCAA year, then all college football players who are at least 3 years out of HS could declare for the supplemental draft.

One thing that the NCAA and every other league has to resolve before starting is what to do when/if a player test positive for the corona virus during the season.

There are about 100 players (including walk-ons) on every NCAA D-1 team (130 teams). That's over 13000 D1 players, not even counting coaching and training staffs. Even if the virus is massively defeated over the Summer, at a minimum, some random cases will again arise in the Fall and Winter. So, if 7 different teams have one or more players that test positive in October, what does the NCAA do? Shutdown the sport? Shutdown the team? Continue to play games, but just exclude the players that test positive?

Same questions for the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. What if the NBA goes straight to the playoffs and just before the Lakers/Bucks NBA final a trainer on the Lakers tests positive?

On a larger scale, what do college campuses do when a student tests positive going forward? Shut-down the campus and send everyone home?

Realize at some point, everyone will have to return to an existence beyond shelter in place, but are we going to get to the point in six months or less, when we just live with the fact that some people are going to get this without going to into complete shutdown mode? If not, getting hard to see a scenario where team sports return for a long time.

Last edited:
Can't play press coverage in this age of social distancing!

hahaha, in all seriousness, I thought the implementation of press coverage was one of the biggest developments of the spring. Clawson wants bigger CBs to match up against the Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Tamorrion Terry types, but if you don't play press you're not fully taking advantage of their size.

Social distancing won't impact our tackling over the past couple of years.

If the NCAA football season is canceled, don't think it's likely we would have an NFL season either. That said, the NFL supplemental draft is usually in July. So, if at the end of June, the NCAA advised that either all sports or all fall sports were canceled for the upcoming NCAA year, then all college football players who are at least 3 years out of HS could declare for the supplemental draft.

One thing that the NCAA and every other league has to resolve before starting is what to do when/if a player test positive for the corona virus during the season.

There are about 100 players (including walk-ons) on every NCAA D-1 team (130 teams). That's over 13000 D1 players, not even counting coaching and training staffs. Even if the virus is massively defeated over the Summer, at a minimum, some random cases will again arise in the Fall and Winter. So, if 7 different teams have one or more players that test positive in October, what does the NCAA do? Shutdown the sport? Shutdown the team? Continue to play games, but just exclude the players that test positive?

Same questions for the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. What if the NBA goes straight to the playoffs and just before the Lakers/Bucks NBA final a trainer on the Lakers tests positive?

On a larger scale, what do college campuses do when a student tests positive going forward? Shut-down the campus and send everyone home?

Realize at some point, everyone will have to return to an existence beyond shelter in place, but are we going to get to the point in six months or less, when we just live with the fact that some people are going to get this without going to into complete shutdown mode? If not, getting hard to see a scenario where team sports return for a long time.

Here are my thoughts:

1) If college football season is cancelled, it is very likely every other sport season will also be cancelled (including all college sports).
2) If they are cancelling Fall sports, I would also expect in-person college classes to also be cancelled. If this happens, I think it will be difficult to expect many Wake parents to pay the same tuition for online classes as they would for an in-person class. If Wake expects them to do this, they might as well move the entire school to online in the future. If one is the same as the other (as they would likely argue) from an effectiveness standpoint, what is the point of in-person classes.
3) Players who had decided to return this Fall (Boogie or Sage) will most likely not sit out an entire year just to come back and play another year of college football. They will leave for the NFL. Also, if there is no football next year and all you expect the players to do is train and condition for 8 or 9 months, I expect many will give up football. A year and a half is a long time to expect many players (especially those who are Juniors and Seniors) to return for what would amount to graduate school. Additionally, kids are still coming from the high schools and filling roster spots. What do you do with those players? I do not think it is reasonable to expect a football team (outside of a few larger powerhouses) to carry 125 to 130 players. Current rosters are limited to 105 (can be bigger after Fall practice concludes).
4) If college sports are suspended for the Fall, what happens to the high schools. I would be surprised if high schools will be allowed to play, if college sports are not allowed. This would definitely impact kids who want to be recruited. They would have to be recruited based on their Junior year results. Many kids can change drastically between their Junior and Senior years.
5) If Fall sports are suspended and football is one of those sports, where does the money come from to fund the Winter/Spring sports. At the vast majority of schools, football funds all of the other sports programs or at least, it covers their losses. If there is not football revenue next year, it will be very difficult to fund and operate the other sports. Football revenue exceeds the revenue of all other sports combined (including basketball) by 4X. Except for a handful of schools, most men's basketball programs either break-even (barely) or operate at a loss. Football makes up the difference. If football revenues go to zero, who pays for the coaches and support staff for all the other sports programs? Additionally, how do you fund all of the support staff needed for football. In general, athletic programs do NOT have "rainy day" funds available to cover the shortfall. Since they are non-profits, they spend all revenues they bring in on a yearly basis. If there are no sports (particularly football) there is no revenue to cover expenses. Who covers the expenses? The school? Highly unlikely in many cases. In these trying times, the schools will be looking for money just to keep the main university going. They will not likely be able to increase funding (through student fees or dipping into the endowment - that's another thread) to provide it to the athletics department. I am afraid that no college football for most campuses will be devastating to their overall athletics program.
6) One suggestion to consider (completely out of the box, I know) is to consider moving college football to span winter/spring. Start the season in late February (this is when baseball starts now) and play a shortened schedule of 10 games with no off weeks. I know this overlaps other sports like basketball, but it is critical to get fans in the seats and revenue for football. It also allows those players who chose to return and seniors to have one final year.

Ultimately, everyone who loves college sports needs to hope and pray we have college football this Fall. Even if it is a shortened season (starts later or ends early), the revenues it generates are critical. The effects on recruiting and the kids who would be arriving in 2022 is huge, as I mentioned above.

^^^^

If things get or remain so bad that there are no fall sports and no in-person fall classes, then that would likely mean that many businesses would also still be closed.....many for good. If the whole world is shut down like this, sports will be the least of our worries. We would all likely be in survival mode.
Hope and pray - and don’t expect - it to come to this.

Is anyone up for some kind of emotional support group if indeed we don’t have a football season?

The thought of it puts me into a deep depression. Couple that with at least another year of Danny and we should just shut down the athletic program.

This is the emotional support group for that. That’s some Wake shit right there. Two NFL prospects come back only to not have a season.

Back