• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mit Shah/Ben Sutton/Bob McCreary

As an aside, do you think anyone who graduated in the last 10 years, if they had the same resources as those 3 guys, would spend that kind of money on Wake athletics?

Feels like some of y'all should learn to compartmentalize your feelings. Like, I can hope Manning never coaches another basketball game for Wake Forest again in his life and still be proud of the new facilities. I recognize there's an element of zero sum about this, but not everything has to be so damn miserable all the time.

Agreed. I tend to believe the story that his buyout was too large last year (again another Wellman fuck up). But let's not allow that to cloud our appreciation of the significant generosity of the donors who have given substantial resources to help Wake Forest run with the big dogs. I also have significant confidence that Currie will fix basketball. The new facilities will help us recruit a top coach.

I will start to take the criticisms of this board seriously when the dipshits here who piss and moan over everything match 0.01% of the contributions Shah, Sutton, or McCreary made to improve Wake Forest.

Until then...as the great Logan Roy would say... fuck off.

I will start to take the criticisms of this board seriously when the dipshits here who piss and moan over everything match 0.01% of the contributions Shah, Sutton, or McCreary made to improve Wake Forest.

LOL

Yep, only rich peoples' opinion matter in Angus' world.

If only there were 500 other threads where people were bitching about the performance of our basketball program.

BTW, I met Ben Sutton Friday night. Super friendly fella.

I have a feeling that when Wellman was talking to Currie about the possible position of AD, he told him he wants to give Manning at least 1 more year either because he really believes in him, is narcissistic and wants to be right, to save 3+million on buyout or maybe there is some clause about #5 19+ loss seasons allowing contract to break without buyout. Either way, Currie agreed to humor him as he wanted the job. I don't agree with Currie's choice but could see how it maybe played out this way.

With the new facilities, it should be much easier to recruit a coach next year (along with another 3+ million to work with). Currie is likely planning to weather the storm this year (placating Ronnie-boy) and unless Manning performs a stunning turnaround, make the change next year. If he gets a good coach who can turn the program around in a few years, this lost season will be forgotten and he will still have Wellman's support and connections.

Anyone know why McCreary received the game ball? Any reason other than the shit ton of money he has donated to the program and being a former player? I have no issue with that decision, I'm just wondering.

I have a feeling that when Wellman was talking to Currie about the possible position of AD, he told him he wants to give Manning at least 1 more year either because he really believes in him, is narcissistic and wants to be right, to save 3+million on buyout or maybe there is some clause about #5 19+ loss seasons allowing contract to break without buyout. Either way, Currie agreed to humor him as he wanted the job. I don't agree with Currie's choice but could see how it maybe played out this way.

With the new facilities, it should be much easier to recruit a coach next year (along with another 3+ million to work with). Currie is likely planning to weather the storm this year (placating Ronnie-boy) and unless Manning performs a stunning turnaround, make the change next year. If he gets a good coach who can turn the program around in a few years, this lost season will be forgotten and he will still have Wellman's support and connections.

As to the bold, no way in hell.

Anyone know why McCreary received the game ball? Any reason other than the shit ton of money he has donated to the program and being a former player? I have no issue with that decision, I'm just wondering.

It is about the 60th anniversary of when Bob started playing for Wake.

McCreary was pretty hammered late night. He was very proud of getting the ball. We tossed it around for a bit.

Gotta love capitalism because this is what it will do for individuals who a re willing to work hard!

As an aside, do you think anyone who graduated in the last 10 years, if they had the same resources as those 3 guys, would spend that kind of money on Wake athletics?

Absolutely, many of them would. Most people who are not diehards like us probably figure, coaching fortunes will rise and fall, but my name is going to be on that building forever.

this lost season will be forgotten and he will still have Wellman's support and connections.

Is there value in Wellman's support and connections?

Seems like that thinking is why we are where we are.

Absolutely, many of them would. Most people who are not diehards like us probably figure, coaching fortunes will rise and fall, but my name is going to be on that building forever.

Non-diehards give millions of dollars to a sports program?

Non-diehards give millions of dollars to a sports program?

These guys made these donations in the midst of the redacted and Manning disasters. So obviously they have other priorities besides ensuring that the program has the best leader at the helm.

These guys made these donations in the midst of the redacted and Manning disasters. So obviously they have other priorities besides ensuring that the program has the best leader at the helm.

Oh good lord. Maybe it was the most advantageous time for them to give the money. Maybe they wanted Wake to be able to put their best foot forward when coaching searches do happen. Maybe, because they are successful businessmen, they have a perspective greater than a single issue.

What happens to Manning is now on Currie’s watch. These men have made a huge investment in Wake and deserve outpr thanks, not our whining.

Oh good lord. Maybe it was the most advantageous time for them to give the money. Maybe they wanted Wake to be able to put their best foot forward when coaching searches do happen. Maybe, because they are successful businessmen, they have a perspective greater than a single issue.

What happens to Manning is now on Currie’s watch. These men have made a huge investment in Wake and deserve outpr thanks, not our whining.

I was answering the question, do non-diehards give millions of dollars to a program, by indicating that sometimes they do. Some of your reasons also buttress that claim.

Really strange to me that WF "fans" would try to find negatives in alums giving so generously to support their school.

BTW, some hilarious tags on this thread.

Back