• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Buttermaker

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread early to complain about the kickoff time. 6 pm on Friday? Really?? It will be interesting to see what the crowd looks like at kickoff.

Big game.

Great time for kickoff. Take the day off from work to tailgate and still home in time for the nightly news. Much better than the 1am arrival home last Friday.

Was originally scheduled for 7:30 on Thurs (was slated to be on ESPN and everything, notice how there's no Thursday games at all now). As I understand it the fact that the Rice game got moved to Fri forced this game to Fri, since the ACC has a rule that if you're playing a team on a Thurs then the two teams have to be on equal rest. Hence the weird kickoff time, ESPN had to make room for it somewhere

Was originally scheduled for 7:30 on Thurs (was slated to be on ESPN and everything, notice how there's no Thursday games at all now). As I understand it the fact that the Rice game got moved to Fri forced this game to Fri, since the ACC has a rule that if you're playing a team on a Thurs then the two teams have to be on equal rest. Hence the weird kickoff time, ESPN had to make room for it somewhere

True.

Edit: Thought this was the Rice thread my mistake.

That sucks. Stupid CBSSN.

I just assumed it was 6 so they could show a game on the same channel starting at 9. Bad assumption I guess.

Actually it appears there is a game on the same channel at 915 so that could be it

Most of our crowd appear to be well into their retirements, so 6 pm Friday is the same difference as Saturday at 3.

After dealing with i-40 and business 40 coming from the triangle for last weeks game I am worried a lot are going to miss kickoff at 6pm. Plan accordingly

Great time for kickoff. Take the day off from work to tailgate and still home in time for the nightly news. Much better than the 1am arrival home last Friday.

You pretty much have to take a 1/2 day if you want to tailgate and be in for kickoff. 7 or 7:30 would be better. I agree the 8 pm Friday night kick for USU wasn't ideal, as reflected by the largely empty East side 4th Q.

the TV ratings for this game from other than Wake / UNC fans will be essentially 0.0 until around 8:00PM. No one comes home from work on a Friday and says hell yeah, college football time. It's a post work beer or dinner. This is hands down the dumbest kick-off day/time I have ever seen. And yeah from the Triangle if you are not on the road by 2:30PM you will absolutely be late getting in to the game.

John Currie - assuming you read these boards - please address why this game is being played on a Friday at 6:00PM in your next newsletter - and it would be great to get the real reason, i.e., don't use the word "opportunity" or "exposure" in the write-up - would really prefer that Wake acknowledge that this sucks, and explain why we had to do it.

Last edited:
After dealing with i-40 and business 40 coming from the triangle for last weeks game I am worried a lot are going to miss kickoff at 6pm. Plan accordingly

Traffic was a damn mess last Friday. It was miraculous we arrived at 715 after leaving at 5. Generally, the trip is only 90 minutes for us. So yeah, I expect there will be a lot of aluminum showing until around 7pm. Like others have said, take the afternoon off and get there early for tailgating.

I don't feel like it is a big deal, but I'm not going... Just watching on TV.

6pm means my kids will get to watch more of it.

And even if I were going and it started at 6pm, I don't think it would change my plans at all. Traffic would suck just as bad for a 7pm start (assuming you are getting there early to tailgate, as you should).

the TV ratings for this game from other than Wake / UNC fans will be essentially 0.0 until around 8:00PM. No one comes home from work on a Friday and says hell yeah, college football time. It's a post work beer or dinner. This is hands down the dumbest kick-off day/time I have ever seen. And yeah from the Triangle if you are not on the road by 2:30PM you will absolutely be late getting in to the game.

John Currie - assuming you read these boards - please address why this game is being played on a Friday at 6:00PM in your next newsletter - and it would be great to get the real reason, i.e., don't use the word "opportunity" or "exposure" in the write-up - would really prefer that Wake acknowledge that this sucks, and explain why we had to do it.

If a football game is televised, then the TV network decides the kickoff time. That has been the case for many, many years. Why does he need to explain this basic concept in his newsletter?

In +8, but 6pm sucks! Driving up from CLT so I HAD to take a 1/2 day... :) Place should be packed, though. It's UNC! I hope they beat Miami, and are riding high coming into WS. We are gonna wax that ass!

OWG here so we can get that out of the way, but to me, the issue is Friday, not the time. I know TV money drives everything but the more you erode support for your HS fans and players, the less CFB support you eventually have. Take the 1/2 day and enjoy the tailgate before we deliver the ass whipping to the Holes.

Back