• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ric Ocasek (The Cars) Dead at 75

redwing42

Reaction score
Winston-Salem Journal article

Another huge part of my childhood gone. The Cars on MTV were one of my favorites growing up, and their first album is right up there with the best debuts in rock. RIP.

The Cars really used MTV to their best advantage. They had some good songs.

RIP

Their first pre MTv album was their best work, IMO.

Dude had one of the most egregious examples of outkicking his coverage in the history of mankind with Paulina Porizkova

For that alone he is a legend

Dang. RIP. Pretty crazy that he only blew up once he hit his 30s. Those first two records are tight.

Of course a legendary producer, as well.

And who can forget this cut from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, with Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool?

She's been married to Kevin Kline for about thirty years.

299_v9_bb.jpg

So he's no longer in Heartbeat City?

Ha!

But seriously, I had every album up to whatever they released in 2011. I loved their first 3 albums, before they went full pop and even those albums were pretty good for 80s pop.

Yeah, Phoebe Cates' and Kevin Kline's daughter is Frankie Cosmos, a pretty well regarded indie pop act these days.

But anyway, she was coming out of the pool to make out with Brad in his dreams while he was cranking it, and the soundtrack was the Cars, and it was hot. Phoebe Cates was hot, that is, not Judge Reinhold cranking it. RIP Ric Ocasek.

A local W-S band (including WFU alum Doug Davis) did a full show of Cars covers last month at Ramkat. It was outstanding.

They repeated the show a few times locally, including outdoors on Liberty Street. Crushed it again...in front of a large crowd.

Check out some of the videos from the 80s like drive and you might think. Also, their clothes. The videos are just goofy.

A local W-S band (including WFU alum Doug Davis) did a full show of Cars covers last month at Ramkat. It was outstanding.

They repeated the show a few times locally, including outdoors on Liberty Street. Crushed it again...in front of a large crowd.

The Vagabond Saints Society. They are a loose collection of rotating musicians that will pick a band to cover for one of more shows.

This news definitely bums me out. Their Greatest Hits album was one of the first CDs I bought and I wore that thing out. Still one of my favorites to throw on especially on a nice summer day with the windows down.

He also produced Weezer's Blue album and a couple of other albums for them.

Back