• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Missed tackles inflated the Aggies numbers some what. Some of our guys tried for the "Kill Shot" instead of rapping up. I'm proud of our resilience. We have lost too many games over the decades, in the situations we were in Friday night. On to Houston!

Great stuff. #1 addresses what the board experts feel was unforgivable.

I mean ... you're not going to replace Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson with better players. Doesn't mean Wake will never be able to run up the middle this season. They've just got to evaluate what needs to change to make that happen. Clawson's "we’ve really gotta look at what we’re doing and how we’re doing it and who we’re doing it with" was the most-important thing he said last night, I thought, in terms of moving forward.

Also, DeacAssured, thank you again for posting.

Good point Conor. Claw will crank things up this week, and we'll take it out on the Owls.

There was a great point about Carney and Newman both being power runners, and the RPO being more effective when the Quarterback and RB have different styles. Maybe the RPO will be more effective with either CBS or Walker beside Newman.

There was a great point about Carney and Newman both being power runners, and the RPO being more effective when the Quarterback and RB have different styles. Maybe the RPO will be more effective with either CBS or Walker beside Newman.

While Newman is a power runner, he definitely can get to the edge. I think the initial point being made was that Newman could not get to the edge whereas Hartman/Wolford could. These points assume that Hartman/Wolford were faster/quicker than Newman.

The run Newman had where he fumbled demonstrated the speed and quickness that hartman and Wolford never really showed (Wolford ran a high 4.6, straight line speed was good). Just because he is bigger doesn’t mean he is not as shifty, if not more than the smaller QBs.

I mean ... you're not going to replace Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson with better players. Doesn't mean Wake will never be able to run up the middle this season. They've just got to evaluate what needs to change to make that happen. Clawson's "we’ve really gotta look at what we’re doing and how we’re doing it and who we’re doing it with" was the most-important thing he said last night, I thought, in terms of moving forward.

Also, DeacAssured, thank you again for posting.

We had a 4th and 1 near mid field where we ran a play action which Newman rolled out with Carney and Newman hit him for the conversion. Thought that was a creative way to pick up a first down when the defense was stacking the box. Unsure why we went away from plays like that.

We had a 4th and 1 near mid field where we ran a play action which Newman rolled out with Carney and Newman hit him for the conversion. Thought that was a creative way to pick up a first down when the defense was stacking the box. Unsure why we went away from plays like that.

A lot easier to run those plays at midfield than inside the 5.

I mean, they've gotta do something different, obviously. Clawson said as much. But it's one game against a talented front-7. Can't overreact and revamp everything just because of a bad quarter and a half of short-yardage situations.

A lot easier to run those plays at midfield than inside the 5.

I mean, they've gotta do something different, obviously. Clawson said as much. But it's one game against a talented front-7. Can't overreact and revamp everything just because of a bad quarter and a half of short-yardage situations.

Well said Connor.

Anyone have an injury report? Wonder if Cade was hurt near the end of he game or just worn out

Anyone have an injury report? Wonder if Cade was hurt near the end of he game or just worn out

Don't think there are any serious ones to report. I'll have a better handle after I finish re-watching the game, but I think Cade didn't have room to run more than anything. We'll find out Tuesday if Tyler Williams or Jaquarii Roberson will be back. Was completely unexpected that, when Kendall wasn't in the slot, Surratt was -- instead of having Isaiah Isaac get a series or two. So, Roberson might be fighting to get reps from Kendall and Sage.

Conor Football News 2019

I think what really needs to be changed is on 3rd/4th and short, we can’t have Carney waiting for the blocks to develop. Just go crash in for 1 yard. I love his patience on 1st and 2nd to let the blocks develop—makes for longer gains. But when the defense is expecting him up the gut, waiting for the blocks to develop will always end up a TFL. Just go crash in there and get that yard

Conor Football News 2019

I think what really needs to be changed is on 3rd/4th and short, we can’t have Carney waiting for the blocks to develop. Just go crash in for 1 yard. I love his patience on 1st and 2nd to let the blocks develop—makes for longer gains. But when the defense is expecting him up the gut, waiting for the blocks to develop will always end up a TFL. Just go crash in there and get that yard

Yep. Wouldn’t hurt to mix up the pace of the run plays.

Don't think there are any serious ones to report. I'll have a better handle after I finish re-watching the game, but I think Cade didn't have room to run more than anything. We'll find out Tuesday if Tyler Williams or Jaquarii Roberson will be back. Was completely unexpected that, when Kendall wasn't in the slot, Surratt was -- instead of having Isaiah Isaac get a series or two. So, Roberson might be fighting to get reps from Kendall and Sage.

Was that when Claude was on the outside? I’d take that as a sign Issac and Morin were way down on the depth chart and Roberson would get those reps.

As I mentioned before on another thread, my main goals for this game were 1) win and 2) no injuries. We did both, so we were successful.

Yes, there were lots of ugly plays and issues to get fixed, but if we can keep winning and minimize injuries, we'll all be happy

Was that when Claude was on the outside? I’d take that as a sign Issac and Morin were way down on the depth chart and Roberson would get those reps.

Indeed, it was Claude and Scotty outside, Sage inside. There were at least 1-2 times with those two outside and Kendall in slot.

I mean, we knew Sage/Scotty/Claude were pretty interchangeable through camp, with Sage getting a little more run. Sage spent all spring and fall going against Bassey in 1-on-1s, that's only going to make you a better WR. I think you're right, that Isaac and Morin don't have trust built up to get in behind Kendall.

But I'll say this: I never saw Sage in the slot in 16 camp practices and 2 scrimmages. Guessing that was only installed after Roberson's injury. Pretty impressive acumen from Sage to fill that spot. And theoretically, Isaac or Morin could've wound up out there if Wake had been up 2-3 scores.

Clawson's "we’ve really gotta look at what we’re doing and how we’re doing it and who we’re doing it with" was the most-important thing he said last night, I thought, in terms of moving forward.

Actually, I think this was the more important quote:

“Either continue to do it and do it better or look at other options there.”

because it indicates a willingness to try something entirely different if they can't tweak it.

I liked the time that Jamie, just came up under center and we quick snapped the ball-- got like 2 or 3 yds. Make more sense than getting the ball 4 or 5 yards behind the line. Thanks for the report Conor

The best news really is we won and had no serious injuries. Clawson's team since he arrived at Wake have usually gotten better as the season went along especially the bowl winning teams. I think Clawson and staff are great at making needed adjustments.

Back