• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

The way our defense has been playing this season, we may have to rename our field the BB&T Corral, due to the amount of shootouts we will be seeing.

(apologies if someone has already made this joke)

When is the last time wake has been overrated in football?
At best, we're picked to finish in the "middle of the pack" of the ACC and when we are picked for that we usually do
mostly we're picked to be bottom feeders and are more "middle of the pack"....that and for the last 10 years or so the Atlantic has been consistently harder than the Coastal (with FSU and/or Clemmons being serious contenders during most of that stretch)
Ehhh. I've been to Clemmons... it ain't that tough. Just boring.

The Charlotte Observer says that the tarholes are the 2nd best football team in the ACC.

The Charlotte Observer says that the tarholes are the 2nd best football team in the ACC.

Yeah ? And they've got two wins over P5 teams, including the ACC team that many were picking to win the Coastal.

Syracuse was the preseason pick to be the second best team in the ACC and they obviously shit the bed last week. Although Syracuse may prove to be the second best team inthe league by the end of the season.

All we have to do is win this one home game in September and everyone in the world will annoint us as the second best team in the ACC. Then, if we win a couple of conference home games and lose by 70 in Death Valley in November, they'll still say we're the second best team in the ACC. I'd say we're in a pretty good spot.

Well then... board material for Wolphpackkers too.

I'm not sure how NC State could stake a claim as the second best team in the ACC with wins over ECU and WCU compared to UNC-CH's wins.

link to article, which seems pretty fair to me (has WFU 3rd): https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article234879902.html

"Virginia, off to a 2-0 start, was the preseason pick on the Coastal Division side and is a logical choice to be the ACC’s second-best team. So far, so good for the Wahoos and they’ll certainly get a chance to make their argument.

But through the first two weeks of the season, the ACC’s second-best team has either been North Carolina (based on resume) or Wake Forest (based on scoring prowess)."

I'm not sure how NC State could stake a claim as the second best team in the ACC with wins over ECU and WCU compared to UNC-CH's wins.
Oh, don't misunderstand me. I wasn't claiming that for State at all... simply pointing out that's a pretty big "dis" to have the Raleigh paper anoint the Holes over the, frankly better, program in Raleigh.

While a handful of UNC fans are cautious about this one most comments I’ve read are from those who believe UNC will romp. I believe they are vastly underrating our offense while also overrating their own defense. Should be a lot of points in this one if the defenses continue down the same path from the first two games.

Personally, I would put UVA above Wake and UNC at this point. But it doesn't matter. We play UNC. The debate between those two will be decided in 3 days.

I'm not so sure about NC State yet. They've got a few more weeks of very winnable games. Obviously UNC-CH's games could have gone either way too, so it's not like they're world beaters either.

Yeah UNC likely has the best two wins in America right now. Just depends on if you’re rating teams off of resume or off of overall performance through two games. Unc is only top five in the ACC in one of the prominent computer rating systems - sagarin (5th). Then the other two SP+ (9th) and Massey composite (7th) have them ranked outside the top 50 overall.

For comparison in those Wake is 6th best in the ACC in Sagarin (38th overall), 8th best in SP+ (50th overall), and 4th best in Massey (35th overall).

Computers like both State and Virginia a decent amount and also believe Miami is a top 30 team despite an 0-2 start (they had a 69 percent post game win expectancy - nice - against UNC and have lost two close games to start the year).

Personally, I would put UVA above Wake and UNC at this point. But it doesn't matter. We play UNC. The debate between those two will be decided in 3 days.

Way too early to disregard UVA and quite frankly, Miami. The Canes still could start putting it together although degree of difficulty is higher now. As the smart writers have said there is a mushy middle in the ACC.

Back