• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Such a typical 2nd half collapse by Clemson last night:

23 points. 23% shooting, 7% from 3 (1-14), 57% from the line. It wasn't like VT defense was impenetrable.

BTW, VT red-shirt freshman Landers Nolley is legit. Not sure where this cat came from, but in a low-scoring grind it out game, he put up 30 (almost half of VT's points), scoring inside and out (4 for 8 from 3). Nolley was recruited by Buzz. VT really has no else who can score; so, ACC teams are going to go all out to stop him, but that kid can play.

Such a typical 2nd half collapse by Clemson last night:

23 points. 23% shooting, 7% from 3 (1-14), 57% from the line. It wasn't like VT defense was impenetrable.

BTW, VT red-shirt freshman Landers Nolley is legit. Not sure where this cat came from, but in a low-scoring grind it out game, he put up 30 (almost half of VT's points), scoring inside and out (4 for 8 from 3). Nolley was recruited by Buzz. VT really has no else who can score; so, ACC teams are going to go all out to stop him, but that kid can play.

Nolly was the recruit that Ayo Dosunmu blocked the Illini from recruiting when he committed, right?

On ESPN this am Jay Bilas has Wake ranked at 59 in his top 67 pre games tonight, ahead of VT, Clemson, Miami and GT. VT won at Clemson 67-60 tonite, L-ville beat Miami 87-74, and GT is in a tight game at State right now. I hope the Deacs will prove him right for at least 1 game. Not saying it is likely. What It actually tells me is that Bilas doesn't think the league is strong this season. Guess we'll find out in about 8 weeks.

It just tells me that Bilas doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Nolly was the recruit that Ayo Dosunmu blocked the Illini from recruiting when he committed, right?
That was Talen Horton-Tucker, who went to Iowa State and is now in the league (he wasn't even ranked in the top 100 from what I remember).

Nolley was recruited by Illinois, though.

My #feeling is the talent in college basketball kinda sucks this year.

Tells me that Bilas had a kid that played for WF.

My annual crusade begins anew: ban D1 teams from playing regular season games against non-D1 schools. They don’t count as real games for the opponents but D1 teams get a win. There are 353 D1 schools go play them.

D1 schools 57-2 through one day against non-D1 schools. Howard and Grand Canyon State lost.

Tells me that Bilas had a kid that played for WF.

That too. He's always been complimentary of [Redacted] and Manning despite overwhelming evidence. He's just a talking head that doesn't want to offend.

Howard lost to a college (I think it's a college) named Washington Adventist. Have lived in the DC area for almost all my life and follow sports reasonably closely. I have never heard of Washington Adventist College/University and naturally didn't know they had a basketball team. So, I guess WF still has not hit rock bottom, but we are getting closer. Glad we haven't scheduled Washington Adventist.

Georgetown is excited about having Omer Yurtseven, formerly of NC State, as an eligible player this year. They expect big things (literally and figuratively) from him this season.

That too. He's always been complimentary of [Redacted] and Manning despite overwhelming evidence. He's just a talking head that doesn't want to offend.

Bilas also went on a rant about how everyone cheats, NCAA can't do anything to Kansas, and that any big programs (like Duke) who may get caught "cheating" shouldn't suffer consequences. Of course, he's been on the pay for players train for years because he knows his alma mater can outbid everyone.

That was Talen Horton-Tucker, who went to Iowa State and is now in the league (he wasn't even ranked in the top 100 from what I remember).

Nolley was recruited by Illinois, though.

Ah that’s right, thanks.

Howard lost to a college (I think it's a college) named Washington Adventist. Have lived in the DC area for almost all my life and follow sports reasonably closely. I have never heard of Washington Adventist College/University and naturally didn't know they had a basketball team. So, I guess WF still has not hit rock bottom, but we are getting closer. Glad we haven't scheduled Washington Adventist.

Sounds like it's time to schedule Howard.

It's too bad Kansas couldn't play like a decent team last night, and now we will hear about how great Duke is for the next month. Given they usually peak in December, I doubt that team will go very far come March.

I agree with this. Hoping it means that we see some new teams pop up near the top of the rankings, but not holding my breath.

At this point I don't see any excellent much less great teams around the nation.

Wiseman (not because of last night) may become an obvious first pick (unless the Suns get #1). He reminds me of a young David Robinson.

Baylor could be really good this year. Oregon and Washington too. Don't feel any affinity for those 3, but at least it would be different than the regular rotation of dominant teams.

That said, a couple of years ago, no one would've believed a UVA/Texas Tech NCAA final.

Also, I think the ESPN hype machine leads the public to think Kentucky and Duke have been better than they have been in recent years. Neither Duke and KY have had a Final 4 appearance since 2015 (5 seasons ago), and KY hasn't won a title since 2012. As mentioned yesterday, Duke hasn't finished first in the ACC regular season in 10 years. Given the coverage and praise each program gets, you would think Duke and Kentucky have had a recent run like Clemson and Bama in football, and that's far from accurate.

Back