• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Imagine all of the Wal Mart Duke fans that bought tickets to the game last night because they were the cheapest all season (students home for thanksgiving and all), only to see them lose to Stephen F Austin. I can guarantee you there were quite a few Duke fans there last night for their first and only game they will ever see at Cameron, and it was shit all over by purple Lumberjacks.

If this doesn’t give you at least a little chub to think about then you’re not a real Wake fan.

Imagine all of the Wal Mart Duke fans that bought tickets to the game last night because they were the cheapest all season (students home for thanksgiving and all), only to see them lose to Stephen F Austin. I can guarantee you there were quite a few Duke fans there last night for their first and only game they will ever see at Cameron, and it was shit all over by purple Lumberjacks.

If this doesn’t give you at least a little chub to think about then you’re not a real Wake fan.

Oh yeah, somebody on facebook had posted a picture before the game with the caption, "finally getting to see my team play in person."

Here is an example of the absolutely one sided officiating biting Duke in the ass. After SFA gets the ball and passes to the player near the foul line, Duke commits an obvious foul with a few seconds left which most likely would've lost the game, but left Duke with some time (giving the refs an opportunity to call a last second bogus foul on SFA).
Unsurprisingly, the refs let it go and the resulting layup occurred right at the buzzer.

Here is an example of the absolutely one sided officiating biting Duke in the ass. After SFA gets the ball and passes to the player near the foul line, Duke commits an obvious foul with a few seconds left which most likely would've lost the game, but left Duke with some time (giving the refs an opportunity to call a last second bogus foul on SFA).
Unsurprisingly, the refs let it go and the resulting layup occurred right at the buzzer.

No doubt the refs tried to give Duke every chance to win - but they couldn't make a FT. It did look like the SFA guy that saved the ball was out of bounds, though... Boo-hoo.

Definitely a WF in the []/Manning era type of loss. SFA was rated #264 prior to the game; Duke was ranked #1 in the polls and #2 in KP.

Biggest underdog (SFA was getting 26) to win straight up in 14 years. So, given the ranking/power rating disparity, worse than WF losing to HBU or Del. State.

Pat Kelsey and Justin Gray lead Winthrop into Cameron this Friday.

Surprising Duke didn't get a retro foul call. SFA would get 2 FT, but Duke would be down 2 with 4 seconds left. Plenty of time for a court length pass, shot for three, and either a make or 3 free throws. Or a layup and 1.

In all seriousness, it's gonna be weird next year when they bring in 7 new Top 50 players and most of the guys from this year are still around.

Lots of transfers coming.

In all seriousness, it's gonna be weird next year when they bring in 7 new Top 50 players and most of the guys from this year are still around.

Lots of transfers coming.

Duke's program gets such a pass from the national media. They are Kentucky East, but only with more transfers. K is more slimy that Calapari, but still claims to be "Mr. Relationship". Duke recruits almost no one with an expectation to graduate. They use the shoe companies to win recruiting battles. Each year, at least half their incoming freshman bail out of class midway through the Spring semester. Understand that Duke isn't the only school that plays that game, but they are the only school that plays that game while also clinging to the reputation that Duke is a "student-athlete haven", when its the opposite.

BTW, Nate Oats and his Bama squad take on UNC today in the Bahamas.

Oh yeah, somebody on facebook had posted a picture before the game with the caption, "finally getting to see my team play in person."

What's worse is when the Wal-Mart Carolina fans do the same thing from The Joel...

When I saw the highlight this a.m., it reminded me of the end of the Auburn/UVA game where the Auburn guy tugged Jerome a little, and he double dribbled but it wasn't called.
Here, the Duke guy grabbed the SFA guy, which prompted him to double dribble, and it wasn't called.

I’m glad you were able to bring discussion of last night’s Duke loss back to UVA

Just read a great Wall Street Journal article about the guy who scored the game winner. He’s a native of the Bahamas and the school had set up a GoFundMe to help his family recover. They were only at ~$2,500 and had thought about closing it down in the last few days. It’s over $50,000 and still going as of early afternoon today. A lot of Duke haters obviously but also a few Duke fans showing their respect and support. Awesome holiday feel good story.

Just read a great Wall Street Journal article about the guy who scored the game winner. He’s a native of the Bahamas and the school had set up a GoFundMe to help his family recover. They were only at ~$2,500 and had thought about closing it down in the last few days. It’s over $50,000 and still going as of early afternoon today. A lot of Duke haters obviously but also a few Duke fans showing their respect and support. Awesome holiday feel good story.

I feel like this will be a movie one day.

Back