• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

It's fine that you don't have a problem with that. Just don't pretend it's not happening.

the distinction I'm making is that there isn't anything formal like "X% of the class or n kids from each county"

that there is an effort to maintain an urban/rural balance is different in my mind

also, I think a lot of it is based on trying to promote racial and income diversity at UNC, not necessarily geographic diversity

but whatever, the Myers Park kids have it tough -- best of luck to them all in life

Myers Park has a much more mixed student body than the schools in the more southern parts of the county.

And educating kids from poorer rural counties at the state's flagship school hasn't stopped migration from those places to NC's cities. Once they get to college, anywhere, they've found their ticket out ot Northamption County.

I've got a friend talking about moving to fucking Hickory to get his kids into UNC-CH. Fucking ridiculous on both sides.

Myers Park has a much more mixed student body than the schools in the more southern parts of the county.

And educating kids from poorer rural counties at the state's flagship school hasn't stopped migration from those places to NC's cities. Once they get to college, anywhere, they've found their ticket out ot Northamption County.

I've got a friend talking about moving to fucking Hickory to get his kids into UNC-CH. Fucking ridiculous on both sides.

If he really wants to make it happen, tell him to move to Lumberton.

Hickory is actually doing pretty well these days. I wouldn't want to live there, but you could do far worse in this State.

the distinction I'm making is that there isn't anything formal like "X% of the class or n kids from each county"

that there is an effort to maintain an urban/rural balance is different in my mind

also, I think a lot of it is based on trying to promote racial and income diversity at UNC, not necessarily geographic diversity

but whatever, the Myers Park kids have it tough -- best of luck to them all in life

You don't need to defend the practice, no one said it was wrong - just that it absolutely is the way it works.

So it’s okay to say that everyone who went to UNC-CH is a moron but when we complain about which morons they choose people get insulted.

Look, when a kid with an average resume from Hoke County gets in ahead of hundreds, if not thousands of kids from more urban areas, you know it’s rigged. There are literally a hundred thousand anecdotes about kids from Wake and Mecklenburg Counties not getting in with test scores way above the averages and great extracurriculars.

People just don’t want to admit when they’re benefiting from social welfare.

Or people don’t want their tax dollars going to a university that kids in their community aren’t getting into.

The key here is, The Safety School, comes from never knowing or meeting An NC Wake grad who applied to UNC and didn't get accepted. I don't care where they were from in NC. Your mission is to locate one. Maybe things have changed.

This is the 403rd post since the end of the game. Let it GO! Stop acting like Saint fans. Remember, we won the damn game.

This is the 403rd post since the end of the game. Let it GO! Stop acting like Saint fans. Remember, we won the damn game.

Nah it’s the Carolina fans acting like Saints fans by bitching about the 1 second as if it would have mattered for shit and as if they didn’t piss away most of the game anyway.

Back