• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Pilchard

Reaction score
Naturally, UVA wanted to re-negotiate Tony Bennett's contract offering a hefty raise. Bennett declined asking that the money be allocated to his staff and facility improvements. Bennett then donated $500K for a career development center for UVA basketball players. Bennett did agree to extend his contract with the same financial terms.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/tony-bennett-declined-raise-then-he-and-his-wife-pledged-500k-career-program

Also, D1 teams start practicing on September 24. The regular season starts on November 5. The NC Game is set for April 6, 2020.

Here are the rule changes for 2019-20:

- The three-point line will be moved from its prior distance of 20 feet 9 inches (6.32 m) from the center of the basket to the FIBA standard of 6.75 metres (22.1 ft). Neither the May nor June public announcements specified where the line would lie once the arc approached the sidelines and continued into the corners. If the FIBA distance of 0.9 metres (2 ft 11 in) from the sidelines is used, translating that distance from the basket to the slightly wider NCAA court would result in the line being 1.02 metres (3 ft 4 in) from the sidelines. This change will take immediate effect in Division I, but will be delayed to 2020–21 for Divisions II and III.
- On offensive rebounds in the frontcourt, the shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds instead of the full 30.
- Any derogatory on-court comments regarding a player's race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability will result in a flagrant-2 technical foul and automatic ejection.
- Two new rules will apply during the last 2 minutes of regulation and the last 2 minutes of any overtime period:
a) Coaches will be allowed to call live-ball timeouts. Currently, coaches are prohibited from calling live-ball timeouts at any time.
b) The list of calls that can be reviewed via instant replay will expand to include basket interference and goaltending.

The number of D1 teams will stay at 353 as: a) Merrimack moves up to D1 (Northeast Conference) and b) Savannah State moves down to D2.

Naturally, UVA wanted to re-negotiate Tony Bennett's contract offering a hefty raise. Bennett declined asking that the money be allocated to his staff and facility improvements. Bennett then donated $500K for a career development center for UVA basketball players. Bennett did agree to extend his contract with the same financial terms.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/tony-bennett-declined-raise-then-he-and-his-wife-pledged-500k-career-program

Also, D1 teams start practicing on September 24. The regular season starts on November 5. The NC Game is set for April 6, 2020.

Here are the rule changes for 2019-20:

- The three-point line will be moved from its prior distance of 20 feet 9 inches (6.32 m) from the center of the basket to the FIBA standard of 6.75 metres (22.1 ft). Neither the May nor June public announcements specified where the line would lie once the arc approached the sidelines and continued into the corners. If the FIBA distance of 0.9 metres (2 ft 11 in) from the sidelines is used, translating that distance from the basket to the slightly wider NCAA court would result in the line being 1.02 metres (3 ft 4 in) from the sidelines. This change will take immediate effect in Division I, but will be delayed to 2020–21 for Divisions II and III.
- On offensive rebounds in the frontcourt, the shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds instead of the full 30.
- Any derogatory on-court comments regarding a player's race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability will result in a flagrant-2 technical foul and automatic ejection.
- Two new rules will apply during the last 2 minutes of regulation and the last 2 minutes of any overtime period:
a) Coaches will be allowed to call live-ball timeouts. Currently, coaches are prohibited from calling live-ball timeouts at any time.
b) The list of calls that can be reviewed via instant replay will expand to include basket interference and goaltending.

The number of D1 teams will stay at 353 as: a) Merrimack moves up to D1 (Northeast Conference) and b) Savannah State moves down to D2.

Ew, more opportunities to review plays? I don't like it.

Any derogatory on-court comments regarding a player's race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability will result in a flagrant-2 technical foul and automatic ejection.

How in the hell do they plan on enforcing this? Has it really been a problem? Maybe I'm naive.

How in the hell do they plan on enforcing this? Has it really been a problem? Maybe I'm naive.

I believe there have been a few blatant episodes in the lady several years. There hasn't been much of a mechanism for penalizing the behavior until this new rule.

I guess trash talk will things like this:

"Your shot is ineffective. Maybe you should practice more."

"A talented person in a shell chair could play better defense than you and has more mobility."

Players talk trash constantly during games. Before reffs called techs on physical contact (pushing/chest-bumping), but essentially ignored trash talk. Apparently, not any more.

Realize, this was in the dark ages, but Derek Whittenburg was a guard on NC State's NC team in early 1980s. If you had seats close to the court when State came to town, easy to hear Whittenburg verbally trashing his opponent in every area imaginable (race and sexual orientation were most common). WF had a guard named Chuck Kepley back in the day, and during one game, thought Whittenburg's intimidation tactics might cause Kepley to take a dump in his shorts.

You don’t think refs can hear some of the trash talk that happens between players?

I think it is like me trying to parent my 3 kids... A lot of times, I know something happened, but I couldn't tell you exactly who said what and I certainly didn't hear everything that was said.

My point was more that enforcing this is kind of a mess... Clearly, I don't want players making racist comments though.

Maybe I'm just jaded by the revolving door of players leaving early, or because Wake sucks and I'm just tired of it all, I don't know, but I'm really struggling to get excited about this college hoops season. Probably couldn't name more than a handful of other ACC players right now. Yikes.

Some "secret scrimmage" results per Jeff Goodman:

Gonzaga 103 Michigan State 87 (MSU's Josh Langford did not play)
Maryland 84 Pitt 75 (Trey McGowens had 29)
Ohio State 80 L'ville 69
Marquette 72 Indiana 69 (IU's projected starting guards DeVonte Green and Rob Phinisee did not play)

Some "secret scrimmage" results per Jeff Goodman:

Gonzaga 103 Michigan State 87 (MSU's Josh Langford did not play)
Maryland 84 Pitt 75 (Trey McGowens had 29)
Ohio State 80 L'ville 69
Marquette 72 Indiana 69 (IU's projected starting guards DeVonte Green and Rob Phinisee did not play)

Saw Rhode Island beat up on BC... And was missing a player.

The game has become so soft. Snowflakes. We punish people over words now, NCAA supersedes 1st Amendment.

The NCAA is not the government so the 1st Amendment doesn't apply.

Conceptually, that society is becoming too soft and sensitive, I agree 100%. Let's just be intellectually honest.

Blake Harris leaving the NCSU program.

Was first at Mizzou, then able to play at NCSU without sitting out... A junior this year, but Pack Pride says he only has 1 year of eligibility if he transfers to another D1 school.

Back