• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Everytime I hear Walter McCarty's name, I think of Tommy Heinsohn. I used to watch every Celtics game back when I lived in Boston and cared about the NBA regular season.

Evansville is where McCarty grew up and played high school basketball. IIRC, his high school team was undefeated during the regular season his senior year. They were upset in the first game of the sectionals for the state championship. Sound familiar?

If I'm not mistaken, the HC at Evansville when their plane crashed had been one of Carl Tacy's assistants at Wake for a couple of years.

Bobby Watson was the coach at UE at the time of the plane crash. He was an assistant to Carl Tacy, as was his top assistant Stafford Stevenson. Stevenson was away on a recruiting visit and was the only surviving member of the basketball staff/team. Watson was hired as coach after Arad McCutchan retired. UE won five NCAA championships under McCutchan in the College division. UE immediately made the move up to University division and hired Watson and Stephenson to model the program after Wake Forest. They played two home games prior to the crash and replicated everything Wake was doing under Tacy. Total and complete change. Stevenson remained at UE as an assistant coach. The basketball program had to be rebuilt from scratch. Four years later the team was in the NCAA tournament as the Midwestern Cities conference champion.

Last edited:
Evansville is where McCarty grew up and played high school basketball. IIRC, his high school team was undefeated during the regular season his senior year. They were upset in the first game of the sectionals for the state championship. Sound familiar?

All I know is other schools seem to be doing fine hiring former NBA players to come back and coach where they grew up. Had to be us who screwed it up.

Coppin State beat Loyola-Chicago (the 2017 Final Four participant) last night. Before last night's win, Coppin State had lost 73 (!!!) straight OOC games against D1 opponents (their last OOC win was 6 years ago). Coppin State is coached by former MD guard Juan Dixon.

Coppin State beat Loyola-Chicago (the 2017 Final Four participant) last night. Before last night's win, Coppin State had lost 73 (!!!) straight OOC games against D1 opponents (their last OOC win was 6 years ago). Coppin State is coached by former MD guard Juan Dixon.

Juan Dixon is my favorite non-Wake ACC player ever. Had a tough upbringing and has OCD. Was tough and clutch. Also called Gary Williams GDub and told Williams to STFU in the waning moments of the Kansas semi-final.

Ohio State absolutely routed #10 Villanova 76-51 last night. It makes me sad thinking how easily we could have had Holtmann back in the day. Dude is a mastermind, specifically defensively. In all 3 OSU games this year, the opponent has had more turnovers than assists and shot <35%. And Gene Smith pretty much fired Thad Matta to get him. Meanwhile, we keep Manning.

Ohio State absolutely routed #10 Villanova 76-51 last night. It makes me sad thinking how easily we could have had Holtmann back in the day. Dude is a mastermind, specifically defensively. In all 3 OSU games this year, the opponent has had more turnovers than assists and shot <35%. And Gene Smith pretty much fired Thad Matta to get him. Meanwhile, we keep Manning.

Was about to post the same thing. Holtman is building a power at tOSU. They have the two best wins early in the season (Cincy and Nova). Holtman had spent 8 years coaching in NC (Gardner Webb) and would've been a great fit for WF.

Anthony Grundy killed. I can't find any details yet.

Back