• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Here are my hot takes after watching some UNC film and reviewing their stats:

We're going to run for over 5 yards per carry. South Carolina's top back went for 5.5, Miami's went for 7.6 and the second back went for 6.0! There is a lot of talk from Inside Carolina about how good their defense is. That is not good. Have fun with a fully rested Carney.

Newman is the best quarterback UNC has faced. With a qb like Newman, South Carolina wins that game easily. Short throws will be open for us all day, and Hinton will again be a huge factor in whether we win this game.

On defense, I'm more worried about the run than the pass. I trust our coaching staff to confuse/pressure Howell. I am less confident in our ability to stop UNC's backs.

I like the Deacs at home by 3.

UNC's resume is definitely seems better, but I think time will tell that Miami and especially South Carolina kind of suck, or are middle of the pack contenders at best, it is certainly arguable that Utah State is better than either of those teams and that last year, they definitely were

Yeah I don’t know why UNC fans think their defense is good after watching the Miami game. They’re ranked in the bottom half of the country even after adjusting for schedule. They’re only 9 spots ahead of Wake’s defense and UNC fans won’t shut up about how bad our D is. Neither D has been good through two weeks.

I watched the condensed Utah State game last night (these are awesome), and came away even more impressed with that victory. David Woodward is probably the best defensive player (possibly excluding Clemson) we'll face all year, and they had a ton of track speed on the outside.

My biggest concern is both of our lines. Need to generate a solid run game early and keep UNC from blitzing as much. I'm hoping we incorporate more quick handoffs (or even speed options), and less delayed RPO to help the OL get a push. We haven't run a single jet sweep/pop pass to Hinton (or anyone else), and I think that could be a good weapon this week.

On defense, when we pressured Love, we made him look below average. When we didn't, he looked like a early round NFL draft pick, and picked us apart. It's probably be going to be the same way with Howell. It seemed that we were blitzing far more often towards the end of last season, and I hope that happens again this week.

I watched the condensed Utah State game last night (these are awesome), and came away even more impressed with that victory. David Woodward is probably the best defensive player (possibly excluding Clemson) we'll face all year, and they had a ton of track speed on the outside.

My biggest concern is both of our lines. Need to generate a solid run game early and keep UNC from blitzing as much. I'm hoping we incorporate more quick handoffs (or even speed options), and less delayed RPO to help the OL get a push. We haven't run a single jet sweep/pop pass to Hinton (or anyone else), and I think that could be a good weapon this week.

On defense, when we pressured Love, we made him look below average. When we didn't, he looked like a early round NFL draft pick, and picked us apart. It's probably be going to be the same way with Howell. It seemed that we were blitzing far more often towards the end of last season, and I hope that happens again this week.

We will go as far as our DTs will take us this year.

I’m still sky high on Shamar McCollum long term though. That kid is hella fast on the field. Just needs a little more strength and experience and he’s going to be a monster.

Looks like Hinton is out Friday, but Roberson returns and is #1 on the depth chart at slot.

Tyler Williams still out.

Cade Carney and Justin Herron good to go.

Courtesy of Les

I’m still sky high on Shamar McCollum long term though. That kid is hella fast on the field. Just needs a little more strength and experience and he’s going to be a monster.

He's also really smart and reads plays well. High motor and high football IQ.

I'm all but certain this is coming against UNC, and imagine it may even include a pass option. Surratt fakes run, takes off, Hinton gets the jet sweep and looks to pass!

I agree but think you could expand that statement to the entire DL. We need big things out of Boogie, and his backup and other DE position are young guys with little playing experience. Hopefully Williams can return soon to DT.

I'm all but certain this is coming against UNC, and imagine it may even include a pass option. Surratt fakes run, takes off, Hinton gets the jet sweep and looks to pass!

Guess again.

I agree but think you could expand that statement to the entire DL. We need big things out of Boogie, and his backup and other DE position are young guys with little playing experience. Hopefully Williams can return soon to DT.

Boogie has shown flashes, but teams can double up on him because there’s no pressure coming inside.

hinton and roberson both absent from the depth chart per conor.

Not sure what he’s been doing since the season started but during camp Groulx was working as an outside receiver.

Back