• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Conor, I really appreciate this blog post every week. It’s a nice shoutout to us fans who can’t make the games in person.

Thank you, Bud, siff and Ph. It's much appreciated.

As I think (hope) I've said before, these things are labors of love. I'm glad they're well-received, because damn, they take a while.

To the point above -- MTOW film review, where you can see Wake's defense go from having good talent individually to being good collectively: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/m...cle_310396c4-d7e4-11e9-8fc9-4fce29789388.html

Gotta keep Conor's most recent writeups on the last page so they don't get missed.

Great stuff. I appreciate all the hard work.

Last edited:
Conor, How's Country Dan doing? Use to correspond w/him email and received updates from him. Hope he is enjoying retirement.

Conor, How's Country Dan doing? Use to correspond w/him email and received updates from him. Hope he is enjoying retirement.

Dan still writes a MTO Whatever, which is a good read. I always liked Dan and thought we were lucky to have him, and I think we got really lucky, especially in today's newspaper era, to have someone like Conor.

Dan still writes a MTO Whatever, which is a good read. I always liked Dan and thought we were lucky to have him, and I think we got really lucky, especially in today's newspaper era, to have someone like Conor.

You can find Dan's stuff at his website:

http://mytakeonwhatever.com

He's been inactive for a while. Long summer vacation.

Thanks, was getting his emails but has not posted in a while. With the Deacs success so far this Fall would have thought he would be "crowing" now...especially after last Friday.

Prefer Conor (and Les).

Random observation and wonder if it warrants a question from Conor/Les towards Clawson. But I noticed some of our DTs (Kamara mainly) on passing downs lined up as DE. I know Clawson mentioned that the DLs play multiple positions as the nature of our defense. But is it because Kamara and some of the DTs are becoming better pass rushers or are we using DTs on passing downs so they require more attention in order to leave Boogie 1on1 verus the LT?

Much appreciated, yall. Always good to hear that work is appreciated from the audience you're trying to reach. Truly.

Random observation and wonder if it warrants a question from Conor/Les towards Clawson. But I noticed some of our DTs (Kamara mainly) on passing downs lined up as DE. I know Clawson mentioned that the DLs play multiple positions as the nature of our defense. But is it because Kamara and some of the DTs are becoming better pass rushers or are we using DTs on passing downs so they require more attention in order to leave Boogie 1on1 verus the LT?

I think the answer to this is traceable to wanting to, when it's an obvious passing down, pick and choose OL-DL matchups. Saw a couple of third-and-longs in the UNC game where Boogie was lined up in the middle of a 3-man line, with Bothroyd and maybe Kamara on the outside. UNC was playing a backup center -- not hard to figure out why Cohen and Hemphill would want that matchup.

Putting the DTs on the outside, if you're going to speed rush Boogie up the middle, tells me the DTs are playing more contain in those situations than pass-rushing. Especially with Kamara out there, as he's not much of a pass-rusher. Neither is Bergan; Bothroyd and Tyler Williams, now that he's likely to play against Elon, are the two DTs that I think bring some pass-rushing skill.

Thanks Conor, I didn't pick up on who was in the middle when Bothroyd and Kamara were on the outside. I think Kamara is in the midst of that "leap" Clawson needs players to make, he has shown up more in games that I have noticed.

Much appreciated, yall. Always good to hear that work is appreciated from the audience you're trying to reach. Truly.

I think the answer to this is traceable to wanting to, when it's an obvious passing down, pick and choose OL-DL matchups. Saw a couple of third-and-longs in the UNC game where Boogie was lined up in the middle of a 3-man line, with Bothroyd and maybe Kamara on the outside. UNC was playing a backup center -- not hard to figure out why Cohen and Hemphill would want that matchup.

Putting the DTs on the outside, if you're going to speed rush Boogie up the middle, tells me the DTs are playing more contain in those situations than pass-rushing. Especially with Kamara out there, as he's not much of a pass-rusher. Neither is Bergan; Bothroyd and Tyler Williams, now that he's likely to play against Elon, are the two DTs that I think bring some pass-rushing skill.

I’m feeling really good about our D line. If you look at our latest depth chart, we have no seniors and 8 freshmen and sophomores. This group is improving all the time and the whole group will be back next year.
DL has historically been a weak spot for us. For the next few years, it looks like it will be one of our strengths.

I’m feeling really good about our D line. If you look at our latest depth chart, we have no seniors and 8 freshmen and sophomores. This group is improving all the time and the whole group will be back next year.
DL has historically been a weak spot for us. For the next few years, it looks like it will be one of our strengths.

Unless Boogie keeps doing those Boogie things.

I've been impressed with Kamara, kinda thought he would be passed by the younger guys, but he's been productive.

Also, DeacsOrDie is correct on Boogie. He's 6-5, 275 and runs like a linebacker. He's already got 4.5 sacks so he's on pace for what, 20? Not saying he gets there, I'm not that big of a fan of the pacing stats, but ... if he keeps doing what he's been doing, he'll be picked in at least the first 4 rounds of the draft. Last year he was better against the run than as a pass-rusher -- now he's added some tactician aspects to pass-rushing. He's a complete package.

I've been impressed with Kamara, kinda thought he would be passed by the younger guys, but he's been productive.

Also, DeacsOrDie is correct on Boogie. He's 6-5, 275 and runs like a linebacker. He's already got 4.5 sacks so he's on pace for what, 20? Not saying he gets there, I'm not that big of a fan of the pacing stats, but ... if he keeps doing what he's been doing, he'll be picked in at least the first 4 rounds of the draft. Last year he was better against the run than as a pass-rusher -- now he's added some tactician aspects to pass-rushing. He's a complete package.

Dave Cohen is really good at his job.

So is Conor. A step up from Dan. Not to say Dan was not good- he was.

Back