• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

I hadn't seen Wofford under him till their 2 tourneys and caught those games. They were fun to watch and were just outmanned by KY. I would have stopped watching college hoops 9-10 years ago if it weren't for UVA and VT. God, Wellman and Hatch suck.

Wow, that was incredible. I was with you about being wrong on Young. Thought he was the best they could do under the circumstances. He's doing this with 5 freshmen and only Bede and Horne back from last year (neither were starters or significant contributors). Gonna make for some more great UVA/VT match-ups. He has another 2 4* wings coming in next year. Needs to recruit another big. But they're gonna be dancing again this year at this rate and should be good for the next 3 years.

Wilkins is also back from last year. Their big man grad transfer barely plays at all, unlike the one that Manning picked up from Marshall a couple of years ago. I think Tech will struggle with a 4 guard line-up during conference play.

Mike Young has been at Virginia Tech for six games and just beat the #3 team in the country. Danny Manning has been at Wake for six years and he can’t beat Clemson.

This shit ain’t that hard, Wellman.

#noshitcoachingmatters

Like I said Mike Young would have been the perfect fit for Wake. Oh well.

Imagine how good VT will be once Young establishes his culture and brings in his own guys!

Because that takes a long time, right?

Like 6 years or more?

Someone once told me on here that 2-16 in conference in Year 2 was meeting expectations.

RIP

Of all the ridiculous things he said, and there were a lot, this one might top the list.

I remember being surprised that VT gave up on whoever their short term coach was - James Washington or something? - but it was so clearly the right move. Went to Buzz and now this guy and have never looked back, lapping us in the meantime. That is how it is supposed to be done.

I remember being surprised that VT gave up on whoever their short term coach was - James Washington or something? - but it was so clearly the right move. Went to Buzz and now this guy and have never looked back, lapping us in the meantime. That is how it is supposed to be done.

James Johnson. He wasn't prepared to be an ACC level head coach. VT suddenly fired Seth Greenberg in 2012, and rather than making a rush hire with a bad contract, VT promoted Johnson form Greenberg's staff, even though Johnson had never been a HC on any level, until VT AD Whit Babcock could find the right hire. Johnson had a low-paying contract with VT friendly buy-out terms. In retrospect, that strategy worked perfectly with the Buzz and Young hires.

Other ACC programs took care of Johnson as Miami hired him right after VT fired him, and now, Johnson is on Keatts staff at State now. Johnson has the rep as a good recruiter.

James Johnson. He wasn't prepared to be an ACC level head coach. VT suddenly fired Seth Greenberg in 2012, and rather than making a rush hire with a bad contract, VT promoted Johnson form Greenberg's staff, even though Johnson had never been a HC on any level, until VT AD Whit Babcock could find the right hire. Johnson had a low-paying contract with VT friendly buy-out terms. In retrospect, that strategy worked perfectly with the Buzz and Young hires.

Other ACC programs took care of Johnson as Miami hired him right after VT fired him, and now, Johnson is on Keatts staff at State now. Johnson has the rep as a good recruiter.

IIRC, Johnson was responsible for getting Montrezl Harrell to initially commit to VPI.

Wasn't Weaver still the AD when Johnson was hired? I know Babcock was the 1 who hired Buzz. The impression I have from my Tech friends was that Weaver didn't care about much outside of football. Babcock has been serious about upgrading all of their sports and has made some good hires.

Wasn't Weaver still the AD when Johnson was hired? I know Babcock was the 1 who hired Buzz. The impression I have from my Tech friends was that Weaver didn't care about much outside of football. Babcock has been serious about upgrading all of their sports and has made some good hires.

You're correct about Johnson. He had actually agreed to join Brownell at Clemson before Greenberg got fired and Weaver brought him back, maybe trying to keep the recruiting class in place.

2020 NBA lottery pick, Anthony Edwards, scored 37 for UGA in their loss to Michigan State this afternoon in Maui.

I enjoy the positive Mike Young comments. He received little if any positive reviews last spring. Too old, no experience coaching at high level programs etc. A word of caution. The season is just starting.

I enjoy the positive Mike Young comments. He received little if any positive reviews last spring. Too old, no experience coaching at high level programs etc. A word of caution. The season is just starting.

Yep - what a difference a day makes. VaTech getting blitzed by Dayton.

Dayton is legit

Obi Toppin might be a lottery pick and they have some very good pieces around him.

Back