• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do you call your Mother In Law?

ImTheCaptain

I disagree with you
Reaction score
“[Name]” or “Mom”?

I can’t wrap my head around calling my MIL “mom” but apparently it’s out there.

Definitely name. My cousin calls his in-laws mom and dad. It’s weird as fuck in person.

While wife and I were dating: Mrs. Wife's-last-name-at-the-time.
After wife and I were married: MIL's first name.
After my first child was born: Greek word for grandma.

First name or Italian word for Grandma (even though my in-laws aren’t Italian!). I apologize for my cultural appropriation.

I get birthday cards from the in laws signed from Mom and Dad. But nah guys [name] and [name]. Although I call my wife’s grandma Grandma, that’s fine she’s like 90.

I knew her but she died before my wife and I started dating. Mrs. [wife’s maiden name].

FIL remarried...call her by first name or German word for grandma.

FIL...call him by first name or German word for grandpa.

Agree it seems weird to consider calling them mom or dad.

Name until our girls were old enough to call her Nannie...I followed suit.

Marie

Funny thing is that my wife and I, and her older brother and his wife have the same names. On Christmas, we get gifts with our middle names on them.

In the same boat as calling her by her name when it’s just us, but her grandmother name when she’s with our daughter.

not married, but my mom always called her MIL (my Nana) "mom"

I guess it's kinda weird, but I'm used to it

First time I met her i called her Mrs. Last name, she immediately insisted that i call her by her first name (which my now wife told me would happen, but i decided to start formally anyway)
I now call her by her first name and occasionally call her Gram, which is what my kids call her, usually when I've been referring to her in the 3rd person to my kids a lot then i talk to her directly

First name or her grandma nickname. The only thing weirder than calling your MIL "mom" is calling your wife "mother".

I don’t think it’s so strange to call your spouse “mom” or “dad” etc. especially when referring to them in the presence of your children.

:noidea:

Back