• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

I’m less concerned than I used to be about time away from the game re:Matta.

Not exactly the same thing, but I was sure Gruden would suck with the Raiders and he’s done pretty well.

At some level, coaches can coach.

But yeah, he’s not my first pick.

Shaka Shaka Shaka

Got to be Currie's prime target given their relationship.

Get'er done! :thumbsup:

Matta has a really high floor as a coach. And that floor is significantly higher than Manning's ceiling.

If Wake hired Matta, the worst case scenario at the end of 5 years, would be that Wake would have made 2 tourneys (probably 3). That is so far away from our spot the last decade, that I would take that floor in a heartbeat.

Big South moving away from home court advantage for one team for its conference tournament. Will play at The Bo 2021-2023 !!!

After losing at home to Radford by 9 (NW lost to Merrimack to start the season), Chris Collins has quickly moved from a "hot up and coming" coach at the end of the 2018 season to "on the hot seat" this season. Current projections have NW finishing this season at 10-19 (5-15).

Also, Cornell plays Cuse tonight. Cornell's leading scorer is Jimmy Boeheim who play against his brother and his dad.

UVA had a really tough time with Vermont last night. Vermont's leading scorer, Lamb, absolutely went off for 30, and it was a fun game to watch. FWIW, UVA has a 2G from Italy named Woldetensae who is an improvement on both ends of the court over Stattman. Woldetensae didn't play in the 1st game but has looked decent the last 2 games. Still think this is going to be a bit of a transitional year for UVA, but when a transition year still keeps you in the top 4-5 in the ACC and in the tourney, that ain't too bad.

Casey Morsell, who is expected to play a significant role in replacing Kyle Guy on the wing, is currently 1 for 17 from 3 (and 2 for 10 from 2; and 0 for 2 from the line). Yikes.

Casey Morsell, who is expected to play a significant role in replacing Kyle Guy on the wing, is currently 1 for 17 from 3 (and 2 for 10 from 2; and 0 for 2 from the line). Yikes.

He looks tentative and unsure of himself on the offensive end. Already has a good frame, is athletic and a good defender. Tony said in the post game presser that he told Morsell to just be himself and go defend like a maniac, and the offense will come. I think the offense will improve. He just has that deer in headlights look that some freshmen have.

I'm not a Clark fan, but his shooting has definitely improved. Hit some clutch 3s in the 2nd half. That said, I would still consider zoning UVA. JMU did, but Columbia and Vermont didn't at all.

Morsell seems to have zero confidence on the offensive end. Seems like he would do well to attack the basket and
try to get some layups.

Lamb reminded me of Carson Edwards last yr in the tourney. guy was volcano hot in the 2nd half.

James Wiseman banned for 12 games until mid-January.

NCAA wants the projected #1 pick to be playing in the NCAA Tourney.

^ in all seriousness how many schools in NC are above us in KenPom? Defs Dook, UNC, State, CLT, App - who else? UNCW? Davidson? High Point? Guilford? Are we top-10 in our own state?

^ in all seriousness how many schools in NC are above us in KenPom? Defs Dook, UNC, State, CLT, App - who else? UNCW? Davidson? High Point? Guilford? Are we top-10 in our own state?

WF is steadily descending in the KP ratings. Began the season at #79, and have now dropped to #94. NC schools ranked ahead of WF currently:

#3 Duke
#8 UNC
#45 NC State
#64 Davidson

WF is currently one spot ahead of UNCG (#95).

Among the colleges with a fraction of WF's budget and with a coach making a small percentage of DM's salary, but that are ranked higher than WF right now:

Duquesne
Liberty
Western Kentucky
Furman
ETSU
Belmont
Vermont
Davidson

always fun to watch WF's defense drop like a stone in the KP rankings, as the data rolls in and we still don't have a coach that can coach defense

(we don't have a coach that can coach offense, either; sometimes an elite player can offset this deficiency)

always fun to watch WF's defense drop like a stone in the KP rankings, as the data rolls in and we still don't have a coach that can coach defense

(we don't have a coach that can coach offense, either; sometimes an elite player can offset this deficiency)

Every year KP overrates us to start, and every year we start working our way down the ratings.

Its evidence that even if you take into account how bad we’ve been, the metrics suggest we should be much better than we actually are.

Back