• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Over Under for Wake-UVA total pts tomorrow? 85? Whatever it is on our TOs, I'll take the over and shooting %, the under

ACC will probably get more than 3. State, Tech and UVA all did fine OOC and have good chances if they have a conference winning record. The Cuse would need a bit more because of their worse Nov-Dec, but they may be playing the best of those mid tier teams at the moment. Still the most pitiful ACC and college hoops in memory, and this after what was 1 of the best years in college hoops in recent years last year.

And FWIW, I do take issue with the comment about Guy and Jerome being defensive liabilities from the last page. Guy was a defensive liability his freshman year and came in weighing like 160-70 pounds (and wearing a manbun). But he got stronger and was pretty good on D his last 2 years and was a really good rebounder for his size. Jerome was always tough and probably by far led UVA in deflections the last couple of years. They were both way superior to Stattman and Woldetensae, and while Clark provides good pressure on the ball, his problem is good shooting PGs tend to just shoot over him with ease. This UVA team is not just challenged offensively - it's not nearly as good on D as it has been the last 6-7 years.

I didn't say they were defensive liabilities. I said they were comparatively weaker defensively than previous players like Brogdon, Harris, and Mitchell and got so much playing time, even early on, mainly because of their offensive strengths, hence countering Blackjack's hypothesis. They can be comparatively weaker yet still good overall. Like you say, they improved over time and on this WF squad would probably be amongst the better defenders because Mannequin does't know how to coach D.

Your last statement that Virginia's D is not as good as it has been in the past is objectively false. In fact, it's the most efficient defense of the Bennett era, in no small part (no pun intended) due to Clark's excellent ball pressure. The shooting over him with ease criticism is overblown. Sure it happens, but we don't see the number of shots he prevents in the first place, etc.

KP AdjD efficiency: 84.9 (2020), 89.2 (2019), 85.6 (2018), 88.0 (2017), 91.0 (2016), 85.5 (2015)

Crushing Miami now. 75-45 with 9 minutes to go.
So much for the losing streak. It was great while it lasted.

While they (unc) are still without Anthony, Miami was missing both Lykes and McGusty their top 2 scorers. Also they had only 6 scholarships available for the game against the heels.

Guy and Jerome were two of the weaker defenders of the Bennett era and they got as many minutes as they could handle because of their offense.

"I didn't say they were defensive liabilities."...and..."They can be comparatively weaker yet still good overall."

These quotes from different posts aren't a model of consistency. This used to be called "backpedaling".

"I didn't say they were defensive liabilities."...and..."They can be comparatively weaker yet still good overall."

These quotes from different posts aren't a model of consistency. This used to be called "backpedaling".

It's logically consistent. Bennett has such a high standard on D that being comparatively weaker compared to other Bennett players doesn't necessarily make one objectively a defensive liability.

Watching college bball this year, there's no way 68 teams should be invited to the NCAAT. Hell, not even 32. Go back to the old 24 team draw (might be too many). With 24, 1/2 in each bracket get first round byes.

I didn't say they were defensive liabilities. I said they were comparatively weaker defensively than previous players like Brogdon, Harris, and Mitchell and got so much playing time, even early on, mainly because of their offensive strengths, hence countering Blackjack's hypothesis. They can be comparatively weaker yet still good overall. Like you say, they improved over time and on this WF squad would probably be amongst the better defenders because Mannequin does't know how to coach D.

Your last statement that Virginia's D is not as good as it has been in the past is objectively false. In fact, it's the most efficient defense of the Bennett era, in no small part (no pun intended) due to Clark's excellent ball pressure. The shooting over him with ease criticism is overblown. Sure it happens, but we don't see the number of shots he prevents in the first place, etc.

KP AdjD efficiency: 84.9 (2020), 89.2 (2019), 85.6 (2018), 88.0 (2017), 91.0 (2016), 85.5 (2015)

Yeah, I know UVA is still near the tops in defensive efficiency this year, but I'd still maintain they're not as good as they've been in past years. I believe part of why the numbers are still good is their competition this year hasn't been as good as it has in years past because all of college hoops is way down this year. This year's team has too many defensive liabilities. Huff is slow and soft, Woldetensae has lapses that cause Tony to get pissed and sit him for long periods, Stattman is just plain a liability on both ends of the floor, and opposing PGs who are good shooters have just shot over Clark. I still say Key and Diakite are the only ACC caliber players on both ends of the court thus far this year. And I know it's just a tough year for UVA because they lost 3 guys early to the NBA.

NC State looked like a Danny Manning Wake Forest team in that first half....playing completely out of control most of the time, entirely too much needless dribbling and seemingly with no game plan whatsoever.

Yeah, we ain't beating UNC.

Not even close. Carolina’s two bigs will eat us alive inside, scoring and rebounding. Roy looked like great coach tonite versus KK —superb ball movement —other than Brooks they are not that talented , but they played very smart tonite .
Also , State appears to have chemistry problems — nobody looks like they give a shit . Thought KK was a motivator, but he may have lost these guys.

Not even close. Carolina’s two bigs will eat us alive inside, scoring and rebounding. Roy looked like great coach tonite versus KK —superb ball movement —other than Brooks they are not that talented , but they played very smart tonite .
Also , State appears to have chemistry problems — nobody looks like they give a shit . Thought KK was a motivator, but he may have lost these guys.

Yeah, Keatts has problems. One of which may be that he's not a very good coach or motivator. How does your team not give a shit at home against UNC?

Back