• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake.......Forest chant after 1st downs

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Ok, what’s the opinion on the deal when our PA guy says “ First down, Wake” and the crowd goes “Forest?” I’ve participated in it, but to me we’re just ripping off State and UNC. You know, the PA guys there go “Wolf” or “Tar” and the crowd goes “Pack” or “Heels.” I think we’re better than being copy cats and need to do something more unique.

Finally, we get some fan engagement in the games and maintain during a drive with repeated 1st downs and it receives negative comments. Feel free to offer up some suggestions.

I guess that means I like it because it improves the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Ok, what’s the opinion on the deal when our PA guy says “ First down, Wake” and the crowd goes “Forest?” I’ve participated in it, but to me we’re just ripping off State and UNC. You know, the PA guys there go “Wolf” or “Tar” and the crowd goes “Pack” or “Heels.” I think we’re better than being copy cats and need to do something more unique.

UNC does it. I don't think State does. I think they do the "and that's a Wolfpack [crowd]FIRST DOWN[/crowd].

There's only so much you can do creatively and I'm for anything that gets the crowd into it. If there's something more original/creative, I'm for it, but since we're pumping up the WAKE....FOREST thing even with our college commercial, I say we run with it.

I thought we already had a first down thing. Back in my day the students and band would clap 1,2,3 and then signal first down.

They've been doing the first down chant forever. It isn't new.

I've been to every Wake home game for at least the last 8 years and yesterday was the first time I have heard the PA announcer saying "First down Wake..." and the crowd responding "Forest!"

Yeah, in years past, the band has played something with a 1, 2, 3 clap and signal first down. But it never caught on stadium wide.

Almost anything is acceptable if it engages the crowd. Whether some other program uses this chant is neither demeaning to WF nor some other team.

just glad that we don't have that god awful mic man leading chants like when I was in school in the 90's. Here are a few I remember

Fumble, fumble, fumble fumble...take it Deacons take it.

Overwhelm, overwhelm, make them relinquish the ball.

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy Hold'em Deacons Hold'em .

makes me cringe just thinking about it.

just glad that we don't have that god awful mic man leading chants like when I was in school in the 90's. Here are a few I remember

"what do we want? TD! what's that? touchdown!"

Yeah, in years past, the band has played something with a 1, 2, 3 clap and signal first down. But it never caught on stadium wide.

I feel like the band really struggled with that with the hurry up offense.

I like the new thing. Hope it sticks.

One of these days I would love for our fans to understand not to scream like idiots when we’re in key situations on offense.

Almost anything is acceptable if it engages the crowd. Whether some other program uses this chant is neither demeaning to WF nor some other team.

Yep.
The more the crowd is involved, the better.

ECU has been doing it for 30 years; First down...Pirates.

Speaking of Wake... FOREST, I actually like the commercials they're running now. I have hated most of Wake's ad campaigns over the last 20 years, but I think this one is pretty good.

UNC does it. I don't think State does. I think they do the "and that's a Wolfpack [crowd]FIRST DOWN[/crowd].

There's only so much you can do creatively and I'm for anything that gets the crowd into it. If there's something more original/creative, I'm for it, but since we're pumping up the WAKE....FOREST thing even with our college commercial, I say we run with it.

You're right on State, my bad. Still I hate to feel like we're copying anything UNC does. Like somebody else posted, the band used to play something short and we would clap or something. What happened to that?

Finally, we get some fan engagement in the games and maintain during a drive with repeated 1st downs and it receives negative comments. Feel free to offer up some suggestions.

I guess that means I like it because it improves the atmosphere.

I'm not saying it's terrible, just wish we had something that wasn't like the Holes. I'll keep participating in it. I just think PA guys in general need to use a little sense on these things and maybe not do it after every first down. Like late in the game up big or down big and there's 20 people in the stands.

Push 'em back, push 'em back.... way back!

I'm not saying it's terrible, just wish we had something that wasn't like the Holes. I'll keep participating in it. I just think PA guys in general need to use a little sense on these things and maybe not do it after every first down. Like late in the game up big or down big and there's 20 people in the stands.

You mean we’re doing this too often?
We’re getting too many first downs?

Let’s do it so much that our opponents get sick of it.

Back