• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

I guess in comparison to our situation, the past praise here for Keatts is understandable, but State has too many inexplicably bad performances; Georgia Tech and Josh Pastner have swept the Pack this year; then, the Pack follows the 2nd loss to GT with a no-show at home to a historically weak UNC team. In a down year in the ACC, with their experienced roster, State should be having a breakout year. Instead, they are sliding off the bubble again.

I agree State is underachieving. But to me, Louisville is underachieving as much as State is. Given how down the ACC is, I thought they'd be running away with it and blowing most games out. And many of their wins have been too close. They let bad ND, GT and Pitt teams hang around too long and almost blew the Duke game late.

I'm getting a feeling that if Gonzaga is ever going to win a natty, this is their year.

I agree State is underachieving. But to me, Louisville is underachieving as much as State is. Given how down the ACC is, I thought they'd be running away with it and blowing most games out. And many of their wins have been too close. They let bad ND, GT and Pitt teams hang around too long and almost blew the Duke game late.

I'm getting a feeling that if Gonzaga is ever going to win a natty, this is their year.

I guess. But the Cards are still 17-3 and 8-1 in the ACC. That’s not bad.

I just don’t think they are good enough to consistently blow teams out.

Agree on the Zags (among other contenders, of course).

UVA over #5 F$U 61-56.
#coachingmatters

UVA was 8-30 from 3 against us and nearly were upset.

UVA v FSU 5-12 from 3 and pulls the upset.

I just wonder if Bennett said, 'look guys, we stink at 3's, stop jacking them up'.

Even Wolendtense (sp?) was only 2-4 from 3 after going 7-14 against us.

I just wonder if Bennett said, 'look guys, we stink at 3's, stop jacking them up'.

They're 8-0 when scoring over 60. I bet Tony just wishes he could figure out how to get that many from his team more consistently.

We should get a game with Wyoming. Did anyone catch any of that Utah St-Wyoming game tonight? It was on ESPNU right after the Auburn-Ole Miss game and I happened to see the first few minutes of it. Wyoming was so bad that I caught myself continuing to watch in disbelief. The Cowboys' offense made Danny Manning's look like a masterpiece by comparison. It was mainly a 3-man weave about 25 feet from the basket that continued until they took a bad shot, threw a bad pass or the shot clock ran out. Wyoming didn't get above the 10-point mark until there was 6:16 to go in the half, and they were still stuck in the 20s deep into the 2nd half. And it was a home game though, honestly, it didn't look like there were more than 300 people there.

I saw that the Cowboys are now 5-17 and 0-10 in the crappy Mountain West Conference. After watching them play I wondered who in hell were the 5 teams that they could have possibly beaten. I looked it up and the answer was Idaho State, La-Lafayette, Denver, Detroit Mercy and some school named Nebraska-Wesleyan.

We should get a game with Wyoming. Did anyone catch any of that Utah St-Wyoming game tonight? It was on ESPNU right after the Auburn-Ole Miss game and I happened to see the first few minutes of it. Wyoming was so bad that I caught myself continuing to watch in disbelief. The Cowboys' offense made Danny Manning's look like a masterpiece by comparison. It was mainly a 3-man weave about 25 feet from the basket that continued until they took a bad shot, threw a bad pass or the shot clock ran out. Wyoming didn't get above the 10-point mark until there was 6:16 to go in the half, and they were still stuck in the 20s deep into the 2nd half. And it was a home game though, honestly, it didn't look like there were more than 300 people there.

I saw that the Cowboys are now 5-17 and 0-10 in the crappy Mountain West Conference. After watching them play I wondered who in hell were the 5 teams that they could have possibly beaten. I looked it up and the answer was Idaho State, La-Lafayette, Denver, Detroit Mercy and some school named Nebraska-Wesleyan.
Do you really want us to have another historically horrible loss to add to all the others this past ten years?

I think it says more about FSU being a solid as usual defensive team, and they mostly did a good job closing out on 3 point shooters. The thing that FSU seemed to invite was letting Clark drive in the paint, and while he had a few blocked, he was able to finish and pick up fouls much better than he usually does. I know I give him a hard time, but he did a good job last night. And that was the best played game against a good opponent I've seen out of UVA this year. Also good contributions from Diakite, Key and Woldetensae.

I think it says more about FSU being a solid as usual defensive team, and they mostly did a good job closing out on 3 point shooters. The thing that FSU seemed to invite was letting Clark drive in the paint, and while he had a few blocked, he was able to finish and pick up fouls much better than he usually does. I know I give him a hard time, but he did a good job last night. And that was the best played game against a good opponent I've seen out of UVA this year. Also good contributions from Diakite, Key and Woldetensae.

So, the VT game was more about unforced errors by the Hokies? I don't disagree with that take. A classic snowball game where VT started poorly and things went downhill from there. The rematch in B-burg should be a lot closer.

I'd agree which is why Woldentensae didn't get to put 15 3's, but when the rest of their team was 1-16, I'd let them fire away until they proved they could hit some. It's both sides of the DM coaching spectrum, on defense we essentially didn't guard the 3 even when it was clear the one kid was on for the entire game. On offense Bennett clearly had to get the rest of them to stop jacking up 3's and just concentrate on getting some hoops.

So, the VT game was more about unforced errors by the Hokies? I don't disagree with that take. A classic snowball game where VT started poorly and things went downhill from there. The rematch in B-burg should be a lot closer.

VT has fallen back to reality. Last night, after losing to BC, VT lost to a bad Miami team without their best player, Chris Lykes. At one point, it was 41-19 Miami. VT has lost 3 out of 4, and the one win was a miracle comeback against a UNC team that didn't know how to close out a game. Mike Young has proven that he knows what he is doing, but VT is a young team with no bench that appears to have hit the wall.

Yes, VT was more about their own unforced errors. As critical as I've been about Clark and that he should just be a 15-20 mpg guy, he absolutely abused Bede in that game. Bede was unable to dribble the ball up the court and get Tech into their offensive sets.

83, UVA is okay from 3. I'd let Morsell and Stattman jack 3s all day. But Huff, Woldetensae, Key, Diakite and even Clark are decent 3 point shooters when left open. I've been particularly impressed with Diakite's range this year. The strides on both ends of the court that he's made over his 4 years has been impressive. He's made himself into a viable 1st round pick. When he was a freshman, er 1st year player, he had no clue on either end of the court.

Edited to add agree with Pilch about VT, unfortunately. Nolley is an absolute stud, who will probably only be around for another year. I really like Radford's game as sort of a Bruce Dalrymple type guard and think he'll only get better. Alleyne has really come down to earth since he was putting up big numbers early in the season. He has a fugly shooting motion that may need to get fixed. Young has 2 4* wings coming in next year, but he could use another big and badly needs a PG because Bede ain't it.

Last edited:
7 of 15 ACC teams ranked lower than #75 in KP. Woof.

Yes, VT was more about their own unforced errors. As critical as I've been about Clark and that he should just be a 15-20 mpg guy, he absolutely abused Bede in that game. Bede was unable to dribble the ball up the court and get Tech into their offensive sets.

83, UVA is okay from 3. I'd let Morsell and Stattman jack 3s all day. But Huff, Woldetensae, Key, Diakite and even Clark are decent 3 point shooters when left open. I've been particularly impressed with Diakite's range this year. The strides on both ends of the court that he's made over his 4 years has been impressive. He's made himself into a viable 1st round pick. When he was a freshman, er 1st year player, he had no clue on either end of the court.

Edited to add agree with Pilch about VT, unfortunately. Nolley is an absolute stud, who will probably only be around for another year. I really like Radford's game as sort of a Bruce Dalrymple type guard and think he'll only get better. Alleyne has really come down to earth since he was putting up big numbers early in the season. He has a fugly shooting motion that may need to get fixed. Young has 2 4* wings coming in next year, but he could use another big and badly needs a PG because Bede ain't it.

Young recently offered another 2* SG for next year. He's currently out of scholarships so we have to assume he knows Nolley or someone else is leaving. I also agree with Pilchard about VPI having hit the wall, as young teams tend to do.

It will be interesting to see how the teams rate him compared with Hoard's experience last year.

Dude is legit, and it doesn't surprise me. Good shooter and scorer inside and out, is long - I'm guessing 6'7-8", and good enough handles to be an NBA 2G or SF. I like him as a pro prospect more than I did NAW last year. Much readier than Hoard last year. Add to that this year's draft isn't nearly as good or deep as last year's.

Dude is legit, and it doesn't surprise me. Good shooter and scorer inside and out, is long - I'm guessing 6'7-8", and good enough handles to be an NBA 2G or SF. I like him as a pro prospect more than I did NAW last year. Much readier than Hoard last year. Add to that this year's draft isn't nearly as good or deep as last year's.

Agree, although NAW is the better passer. If Nolley improves his handle, comparisons to Grant Hill may be in order.

Back