• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mit Shah/Ben Sutton/Bob McCreary

Almost all Bob McCreary's donations have been directed toward football facilities. Scoreboard, Deacon, now McCreary Tower, McCreary Indoor Practice Facility.

I'd think these older donors would like to see Wake win at basketball before they die. We've just blown off an entire decade. How many decades do these old dudes have left?

Also, anyone else notice that any time there is a basketball highlight for the school - either on the scoreboard or commercial - that it is from at least 20 years ago?

It's their money. I just think it's wasted if the goal is a winning program in the near term. If that's not the goal of said donors, so be it, but I don't really feel "pride" in a basketball practice facility that few will ever even set foot in.

I'd think these older donors would like to see Wake win at basketball before they die. We've just blown off an entire decade. How many decades do these old dudes have left?

Also, anyone else notice that any time there is a basketball highlight for the school - either on the scoreboard or commercial - that it is from at least 20 years ago?

One would think. The issue is that it is really pretty hard to completely destroy a program with the success of Wake basketball.

A mediocre coach would have been able to win 18 games a year just by riding momentum and being in the best basketball conference in the country.

A really bad coach would still likely win 15 games a year.

It takes an incredible level of incompetence to bring Wake basketball down to 11 wins a year. In the face of that level of incompetence, you have to fix the coaching issue.

It makes no sense to buy and wear a $1,000.00 suit while your appendix is bursting.

Really strange to me that WF "fans" would try to find negatives in alums giving so generously to support their school.

BTW, some hilarious tags on this thread.

I’m grateful for their donations. Facilities are a massive component of program success.

All I’ve said is that you don’t necessarily have to be a “diehard” fan the way that we are on this board to donate to a school. There are lots of motivations for giving.

I’m not doubting their love for Wake Forest and its athletes. I believe they have it in spades. But that doesn’t (necessarily) mean they’re as passionate about getting rid of Danny Manning as I am. Evidently they aren’t. Maybe they have other priorities than I do.

I wouldn’t have donated to what I perceive to be a program in a steep decade-long decline, helmed by an AD who was blatantly dismissive of a small but loyal fan base and who tied up dollars in a ridiculous buyout, dollars that also could have been used for the very facility upgrades I was providing. I wouldn’t have chosen to endorse or reward that mentality. I would have tried to use my dollars to effect change.

That didn’t seem to be their approach. That was just the observation I was making. So be it. To each his own.

The facilities are state of the art. Maybe someone else will donate to a buyout.

I’m grateful for their donations. Facilities are a massive component of program success.

All I’ve said is that you don’t necessarily have to be a “diehard” fan the way that we are on this board to donate to a school. There are lots of motivations for giving.

I’m not doubting their love for Wake Forest and its athletes. I believe they have it in spades. But that doesn’t (necessarily) mean they’re as passionate about getting rid of Danny Manning as I am. Evidently they aren’t. Maybe they have other priorities than I do.

I wouldn’t have donated to what I perceive to be a program in a steep decade-long decline, helmed by an AD who was blatantly dismissive of a small but loyal fan base and who tied up dollars in a ridiculous buyout, dollars that also could have been used for the very facility upgrades I was providing. I wouldn’t have chosen to endorse or reward that mentality. I would have tried to use my dollars to effect change.

That didn’t seem to be their approach. That was just the observation I was making. So be it. To each his own.

The facilities are state of the art. Maybe someone else will donate to a buyout.

I thought Mit’s comments this week were aimed directly at DM and essentially saying the time is now to get very competitive and start winning to a much greater degree.

I thought Mit’s comments this week were aimed directly at DM and essentially saying the time is now to get very competitive and start winning to a much greater degree.

The official opening of the new facilities removes the "inferior facilities" excuse from the list. Danny now has some of the best facilities in all of college basketball. It's his job to use them correctly and get wins.

The time was 8-9 years ago. If Mit still even thinks DM is capable of winning, he's way behind the curve.

The official opening of the new facilities removes the "inferior facilities" excuse from the list. Danny now has some of the best facilities in all of college basketball. It's his job to use them correctly and get wins.

So, that's the excuse we'll get when Danny gets 2-3 more years? He needs time with the new facilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish some of you would spend half as much energy into supporting the teams, as you do going after the donors and former Athletic Director.

I wish some of you would spend half as much energy into supporting the teams, as you do going after the donors and former Athletic Director.

Many of us on here have spent a lot of time, energy and money supporting Wake athletics. Sometimes proper support requires recognizing that things are not going well and change is necessary to correct the situation. Part of the current issues with Wake basketball relate to a reported cumbersome (to be polite) contract the previous AD signed with the head basketball coach. The reported terms of the contract make it more difficult to fire the coach than it would be if his contract was more typical of those given to people in his position at other colleges.

Feels like some of y'all should learn to compartmentalize your feelings. Like, I can hope Manning never coaches another basketball game for Wake Forest again in his life and still be proud of the new facilities. I recognize there's an element of zero sum about this, but not everything has to be so damn miserable all the time.

You build facilities to attract recruits in order to win ball games. If the facilities don't translate to wins, then they are failed investments. Everything Wellman built was in a failing effort.

And I understand that, but harassing the AD and donors (who have all spent quite a bit of money into the university) doesn't really change anything. Clawson is doing a great job right now. Let's enjoy the wins. Danny hasn't done as well. His time to exit will come one way or the other soon enough, unless he shows a considerable turn around this year.

And I understand that, but harassing the AD and donors (who have all spent quite a bit of money into the university) doesn't really change anything. Clawson is doing a great job right now. Let's enjoy the wins. Danny hasn't done as well. His time to exit will come one way or the other soon enough, unless he shows a considerable turn around this year.

Oh, good.

Absolutely, many of them would. Most people who are not diehards like us probably figure, coaching fortunes will rise and fall, but my name is going to be on that building forever.
Dare I bring up the Groves Family? That still irks me.

Let’s try and make this simple. We have absolutely no chance for competitive resources without philanthropy. None.

(1) Wake Forest has by far the tiniest budget of any Power 5 Conference school. Dead last…65 out of 65; (2) We have the smallest alumni base out of all Power 5 Conference schools to go to for fundraising and a rapidly diminishing local corporate sponsorship/ticketing base; (3) We get no state funding for resources like our public school peers and no “revenue windfall” like peer schools that have “big football”; (4) Schools like Vanderbilt and other SEC/BIG 10 schools have received between $15-20M a year from their conference networks for years while Wake and ACC schools have received nothing (and we will still be behind those conferences for quite some time…perhaps in perpetuity); and, (5) The lost decade in our flagship sport has created substantial anger/apathy which has clearly resulted in lost revenue and philanthropy.

That said, without first class facilities…which we could not afford….we most certainly could not keep our best coaches (Clawson) and would have no chance to attract future “best in class” coaches and recruits against the our competition. Crazy that some would rather piss and moan about protest over philanthropy given this fact base…

This is exactly right. By the time the basketball ship is righted (if it ever is again), these buildings will be dated.

Should have hired a coach that showed some promise and these facilities could have meant something.

Well since our Physics Dept has not perfected the Time Machine, STFU, be grateful that our NEW Marquee Sport, FB and the other Sports have phenomenal facilities. I will feel better offering what we now have to the new Hoops coach. Then you guys can find something else to bitch about.

Giving to the Physics Department toward building a time machine makes as much sense as trusting Manning to win with top tier facilities.

Let’s try and make this simple. We have absolutely no chance for competitive resources without philanthropy. None.

(1) Wake Forest has by far the tiniest budget of any Power 5 Conference school. Dead last…65 out of 65; (2) We have the smallest alumni base out of all Power 5 Conference schools to go to for fundraising and a rapidly diminishing local corporate sponsorship/ticketing base; (3) We get no state funding for resources like our public school peers and no “revenue windfall” like peer schools that have “big football”; (4) Schools like Vanderbilt and other SEC/BIG 10 schools have received between $15-20M a year from their conference networks for years while Wake and ACC schools have received nothing (and we will still be behind those conferences for quite some time…perhaps in perpetuity); and, (5) The lost decade in our flagship sport has created substantial anger/apathy which has clearly resulted in lost revenue and philanthropy.

That said, without first class facilities…which we could not afford….we most certainly could not keep our best coaches (Clawson) and would have no chance to attract future “best in class” coaches and recruits against the our competition. Crazy that some would rather piss and moan about protest over philanthropy given this fact base…

Couldn’t have said it better. This a normal person’s thought process.

Back