• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

If a football game is televised, then the TV network decides the kickoff time. That has been the case for many, many years. Why does he need to explain this basic concept in his newsletter?

wow...thanks for that insight. case closed.

if nothing else Currie could acknowledge that while the date and time suck, we will do anything for the almighty ESPN dollar? Obviously that too has been the case for many, many years but it will be nice to see it acknowledged.

But to your point, since you already know the answer, please help me understand why ESPN thinks this is the best possible programming for 6:00PM on a Friday night when the populations of 49 out of the 50 great Unites States couldn't give two shits about this game? Enlighten me please...

And if you can't explain why ESPN wanted this at 6:00PM on Friday, perhaps you could STFU?

Last edited:
They had to move the game to Friday because of conference rules. Game had to be at 6 (instead of 7 or 730) because they already had another game scheduled for 915. ESPN didn’t want to give up the UNC fan base eyeballs who want to see Mack. This isn’t hard.

Just saw a post on facebook by a member of the Demon Deacon Sports group asking for tickets to the UNC game for a couple of Tarheel friends of his. Disgusting!

wow...thanks for that insight. case closed.

if nothing else Currie could acknowledge that while the date and time suck, we will do anything for the almighty ESPN dollar? Obviously that too has been the case for many, many years but it will be nice to see it acknowledged.

But to your point, since you already know the answer, please help me understand why ESPN thinks this is the best possible programming for 6:00PM on a Friday night when the populations of 49 out of the 50 great Unites States couldn't give two shits about this game? Enlighten me please...

And if you can't explain why ESPN wanted this at 6:00PM on Friday, perhaps you could STFU?

Because ESPN is a money making enterprise and apparently those that make programming decisions for the network have determined that televising college football games on Friday nights from the end of August into November draws sufficient ratings to justify negotiating television contracts with the conferences (including the ACC which agreed to comply with the request for Friday night games for an increased rights fee) requiring a certain number of games hosted by conference teams to be played on Friday nights. As for the 6 pm start, ESPN is also televising Wazzu at Houston game at 9:15 that night; so, the UNC at WF game starts at 6 pm to accommodate the double-header.

Used to be that ESPN would televise games on Thursday nights. Then, the NFL took over that night. So, ESPN (and other networks like CBS Sports Network) started televising college games on Fridays as there are people that like to watch football on the weekends regardless of who is playing. That's why WF at Rice is being played on Friday this week.

As for why ESPN chose WF v. UNC, is that a serious question in 2019? Literally every college football game between two Power V conference teams is televised. It's not just Notre Dame v. USC that gets on TV these days. If the networks couldn't make money televising UNC v. WF they wouldn't do it. This Friday, ESPN is televising Boise v. Marshall; so, it doesn't appear the viewing public is super-picky about who they watch as long as football is on.

Guessing that among other reasons how a random college football game can garner enough attention to justify ESPN televising it is that with the growth of sports gambling, there are enough people sitting around on a Friday night that want action meaning that degenerate gamblers alone create a large enough audience for ESPN to sell advertising to mesothelioma ambulance chasers to justify the limited production cost and rights fee that it takes to televise college football games.

Not to pile on, but don't see the need for Currie to explain this to the WF fanbase. Everyone knows or should know that TV sets the starting time for almost every WF football and basketball game and that has been the case for a long time.

Last edited:
I don't feel like it is a big deal, but I'm not going... Just watching on TV.

6pm means my kids will get to watch more of it.

And even if I were going and it started at 6pm, I don't think it would change my plans at all. Traffic would suck just as bad for a 7pm start (assuming you are getting there early to tailgate, as you should).

Get home by 5 and throw some brined wings on the grill and smoke them. Should be perfect.

The schedule has been out for awhile. If you haven't made arrangements to take a vacation day or leave work early, it's on you.

Yeah, if you don't bust your ass in the car for three hours on a Friday afternoon for what ought to be a 90 minute drive to a three-hour sporting event you suck as a fan and should watch it home on ACCN like Ph is going to !

And if you have kids you sure as hell ought to have them out of school by lunchtime too !

Start tailgating at noon and call the kids an uber after school.

Because ESPN is a money making enterprise and apparently those that make programming decisions for the network have determined that televising college football games on Friday nights from the end of August into November draws sufficient ratings to justify negotiating television contracts with the conferences (including the ACC which agreed to comply with the request for Friday night games for an increased rights fee) requiring a certain number of games hosted by conference teams to be played on Friday nights. As for the 6 pm start, ESPN is also televising Wazzu at Houston game at 9:15 that night; so, the UNC at WF game starts at 6 pm to accommodate the double-header.

Used to be that ESPN would televise games on Thursday nights. Then, the NFL took over that night. So, ESPN (and other networks like CBS Sports Network) started televising college games on Fridays as there are people that like to watch football on the weekends regardless of who is playing. That's why WF at Rice is being played on Friday this week.

As for why ESPN chose WF v. UNC, is that a serious question in 2019? Literally every college football game between two Power V conference teams is televised. It's not just Notre Dame v. USC that gets on TV these days. If the networks couldn't make money televising UNC v. WF they wouldn't do it. This Friday, ESPN is televising Boise v. Marshall; so, it doesn't appear the viewing public is super-picky about who they watch as long as football is on.

Guessing that among other reasons how a random college football game can garner enough attention to justify ESPN televising it is that with the growth of sports gambling, there are enough people sitting around on a Friday night that want action meaning that degenerate gamblers alone create a large enough audience for ESPN to sell advertising to mesothelioma ambulance chasers to justify the limited production cost and rights fee that it takes to televise college football games.

Not to pile on, but don't see the need for Currie to explain this to the WF fanbase. Everyone knows or should know that TV sets the starting time for almost every WF football and basketball game and that has been the case for a long time.

Fair enough. It would still be nice for the AD to acknowledge that this game is terrible from a fan experience perspective. It's one thing to get noon games on Saturdays in Sept when its 95 degrees out (as the Elon game will be). We expect that. It's another to require your fans to take vacation and sit in rush hour traffic twice in a 15 day period while adversely impacting high school football across the state. If our new AD solicits feedback and questions [which he does] than I don't think its unreasonable to hear him address this.

Just saw a post on facebook by a member of the Demon Deacon Sports group asking for tickets to the UNC game for a couple of Tarheel friends of his. Disgusting!

Banish them!
Boil them in oil!
Off with their heads!

Not that it anyone attends WF basketball games anymore, but with the ACCN craving programming, ACC teams and even LOWF will be playing basketball games on Friday nights soon enough. Big 10, via the Big 10 network, has forced this upon their schools (and it sucks), expect the same from the ACC.

Did you read my post DF? ESPN originally scheduled this for 7:30 on Thursday, but the ACC made them move it because of their rules. Link when this was changed: https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/s...pt-13/83-48ee86f6-b61d-4cfb-be52-1ccce9dbfc2a.

There's simply no way ESPN would prefer having a game at 6 on a Friday as opposed to 7:30 on a Thurs, since the latter is almost always filled with CFB (and would've been next Thurs as well, now there's no football) while there is rarely if ever a game on at 6 PM ET on Friday.

I do semi question why the ACC needs to step in since even though two conference foes are involved, it is a non-conference game in the standings

Last edited:
Yeah, if you don't bust your ass in the car for three hours on a Friday afternoon for what ought to be a 90 minute drive to a three-hour sporting event you suck as a fan and should watch it home on ACCN like Ph is going to !

And if you have kids you sure as hell ought to have them out of school by lunchtime too !

Your kids can miss a little school. Aren't they in some ritzy private school? You can just pay a little more for good grades this semester.

ESPN will get more eyeballs nationally on friday then they would going up against the Packers and Bears (Oh My). Currie already cashed the check.

The Packers and Bears play this week. UNC-Wake would be going up against Bucs-Panthers on NFL Network.

I thought maybe they wouldn't want a Panthers overlap (though Wake-State was up against Panthers-Steelers last year), but I have it on good authority this was ACC driven

Did you read my post DF? ESPN originally scheduled this for 7:30 on Thursday, but the ACC made them move it because of their rules. Link when this was changed: https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/s...pt-13/83-48ee86f6-b61d-4cfb-be52-1ccce9dbfc2a.

There's simply no way ESPN would prefer having a game at 6 on a Friday as opposed to 7:30 on a Thurs, since the latter is almost always filled with CFB (and would've been next Thurs as well, now there's no football) while there is rarely if ever a game on at 6 PM ET on Friday.

I do semi question why the ACC needs to step in since even though two conference foes are involved, it is a non-conference game in the standings

I will assume what you are saying is correct about the rule on time off, but your link doesn't discuss any league rules requiring the change. It does seem hard to believe that a CBSSN Rice/Wake game could force ESPN to shuffle into a less desirable slot for Wake/UNC but maybe that is in fact the case.

Your kids can miss a little school. Aren't they in some ritzy private school? You can just pay a little more for good grades this semester.

The class warfare is real with this one.

If a Deac sells tickets to Tar Heels, well, I just don't know what to say. Fuckin idiots.

The simple reason for a 6 pm start is money, and it’s money from TV which WF needs to compete.
Those fans without good excuses for tardiness will hopefully be in their seats early for this 6 pm game.

IF DRIVING WEST to WF, I 40 to Silas Creek to Reynolda Rd. to Polo Rd actually works best if you just refuse to take the best route: Bus. 40 to 52 North to Akron Dr to Reynolds Blvd.

AND BUS. 40 is NOW OPEN TO MAIN ST. Exit.

Back