• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Name 10 QBs playing better college football than Jamie Newman right now.

We fully expect to have Cade and Hinton playing, right? And Nasir?

Since Cade was a game-time decision on Friday night I definitely expect him to play. Hinton I'm concerned about - no real update and no obligation to give one. Best case he was held out from an abundance of caution but tweaking your upper leg can obviously linger.

One of UNC's starting cornerbacks, senior Patrick Rene, is out for the year with an ACL tear.

fwiw, Patrice Rene, one of our starting corners, tore his acl against Miami and is done for the year. He was probably our best corner and had good size. Big blow as we lack depth across the board, but particularly on defense. One or more true freshmen are going to pick up a lot of his snaps. Our starting C is also out following his injury in the Miami game, but this loss isn't as big as we have more depth at that position. The backup C is now a true freshman though.

Don't get the Surratt v. Surratt talk. They shouldn't really be competing against each other. WR Surratt is a good player, and UNC will struggle to cover him and the other WFU skill position players, particularly with the loss of Rene. LB Surratt has played about as well as you could hope for from a converted QB, but may lose a bit of playing time this week as we get another LB back from suspension.

Important match-ups
WFU run defense: UNC's most talented position group is RB, and they ran the ball really well against South Carolina, but not as effectively against Miami. Both of those defenses are (probably) average to above average, but how does WFU compare? If WFU can stop the run and force UNC into third and long situations, you might have some success flustering Howell into making some dumb freshman mistakes. I'm a homer UNC fan (duh), but think WFU will struggle to consistently stop the run.

UNC (short) pass D: Miami had tons of success with short routes across the middle. I don't think UNC's LBs have demonstrated they can defend the pass very well, particularly against TEs.

UNC punting: It is very poor. Coverage was crummy against South Carolina, and against Miami all the punts were wounded ducks. Great chance to get good field position and score on a shortened field.

I certainly see more of a shoot-out type game. UNC has done well in the turnover department thus far, but how long can that continue?

One of UNC's starting cornerbacks, senior Patrick Rene, is out for the year with an ACL tear.

Patrice Rene, actually from Canada. Good player. Not sure I can recall too many other fball players from up there. Our starting C is also out, but his backup has played a good number of snaps already and there isn't as big of a drop-off there.

One of the backup DBs who will gain snaps after Rene's injury is true freshman Storm Duck. That is apparently his real name.

Last edited:
Since Cade was a game-time decision on Friday night I definitely expect him to play. Hinton I'm concerned about - no real update and no obligation to give one. Best case he was held out from an abundance of caution but tweaking your upper leg can obviously linger.

It seemed like a hamstring and possibly weather related. I think he could have continued, and we decided to be cautious. I can't imagine Cade and Hinton won't be ready. I would really really really like to have Tyler Williams in there to create some push on Howell from the middle. I think that is going to be the key to creating confusion for Howell - pressure from the middle. He can prep for pressure on the ends. I have noticed we have run way more stunts with Boogie waiting a beat or two on his rush and circling around thru the middle. That works as long as you don't run it often. We really need some push up the middle ...

Ah yes, I see the old "we are Wake's super bowl" talk is alive and well on IC. You'd think they would be due for a letdown game in this spot.

It will be key to have Tigerswood in W-S for shit talking purposes on Friday night. Let's make that happen.

fwiw, Patrice Rene, one of our starting corners, tore his acl against Miami and is done for the year. He was probably our best corner and had good size. Big blow as we lack depth across the board, but particularly on defense. One or more true freshmen are going to pick up a lot of his snaps. Our starting C is also out following his injury in the Miami game, but this loss isn't as big as we have more depth at that position. The backup C is now a true freshman though.

Important match-ups
WFU run defense: UNC's most talented position group is RB, and they ran the ball really well against South Carolina, but not as effectively against Miami. Both of those defenses are (probably) average to above average, but how does WFU compare? If WFU can stop the run and force UNC into third and long situations, you might have some success flustering Howell into making some dumb freshman mistakes. I'm a homer UNC fan (duh), but think WFU will struggle to consistently stop the run.

I certainly see more of a shoot-out type game. UNC has done well in the turnover department thus far, but how long can that continue?

I agree that Wake's ability to defend the run is one of the keys to this game.

UNC receiving 48 votes in the AP Poll (good for 30th) and 42 votes in the Coaches poll (good for 32nd).

Wake only receiving 2 votes in the Coaches poll.

Would think that a win on Friday would get us in the 20-30 vote range.

From the 24/7 Goats board:

"As much as I love Howell, Newsome is every bit as good, if not better........with experience giving Newsome the edge. Contain the multi talented Newsome and the Tar Heels win"

Clawson now tasked with not only finding a Newsome, but one who is multi talented. Tough week for Claws better get on it man.

Not sure if this was already posted, but UNC will be without top CB Patrice Rene and starting C Nick Polino.

Patrice Rene, actually from Canada. Good player. Not sure I can recall too many other fball players from up there. Our starting C is also out, but his backup has played a good number of snaps already and there isn't as big of a drop-off there.

One of the backup DBs who will gain snaps after Rene's injury is true freshman Storm Duck. That is apparently his real name.

Storm Duck...……..interesting name.
What were is parents thinking?

Not sure if this was already posted, but UNC will be without top CB Patrice Rene and starting C Nick Polino.

If the o-line can give Newsome some time, UNC secondary going to have their hands full with the Wake Forest receivers.

Btw, if Cade is healthy and plays (which I'm hoping/assuming), I can't wait for him to make some tarhole his little bitch.

Back