• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

But 18 years of cheating to keep players in at least five sports at UNC is OK....GOT IT!!

Senior guard from Northeastern has 81 points on 44 shots through the first two games. Insane output for the high usage even through a couple games. Set the program record for points last night in a win over Harvard breaking a tie between Reggie Lewis and JJ Barea.

Pitt just lost at home to something called Nicholls State at home! That is unbelievable, oh not that they lost, but that we have a State named Nicholls??

Went to the UVA game last night. Cool to see the banner. But they're going to struggle to find scoring this year. Diakite looks to have really stepped up his offensive game, and their frontcourt will be mostly fine with Key, Huff and the freshman McKoy. But their starting backcourt had all of 5 points. They have a 4* 2G in Morsell, but he looked really hesitant in his 1st home game, and they're having to play Stattman significant minutes. They have a good PF transfer and 3 4*s coming in next year, and they only lose Diakite and Key off this team, so I expect them to be better the next 2-3 years. This team will be more like some of Tony's early teams with scores in the 40s. And they're going to get zoned a lot.

Yesterday, UVA shot 37.7% from the field, 16% from 3 and 64% from the line.... and won by 29. JMU, who is decent, averaged .49 points per possession (that's about as low as I have every seen). JMU had 11 points in the 2nd half. UVA's defense is so ridiculously good.

FWIW, Pitt beat FSU, and then lost to Nichols State. After losing to Pitt, FSU beat Florida in Gainesville (Florida was a consensus top 10 team). Also, BC grabbed a decent road win at S. Florida. It appears that HS A-A Derryck Thornton may be finally living up to expectation. He followed up his 22 point outing against WF, with 22, 4 boards and 4 assists against USF. Pitt's loss to Nichols is the ACC's only OOC loss to date.

Yesterday, UVA shot 37.7% from the field, 16% from 3 and 64% from the line.... and won by 29. JMU, who is decent, averaged .49 points per possession (that's about as low as I have every seen). JMU had 11 points in the 2nd half. UVA's defense is so ridiculously good.

FWIW, Pitt beat FSU, and then lost to Nichols State. After losing to Pitt, FSU beat Florida in Gainesville (Florida was a consensus top 10 team). Also, BC grabbed a decent road win at S. Florida. It appears that HS A-A Derryck Thornton may be finally living up to expectation. He followed up his 22 point outing against WF, with 22, 4 boards and 4 assists against USF. Pitt's loss to Nichols is the ACC's only OOC loss to date.

#1 for JMU was good. Wasn't that impressed with the rest of the team. I don't know if I've ever seen so many legit traveling calls in a game. They even got a double dribble. And they jacked a lot of bad 3s. That's why their ppp was so low. This isn't 1 of UVA's better defensive teams. You can just shoot over Clark, and Stattman is a step slow. Add Huff is a bit slow and soft. Last year's team will prove to be much better defensively over the course of an entire season. My favorite UVA defensive team was back when they had Brogdon and Anderson on the wing and Atkins and Mitchell down low. It's fun to watch the packline when you have athletic bigs and decent size on your wings. We played the packline well under Dino when we had JJ and Aminu, but that was a long time ago in a far away galaxy.

We and everyone else should zone UVA to death. Their best 3 point shooters are Key and Huff. And they have no one who can create late in a shotclock, which is why they'll miss Jerome the most of the early departures. The 2 freshmen they have who look like they can eventually be pretty good are McKoy and Morsell, but they looked extremely tentative last night, especially Morsell. If next year's freshmen and the transfer are as good as advertised, I expect them to be much better the next 2-3 years than they'll be this year.

Realize its early (at Cuse and JMU), but UVA has held Cuse and JMU to 68 points TOTAL in two games. UVA is first among 353 teams in adjust defensive efficiency, first in 2 point FG% defense and, 2nd in effective FG% defense. So, if this is not one of UVA's better defensive teams, that is a frightening thought. While Clark is a shrimp at 5-9, he is an elite defender. Have heard Bennett single out Clark for his defensive ability, and as a freshman, Bennett would put Clark on the opposing team's best offensive back court player.

Wake may not score against Virginia. Totally due to lack of paint touches

Realize its early (at Cuse and JMU), but UVA has held Cuse and JMU to 68 points TOTAL in two games. UVA is first among 353 teams in adjust defensive efficiency, first in 2 point FG% defense and, 2nd in effective FG% defense. So, if this is not one of UVA's better defensive teams, that is a frightening thought. While Clark is a shrimp at 5-9, he is an elite defender. Have heard Bennett single out Clark for his defensive ability, and as a freshman, Bennett would put Clark on the opposing team's best offensive back court player.

I'll admit I'm a hater when it comes to Clark, mostly because he's not a good shooter and he's reluctant to shoot. And I think he's a bit overrated as a defender because he's so easy to shoot over, and he can be muscled inside. And last year, when they had a guard or wing going off on them, it wasn't Clark who would switch on the hot hand, it was Hunter - that's what they did against Purdue. I just don't think Clark and Stattman are an ACC caliber backcourt. I expect Morsell to improve once he shakes off the jitters. Same with McKoy, and they both look adequately quick for their positions and have pretty developed bodies for freshmen. I'm just saying they're not like Duke and were not in the same position to replace 3 guys leaving early for the NBA, and I do think they'll struggle in league play. But the advantage they have over us and a few other teams is they'll hold the less talented offensive teams to games in the 40s-50s because they play solid D.

UVA already has a double digit road win at Cuse, and KP projects UVA to go 15-5 in the ACC. That may be a little optimistic, but don't see them "struggling in league play", partially because UVA now just reloads and also partially because the ACC is weak this year.

Winthrop beat #18 St Mary's on the road last night. Keep that in mind when everyone is disrespecting #8 Gonzaga and their conference in a few months.

UVA already has a double digit road win at Cuse, and KP projects UVA to go 15-5 in the ACC. That may be a little optimistic, but don't see them "struggling in league play", partially because UVA now just reloads and also partially because the ACC is weak this year.

Yeah, just looked over their schedule, and the ACC is down this year. Think it'll be more like 13-7. I'm not being anti-UVA here, and I love Bennett. Just saying Morsell needs to grow up quickly because a Clark/Stattman backcourt will be 1 of the weaker ones in the ACC, and they lack a playmaker who can do something with the ball in his hands late in the shot clock. I love the improvement Diakite has shown over the last 2 seasons. If you had told me his sophomore year that he'd be a good NBA prospect, I'd have said you were crazy.

Evansville just beat #1 KY.

KY had won 42 straight OOC games against unranked opponents.

KY was favored by 23.

Charlotte drilled Davidson. WF plays at Charlotte this weekend.

Back