• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

kenpom initial rating fails to realize and account for the sucktitude of danny manning. he'll adjust accordingly during the season

With Wiseman out right now, this guy may be the best freshman in college basketball:
Mannion_Nico_alt.JPG

Seriously. Nico Mannion Arizona PG. WF will likely miss the Wildcats in the John Wooden tourney this weekend, because playing AZ would probably require WF to win its first two games. Even so, Mannion has been electric to start his freshman year:

15 ppg 5 apg 52% FG 48% 3GF% 81% FT. Mannion has played his best against Arizona's best opponent, Illinois with 23 points and 9 assists when he went head to head with Ayo.

While AZ's schedule has been soft to start the year, the Wildcats have bludgeoned their opponents. Average margin of victory: 32 points per game. AZ's closest game has been 17.

Haven't seen him play yet, but I bet he's scrappy.

Surprised Duke didn't get him, given he played HS ball in Utah.

I now see he's from Italy... Interesting.

Haven't seen him play yet, but I bet he's scrappy.

Surprised Duke didn't get him, given he played HS ball in Utah.

I now see he's from Italy... Interesting.

Mannion's family is from Utah. His dad, Pace Mannion (what a name!) played for Utah, and Nico was born while his dad was playing overseas.

I mean, fuck Carolina and I don't even watch college basketball, but Cole Anthony's numbers look better than Mannion's

Anthony is likely better. No question that Anthony leads on the draft boards. NBA draft room has Anthony going #4 and Mannion going #10.

But I don't think UNC is a legit Natty contender. Got a feeling that Mannion and AZ have it going this year, and that Mannion-hype is about to go full force.

Anthony is likely better. No question that Anthony leads on the draft boards. NBA draft room has Anthony going #4 and Mannion going #10.

But I don't think UNC is a legit Natty contender. Got a feeling that Mannion and AZ have it going this year, and that Mannion-hype is about to go full force.

Did Sean Miller get replaced and I just missed it? (checks roster.....nope) Still waiting on that guy to get to a Final Four, much less threaten to win a national championship.....

Criticism of Miller in the post-season is fair (as it was of UVA last year). Just got a feeling that this AZ team is special and people are going to love watching Mannion. May be totally wrong. BTW, I am not a Miller fan and think he is cheater.

Last edited:
Criticism of Miller in the post-season is fair (as it was of UVA last year). Just got a feeling that this AZ team is special and people are going to love watching Mannion. May be totally wrong. BTW, I am not a Miller fan and think he is cheater.

Agree as to Miller. That said, he's another coach who uses the packline man. As does Mack at Louisville, and I think they have as good a shot as any to win the ACC this year. The 3 things that can kill the packline are great 3 point shooting, stretch 4s (like Dino) and great passing bigs (who can quickly locate the open man out of the double teams in the post). There aren't many legit stretch 4s and great passing bigs at the college level. So if you play it right, you're just vulnerable to the occasional hot 3 point shooting team.

Dayton drilled UGA today by 19 in Maui; love it when Tom Crean gets exposed. Anthony Grant would be an interesting coaching candidate.

Started at VCU. Won 20 games all 3 years; 2 NCAA Tourneys; recruited a lot of the talent that Shaka won with.

Coached 6 years at Bama. Winning record 5 years. Twenty wins 3 times, but just one NCAA appearance and one NIT final. Fired and the program regressed.

Took over Dayton in 2018. #172 in year #1. #62, 20 wins and an NIT bid in year 2. Year 3 starts out 4-0 and is expected to contend for a A-10 title.

Strong recruiter. Ties to the Atlantic region. Donovan assistant for Natty at Florida and in the NBA.

Last edited:
VT is up 4 on Michigan State at the half. Was completely wrong about VT and Mike Young. Realize its early, but they lost essentially everyone from last year's team, and the Hokies look much better than I thought (already won at Clemson, pretty much annihilated every other opponent).

Dayton drilled UGA today by 19 in Maui; love it when Tom Crean gets exposed. Anthony Grant would be an interesting coaching candidate.

Started at VCU. Won 20 games all 3 years; 2 NCAA Tourneys; recruited a lot of the talent that Shaka won with.

Coached 6 years at Bama. Winning record 5 years. Twenty wins 3 times, but just one NCAA appearance and one NIT final. Fired and the program regressed.

Took over Dayton in 2018. #172 in year #1. #62, 20 wins and an NIT bid in year 2. Year 3 starts out 4-0 and is expected to contend for a A-10 title.

Strong recruiter. Ties to the Atlantic region. Donovan assistant for Natty at Florida and in the NBA.

Dayton is his alma mater but, if Wake is interested, some $$$ could probably pry him away.

VT is up 4 on Michigan State at the half. Was completely wrong about VT and Mike Young. Realize its early, but they lost essentially everyone from last year's team, and the Hokies look much better than I thought (already won at Clemson, pretty much annihilated every other opponent).

Agreed.

Another reminder that coaching matters.

And we’re sitting through another throwaway year.

I felt similarly when Miami hired Larranaga. Felt short-sighted... Yet the guy is still there and they’ve had some very good years (including an ACC Championship).

Pisses me of to see Hokies winning while wake is stuck with manning. Fuck me

Mike Young has been at Virginia Tech for six games and just beat the #3 team in the country. Danny Manning has been at Wake for six years and he can’t beat Clemson.

This shit ain’t that hard, Wellman.

Wow, that was incredible. I was with you about being wrong on Young. Thought he was the best they could do under the circumstances. He's doing this with 5 freshmen and only Bede and Horne back from last year (neither were starters or significant contributors). Gonna make for some more great UVA/VT match-ups. He has another 2 4* wings coming in next year. Needs to recruit another big. But they're gonna be dancing again this year at this rate and should be good for the next 3 years.

Wow, that was incredible. I was with you about being wrong on Young. Thought he was the best they could do under the circumstances. He's doing this with 5 freshmen and only Bede and Horne back from last year (neither were starters or significant contributors). Gonna make for some more great UVA/VT match-ups. He has another 2 4* wings coming in next year. Needs to recruit another big. But they're gonna be dancing again this year at this rate and should be good for the next 3 years.

with three players from wake's backyard

Got to see a lot of Wofford over the years when Davidson was still in the Southern Conference, and I have been sold on Mike Young as a basketball coach for a long time. He is one of those guys whose team is always better than the sum of it’s individual parts.

Back