• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't Blame the Deacs for Conference's Troubles

Finley is one of the best QBs in State history? I mean, I haven't been watching ACC football as long as you, but Rivers, Wilson, and Brissett were all a lot better than Finley.

That's based on the modern game (passing) re: Finley's raw numbers.

I'd go something like:

Roman Gabriel (All-American '60-'61)
P. Rivers
Russell Wilson
Erik Kramer

Then a whole bunch of good, but maybe not great guys like Shane Montgomery, Brissette, Finley, Barnette, Glennon...

That's based on the modern game (passing) re: Finley's raw numbers.

I'd go something like:

Roman Gabriel (All-American '60-'61)
P. Rivers
Russell Wilson
Erik Kramer

Then a whole bunch of good, but maybe not great guys like Shane Montgomery, Brissette, Finley, Barnette, Glennon...

Erik Kramer is a name from the past

struggling mightily in his post-football life - son died from a drug OD, Erik attempted suicide, arrested for alleged battery against his second wife...

Funny, from a national standpoint Jeff Sagarin has us at #40 behind both UNC #39 and Utah State #35. :confused:

This is all too early with a very small sample size. The respect issue is a true issue. The rankings really don't matter to the players and coaches until the end of the season but it is fun to watch the wide variety of views on rankings.

I lived next door to a suite of football players in Martin Hall my junior year - the 06 football season. When the rankings were announced where Wake cracked the Top 25 for the first time that season, the players went crazy and blasted The Frey’s Cable Car on repeat. Probably lasted over an hour. Pretty sure the rankings mattered to them.

Yeah. We know he went to State.

Gosh, have some sympathy. The poor guy. I don't condone battery, but he is clearly having mental issues at least from what I have seen in the news.

This sort of thing is terrible for all involved. They are all in my prayers. It may turn out that he is just a bad guy but I don't know enough to reach that judgment yet. Neither do you.

Damn, Man.
Read the embedded article.

That was a low blow.

https://apnews.com/b19ca137f3654d0ab408caa6d3c7fec9

AP article on ACC teams and penalties:

“Honestly, I couldn’t even tell you (why) because I don’t know myself,” Syracuse defensive back Trill Williams said when asked about the penalties. “But it’s tied in with discipline. We’ve got to get more disciplined.”

It is a trademark for good teams and one reason Clemson, Virginia and Wake Forest are unbeaten.

The Demon Deacons are second nationally in fewest penalty yards per game (22.67) and third in average penalties (2.67), flagged just eight times in three games. The Cavaliers rank in the top 25 in fewest penalties per game (5.0), while Clemson is in the top third of the FBS ranks in both categories (5.67, 47.67).

I lived next door to a suite of football players in Martin Hall my junior year - the 06 football season. When the rankings were announced where Wake cracked the Top 25 for the first time that season, the players went crazy and blasted The Frey’s Cable Car on repeat. Probably lasted over an hour. Pretty sure the rankings mattered to them.
I recall those days and the atmosphere well then and really agree that team was watching and reading the polls weekly.
This 2019 team is a little different I believe. After all they are coached differently too.
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...es-for-Elon-by-blocking-out-noise--135802530/

Back