• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miles Dorn: WFU Has No Football Culture

Those poor guys. So hard to get up for a team that smacked them in the mouth. I must have forgotten about all the tradition and pageantry surrounding UNC football. One of us has won the ACC championship in football.. And one of us has not. So take your BS excuses and and big fat L and head back to UNC

Thanks to B2B for emphasizing that UNC has NEVER won THE championship game of the expanded conference which is a MORE significant accomplishment than the OLD ACC records of championship. (UNC and the rest know this too.). Without a championship game the record winner is never put to the test of having to win an actual pressure packed championship game. The argument about the significance of the two types of records of championship is endless but winning THE actual championship game ends all arguments about that year’s real champion. Although not an exact analog we now have a four team playoff of GAMES to definitively determine the real national champion. UNC IS dying to win their first ACC Championship Game just as WF is dying to win their second.

It may not be going overboard to post this comment on every player locker during the week before every Carolina game for the next 20 years:

Senior safety Myles Dorn revealed that the first two games were easy to get up for, but a road game against Wake Forest took more motivation and energy. "It was easy to get up for the first two games, big crowd, a lot of people, notable teams. I think getting up for the teams that don't have much football culture is the biggest thing."

In Mr. Dorn's lifetime, Wake is 7-2 in bowl games and an ACC championship. UNC is 3-7 in bowl games over the same period.

edit: We're also 7-5 head-to-head with UNC in Dorn's lifetime

Last edited:
In Mr. Dorn's lifetime, Wake is 7-2 in bowl games and an ACC championship. UNC is 3-7 in bowl games over the same period.

edit: We're also 7-5 head-to-head with UNC in Dorn's lifetime

Well done sir.
Can’t argue facts

It would have been more accurate for Mr Dorn to state the lack of Carolina's academic culture (not to mention integrity). But then, when one is a DUMBASS one makes DUMBASS statements.

Thanks for the link. Actually, we beat NCSU 16-13 to close out the ACC schedule. The Carolina victory you mentioned was three weeks earlier and the sixth straight win against them. Also beat Duke that year 28-14. Seven of the eleven games were on the road. OOC foes were Nebraska, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Houston. That team has never received the recognition it deserved but it was a joy to experience.

You're correct, it took us two more conference wins to get the trophy. But it was so great to beat the Holes that day, with Dr. Larry Hopkins scoring with 12 seconds left, it felt like we had won the championship with that game.

Here's Larry today: https://www.wakehealth.edu/Providers/H/Lawrence-David-Hopkins.

By far the Wake game will be the largest road game crowd of Hole fans that UNC will play in front of this year; proximity to Chapel Hill and availability of tickets just doesn't set up well for any other road game on their schedule; same when NCSU comes to W-S every other year. If you can't get up to play with 10,000 of them right behind you having made the trip over from Chapel Hill (o.k., also a lot from Kernersville, Yadkinville, Greensboro, etc.) that's on you. Imagine how pumped our players would be to go on the road just once and have that many black & gold behind us on a visiting sideline; doubt it's happened once in our over 100 years of playing history.
I told my son at halftime: score coming out of the half and go up 28-0, and you'll see the baby blue start filtering out of the west stands, with the players' heart following suit.

Last edited:
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_753dd0df-11d8-5fc6-b759-1babaca5862e.html

If there were any UNC fans in Boone this week, they were laying low. Not one store had one item in Carolina Blue, and not a single store owner considered it. Of all the relationships in North Carolina among colleges and universities, this is one that has never gone anywhere.

I believe Dorn has said UNCCH is App’s Super Bowl because they’re not a football school or some such nonsense.

Last edited:
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_753dd0df-11d8-5fc6-b759-1babaca5862e.html

If there were any UNC fans in Boone this week, they were laying low. Not one store had one item in Carolina Blue, and not a single store owner considered it. Of all the relationships in North Carolina among colleges and universities, this is one that has never gone anywhere.

I believe Dorn has said UNCCH is App’s Super Bowl because they’re not a football school or some such nonsense.

Here’s hoping UNC loses to black and gold 2 weeks in a row.

"It was easy to get up for the first two games, big crowd, a lot of people, notable teams. I think getting up for the teams that don't have much football culture is the biggest thing."

Dorn probably meant that Wake did not have a Swahili studies program or a sufficient number of academic fraud courses to keep football players eligible. After all, what other signs of "football culture" are there at UNC?

Been nice if Hardin had mentioned out game at APP 2 years ago as creating a similar buzz on their campus, but he's 100% on point that Boone is by far THE football school & culture when it comes to the local community. I'd love to see us play them in Charlotte one year down the road.

Been nice if Hardin had mentioned out game at APP 2 years ago as creating a similar buzz on their campus, but he's 100% on point that Boone is by far THE football school & culture when it comes to the local community. I'd love to see us play them in Charlotte one year down the road.

Yeah, App fans are annoying as hell, but it's not really up for debate as to which state school has the best football culture. App football games are crazy.

Wake Forest and Carolina have been playing each other in football for 131 years. We played each other in the first collegiate football game ever played in the state of North Carolina (Wake won, btw), making it the longest college rivalry in NC, and one of the longest in the country. We're conference rivals (though playing a non-conference game) with campuses only 80 miles apart. And Dorn has trouble getting up for the game because we lack football culture? That's not much of excuse, given that playing a team with very little football culture didn't seem to effect our players. Let's face it, Carolina fans would shut down their football program if it would guarantee them just one more national championship in basketball. They're not exactly chock full of football culture themselves.

Things UNC fans and players tell themselves when they haven't won a conference title in 40 years. UNC is the definition of no football culture.

I mean, dude made a stupid comment that exposed a total lack of self awareness.
He's a kid and kids say stupid things.
We've acknowledged the dumbass comment, let's move on. It's kind of a LOWF move to belabor a stupid statement made by a kid after we won.
UNC fans are the worst, App fans are not far behind.
I didn't have a problem with App until they started to get too big for their britches with claims that they are the best football team in state (even when they were 1-AA), but someone will lose the UNC/App game and i'll be happy about that :) because the losers are going to be really upset, be it App or UNC

I mean, dude made a stupid comment that exposed a total lack of self awareness.
He's a kid and kids say stupid things.
We've acknowledged the dumbass comment, let's move on. It's kind of a LOWF move to belabor a stupid statement made by a kid after we won.
UNC fans are the worst, App fans are not far behind.
I didn't have a problem with App until they started to get too big for their britches with claims that they are the best football team in state (even when they were 1-AA), but someone will lose the UNC/App game and i'll be happy about that :) because the losers are going to be really upset, be it App or UNC

It is unfortunate that college football rules don't allow ties.

Back