• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Richard Washington joined Sam Japhet-Mathias at San Jose State. SJS is not a good team but Richard Washington may be one of their better players. Donovan Mitchell at UC Santa Clara, coached by Herb Sendek, is easily one of their better players. Manning's inability to keep some of these guys around until they are better as Juniors and Seniors is playing an outsized part in killing the program. Also notable: Keyshawn Woods and Ben Mauk have been granted infinite eligibility and will be rejoing a college program soon.

Favorites were 28-0 straight up last night in college hoops...

Favorites were 28-0 straight up last night in college hoops...

Yeah, but Kentucky had a little trouble with Utah Valley.
It was a 5 point game with a minute to go
I think Utah Valley is the equivalent of Houston Baptist

William and Mary also led Oklahoma with under 3 minutes to go.

You would think a competent ACC team could handle Gardner Webb on their home floor.

FWIW, Gardner-Webb also won at GT last year. They were actually pretty good. Understand your point.

Was looking at the games tonight, and UMBC coached by Ryan Odom plays LSU. UMBC has gotten off to a 4-0 start against a weak schedule. Then, I noticed that UMBC's leading scorer is JUCO transfer Darnell Rogers at 16 ppg (he is also averaging 5 APG and 4 RPG), which is not a big deal until I saw his height: 5-2 as in 5 foot two inches tall. Shorter than Muggsy. Not sure, but Rogers may be the shortest player in D-1 college basketball ever.

Here is his profile: https://www.umbcretrievers.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/bios/rogers_darnell_bd01

Interesting that Darnell Rogers and Muggsy both hailed from Baltimore.

Was looking at the games tonight, and UMBC coached by Ryan Odom plays LSU. UMBC has gotten off to a 4-0 start against a weak schedule. Then, I noticed that UMBC's leading scorer is JUCO transfer Darnell Rogers at 16 ppg (he is also averaging 5 APG and 4 RPG), which is not a big deal until I saw his height: 5-2 as in 5 foot two inches tall. Shorter than Muggsy. Not sure, but Rogers may be the shortest player in D-1 college basketball ever.

Here is his profile: https://www.umbcretrievers.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/bios/rogers_darnell_bd01

I remember his father playing for GW. He wasn’t much talller.

Ryan Odom has done a great job. We were wondering whether he could maintain the program last year after losing a few players off the team that knocked off UVA. The result - a near identical season to the previous season. He will get snatched up by a bigger program soon, and certainly if he wins his conference this year.

Wake will have some choices this year between McMahon, Odom, Rhoades, and Wes Miller. I'm thinking Thad Matta has just been out of the scene too long at this point.

Last edited:
I'd take Thad Matta in a heartbeat. It will only be less than 3 years out of coaching and he's only 52 years old. He's younger than Manning.

Health problems for Matta, and he's publicly stated how much he ended up hating recruiting at the end of his OSU tenure. Don't think he's really a viable option. Would love to get him if he's changed his tune, though.

I'm a Matta skeptic. If he had the fire to coach, he would be coaching by now; this is now his 3rd season away from the game. The longer he stays out the harder it will be for him to get reacquainted. If we get the Thad Matta who coached from 2002 to 2013, he would obviously be a home run, but the tOSU program had regressed by the time he stepped aside. Concerned he would be taking the job for another guaranteed payday, rather than burning desire to rebuild WF basketball.

Think a younger energetic coach would be a better fit, but with that said, if Thad Matta was the WF head coach in April 2020, WF would be in a better spot than it is right now.

Back