• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

K Walker needs to get the most touches of our RBs...

This year is Walker's coming out party then he goes for over 1000 in each of his last three years and breaks all sorts of records.

Why wait until next year? He already has 219 yards and leads the team. By a large margin. Even if you took out his 96 yarder, he would be behind Newman and lead the RBs in rushing with 21 carries for 123 yards (5.9 ypc). CBS has 36 for 119 (3.3 ypc) and Carney has 25 for 105 (4.2 ypc).

Why wait until next year? He already has 219 yards and leads the team. By a large margin. Even if you took out his 96 yarder, he would be behind Newman and lead the RBs in rushing with 21 carries for 123 yards (5.9 ypc). CBS has 36 for 119 (3.3 ypc) and Carney has 25 for 105 (4.2 ypc).

Walker still needs improvement in those running back tasks that don't involve running with the football. Picking up blitzers is one of those. He needs to recognize the blitzer and effectively block him. Also needs to improve "help blocking" with the linemen.

Sure. And meanwhile he’s still the leading rusher while being #3 in carries.

Walker still needs improvement in those running back tasks that don't involve running with the football. Picking up blitzers is one of those. He needs to recognize the blitzer and effectively block him. Also needs to improve "help blocking" with the linemen.

is it “those areas” or just pass protection?

Might have been in spring ball, but it is clear Walker heard loud and clear. If you go back to watch the replay of game Walker absolutely throws a huge block on incoming LB or DB that opened the hole for Jamie to pound into the endzone and then a great celebration by him after he sees Jamie dog crawling in the endzone.

IF Walker comes out in the next two games operating like a blocking machine, then we will see more of Walker. Otherwise, Clawson & Co. will allow Walker to develop slowly which is how most WF upstarts become great ACC Weekly Honors players. It is completely up to young guns with Walker-like talent as to how soon they take a dominant role at WF.

I'm cool with that. Problem is Cade has missed two games and somebody has to run the ball between the tackles.

Due to Carney durability issues, we'll see more of Newman and CBS up the middle, even in games where it is not working. Hopefully, Carney is running soon and taking good angles on his opponents as he often runs more like a fullback but running more like a traditional RB sure would help durability.

Anybody heard how the RB for next year, Cooley, is doing after his first game 5 td performance? I had a major computer meltdown and had to register anew, name used to be just sportsnut

Last edited:
Per Conor:

'Cooley leads the state in scoring with 120 points (19 TDs, three 2-point conversions)."

Cooley was selected for the Shrine Bowl.

is it “those areas” or just pass protection?

He also needs to improve his acting skills. That is, he needs to be better at pretending he has the ball in the RPO when, in reality, Jamie kept it.

He has caught few, if any passes so far. That may be scheme, as running backs are not targets. It could also be that RBs don't catch well so are not in scheme as potential pass catchers.

Not sure if this makes a difference but today's depth chart has the same order for RBs: Carney, CBS, Walker. If Carney is still dealing with anything, sit him for Elon and let's let Walker work out his issues in pass protection. Not like Elon has a great pass rush, but good opportunity to learn in live action.

I understand the love for Walker, but I noticed on the replay of Newman's second TD run, that CBS threw a wicked block on a DL or LB. Reminded me of same 'tude that Hinton showed 3 years ago during the FSU game. Looks like CBS is taking care of our stud QB

I understand the love for Walker, but I noticed on the replay of Newman's second TD run, that CBS threw a wicked block on a DL or LB. Reminded me of same 'tude that Hinton showed 3 years ago during the FSU game. Looks like CBS is taking care of our stud QB

And that is why CBS is getting the snaps.

Walker throws a big block that basically allows Newman to walk into the end zone on the first TD. Just watched the highlight again.

Walker has been in the program for like 3 months. CBS has been here two years longer than that. Cade a year longer than that with much more time on the field.

Walker will catch up.

Just a reminder how good this staff is. Walker is a flip from Kent State.

The Walker run on the drive to make it 14-0 where he hit the edge and accelerated past a UNC defender to turn the corner (albeit a terrible angle from the UNC guy) showed his vision and step speed. An impressive run.

Most RBs need multiple runs to get into the flow of the game. Walker has not been given that opportunity. He has played a series here and there; but never (that I can recall) an entire quarter. It would be interesting to see what he would do if he is allowed to become established in the flow of play over an extended time.

Good point. Hopefully we will see that on Saturday.

Just a reminder how good this staff is. Walker is a flip from Kent State.

Yep and Jesse Bates was a flip from Ball State, and Greg Dortch was offered by WF, Coastal Carolina, Delaware State, Hampton and JMU. Boogie Basham had one other Power V offer. OTOH, Michael Allen was offered by Bama, USC, FLA, UGA, FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, Nebraska, Tennessee among countless other Power V offers.

That's why football recruiting rankings and even offer lists often aren't indicative of the talent/productivity for football recruits.

Back