• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No mercy.

From my perspective, I don't think the playcalling was that much different in the 1st half and 2nd half. We just hit on a couple of big plays in the passing game, but we were never able to consistently move the ball in the passing attack. Newman was only slightly above 50%.

And I was fine going into the locker room up 21. We got the ball to start the 2nd half.

And yet against Duke, we never let up.

When Clawson was introduced, wasn't it Duke he highlighted as our big rival? Maybe he internally felt the need to hammer the Devils more than the Heels. Though he has to know that beating down Mack Brown would pay dividends on the recruiting trail.

I thought we should have kicked the fg to go up 24. Too aggressive there and too conservative in the 2nd

When Clawson was introduced, wasn't it Duke he highlighted as our big rival? Maybe he internally felt the need to hammer the Devils more than the Heels. Though he has to know that beating down Mack Brown would pay dividends on the recruiting trail.

Up 21-0 on today’s college football is not a huge lead. If he didn’t feel the need to hammer the Heels, he shouldn’t have felt that until 35-0 at least ( shouldn’t feel that anyway).

I thought we should have kicked the fg to go up 24. Too aggressive there and too conservative in the 2nd

I think it all comes down to thinking our running game is better than it really is. We struggle at converting on 3rd/4th and one. And struggle to put together drives when relying heavily on the run.

We went for the kill in the first half on the 4th and 2 from the 6 up 21-0 and failed. After that we called offensive plays like a bunch of pansies. We had the ball with about 1:30 left in the first half with a time out and sat on it too. The entire third quarter was run, run, run punt. I think we could have put 35 or more up had we just continued to play our normal style. We clearly showed that we could move the ball almost at will with that 6 minute 4th qtr drive. But a win is a win. Happy to be 3-0.

Actual playcalling, for those with at least a passing interest in the truth:

3Q 15:00: Run, run, pass to Washington (could/should have been caught, IIRC), punt
3Q 9:17: Pass, run, pass (first down), pass (two passes on first down this series), pass, run, punt
3Q 5:42: Pass (intercepted, third consecutive pass on first down)
4Q 14:51: Run, run, run, punt
4Q 9:21: Run (11 yards, first down), run, pass, pass, punt
4Q 6:09: Run, run (first down), pass (sack), pass (first down), run, run, run (first down), run (first down), run, run, run, field goal

Some people on this board appear to define a conservative play call as "one that didn't work"

Clawson started the decline by not going for the FG and the sure 3 points, and giving UNC a positive outcome by a shitty play call going for the touchdown. They didn't even have to make a great play to stop us. Before that play UNC had almost quit, their sideline was quiet and they had no answers. We had all the momentum. Clawson gave it away. More than UNC making some offensive adjustments in the second half, it was simply momentum, giving them a chance to believe, that changed the game. I blame Clawson 100%. We were the better team all game but gave away the advantage we had built in mentality. It is typical of who we are under Clawson. Except for Duke LY, we've never buried an opponent. And any of you who think we have the players to do it easily are dead wrong. That's the problem. When we somehow get the chance to strangle a game we pause, or simply make the mistakes a team of our true ability does. Our offensive line doesn't blow opponents off the ball. Why do you think we run the funky RPO? It's the only way we can compete with bigger stronger opponents. Lucky for us UNC is far from bigger and stronger right now.

In case anyone is wondering, here are our victories against ACC teams by 19 or more.

2018: Louisville 56-35
Duke 59-7

2017: Syracuse 64-43

2016: Syracuse 28-9

2015: none

2014: none

2013: Maryland 34-10

2012: none

2011: Maryland 31-10

2010: none

2009: none

2008: none

2007: UNC 37-10
NCSU 38-18

2006: FSU 30-0

2005: Duke 44-6

2004: none

2003: Duke 42-13
Clemson 45-17 (lol)

Clawson started the decline by not going for the FG and the sure 3 points, and giving UNC a positive outcome by a shitty play call going for the touchdown. They didn't even have to make a great play to stop us. Before that play UNC had almost quit, their sideline was quiet and they had no answers. We had all the momentum. Clawson gave it away. More than UNC making some offensive adjustments in the second half, it was simply momentum, giving them a chance to believe, that changed the game. I blame Clawson 100%. We were the better team all game but gave away the advantage we had built in mentality. It is typical of who we are under Clawson. Except for Duke LY, we've never buried an opponent. And any of you who think we have the players to do it easily are dead wrong. That's the problem. When we somehow get the chance to strangle a game we pause, or simply make the mistakes a team of our true ability does. Our offensive line doesn't blow opponents off the ball. Why do you think we run the funky RPO? It's the only way we can compete with bigger stronger opponents. Lucky for us UNC is far from bigger and stronger right now.

Just curious, do you blame Clawson 100% for working to stay close and have the chance to beat USU's Heisman hyped QB late? Or for 3 straight Bowl victories? Funky RPO? Do you mean the versatile offense that grows every year in CFB and creeps more into NFL play books? There is very little "bigger stronger" around but I'll take "as big & as strong" and better coached any day.

Back