• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

The Big South Player of the Year, Carlick Jones from Radford, is now in the portal as a grad transfer. A Cincy kid who didn't get much attention in HS. He'll be a good get for someone.

Would be a great get for anyone. KP had Jones as the top player in the Big South, averaging 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 5.5 apg. Radford was good each of the last two years beating ND, Texas, Northwestern and Richmond. Jones had 33 point 10 assist game this year.

Would be a great get for anyone. KP had Jones as the top player in the Big South, averaging 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 5.5 apg. Radford was good each of the last two years beating ND, Texas, Northwestern and Richmond. Jones had 33 point 10 assist game this year.

Louisville would be my guess as the leader in the clubhouse. Great coach, close to home, and only one other PG on the roster (although one I really like).

CBS is rerunning several notable NCAA Championship Games. They are opening with what many outside of Philly consider the greatest upset in tourney history. The reason I said people from Philly didn't think it was a huge upset is because it wasn't. The teams had played twice in the regular season. The first game was at The Spectrum. G'town won by two late in the game. In D.C., G'town won by seven, but it was a one possession game with less than a minute to go.

G'town should have been favored by no more than a few points. A bounce here or a call there and Nova could have won all three games.

It was a minor upset, but nothing like the press makes it out to be. The season performances make it clear that these two teams were fairly evenly matched.

It is a real bitch that we’re not likely even in the conversation for a kid like this. Thanks, Coach.

VT got a commitment from Cartier Diarra, a grad transfer from K-State who averaged 13.3 ppg last season. Ironically, his bio says a mentor was Sharone, Wright, Sr. One VT assistant was formerly at KSU before joining Mike Young's staff so the draw to B-burg is clear. Having long time assistants can be good; sometimes new blood opens doors. The announcement coincides with word that Mount Tabor's Isiah Willkins is entering the portal from VT, a move encouraged by Young.

VT got a commitment from Cartier Diarra, a grad transfer from K-State who averaged 13.3 ppg last season. Ironically, his bio says a mentor was Sharone, Wright, Sr. One VT assistant was formerly at KSU before joining Mike Young's staff so the draw to B-burg is clear. Having long time assistants can be good; sometimes new blood opens doors. The announcement coincides with word that Mount Tabor's Isiah Willkins is entering the portal from VT, a move encouraged by Young.

Diarra has also declared for the NBA draft, but is keeping his options open about returning to college. Also, BC transfer Jairus Hamilton committed to MD. Hamilton did not graduate from BC and will have sit out a year, unless the NCAA adopts the one time transfer rule.

Diarra has also declared for the NBA draft, but is keeping his options open about returning to college. Also, BC transfer Jairus Hamilton committed to MD. Hamilton did not graduate from BC and will have sit out a year, unless the NCAA adopts the one time transfer rule.

I would be surprised if the NCAA made this change in the rules under these circumstances.

I would suspect they might look at some different rules to compensate/accommodate the situation for the spring sports that didn't really happen.

Rules etc. will get a more detailed look once there is clarity about whether or not the 2020 football season will happen in its entirety, partially, or not at all.

It sounds as though he is more interested in going through the NBA evaluation process than expecting to turn pro. I suspect a lot of kids will do that given the uncertainty of the next college season and the possibility of no "campus experience" until 2021. The NBA season will likely be impacted but those games will go on at some venue or another unless things get much worse.

The thing is, next year's NBA schedule might not happen on time either. I know they're watching how it goes with the planned restarting of the current Chinese Basketball Association's season with regards to restarting in time for this year's playoffs. I'll be surprised if they do.
I'm not currently seeing a way for them to hold the Combine this year, much less individual team workouts. They're going to have to get super creative about a Draft, if they even can hold one.

The thing is, next year's NBA schedule might not happen on time either. I know they're watching how it goes with the planned restarting of the current Chinese Basketball Association's season with regards to restarting in time for this year's playoffs. I'll be surprised if they do.
I'm not currently seeing a way for them to hold the Combine this year, much less individual team workouts. They're going to have to get super creative about a Draft, if they even can hold one.

Along those lines, Adrian Wojnarski has reported that the NBA draft will likely be delayed until August or September.

Circumstances keep changing, but it also has been reported that the NBA will do whatever it reasonably can to conduct at least some version of the playoffs and crown a champion. Among the possibilities:

- No fans (likely)
- Testing all of the players before the playoffs
- Keeping the playoff team sequestered in one or two cities for the playoffs

Would be strange to have a Bucks/Lakers final at the OKC Thunder practice facility. Guess that would be better than no playoffs, but odd to say the least.

Along those lines, Adrian Wojnarski has reported that the NBA draft will likely be delayed until August or September.

Circumstances keep changing, but it also has been reported that the NBA will do whatever it reasonably can to conduct at least some version of the playoffs and crown a champion. Among the possibilities:

- No fans (likely)
- Testing all of the players before the playoffs
- Keeping the playoff team sequestered in one or two cities for the playoffs

Would be strange to have a Bucks/Lakers final at the OKC Thunder practice facility. Guess that would be better than no playoffs, but odd to say the least.

Scheduling would be a challenge. Opening round -4 games per site? Would it be like the NCAAT first round with tips anywhere from noon until 10 p.m.? Stay tuned.

All they need to do is find colleges/universities willing to host. Gyms, dorms, training facilities. Need to get bigger beds, but I'm sure that's not a big problem.

Host the 1st round at a East Coast college and a West Coast college. 8 teams each. Play two EC games at 6 and 8:30. Play two WC games at 8 and 10:30. Play every other night. Done within two weeks.

Host the rest of the playoffs at a different site. 8 remaining teams. Play two games a night at 7 and 9:30. Play every other night. 2nd round done within two weeks. Conference finals alternate every other night. Done within two weeks. Finals play every other night. Done within two weeks.

The problem is, most colleges and universities are either now, or about to be, closed by state Governors' orders. Those sites are going to be unavailable.

We are talking about July at the earliest.

And that alone would ensure it’s not happening.

Not really. There was talk of starting the season later before COVID-19. Now they're actively talking about moving everything back. The NBA seems dead set on finishing up their season.

Anyway, we have an NBA thread for this discussion.

Wonder if the efforts to bolster the G-League are going to be sidetracked, at least in the short-term, because of issues related to the corona-virus.

While some form of MLB may start at some point, don't see minor league baseball coming back in 2020, and when it returns in 2021, it's going to be greatly contracted because of the need to cut costs based on the financial hit everyone is taking. Maybe everything will be close to normal by the time the G-League starts up again in the late Fall, but if everything is not back to normal, the NBA's concern will be to find a way to play NBA games, as opposed to bolstering the G-League.

Back