• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little late to the terrible youth sports convo, but have any of you ever watched bad middle school basketball? I coached the boys one year and we always played after the girls game. And they wanted us out there to support the girls. So I sat through every game, home and away. Most weeks the total number of fouls and turnovers would be far greater than points scored. It was brutal. Honestly made me dislike the entire sport.

your rj love makes more sense every day

That’s fair. There’s some definite RJ ramble there. We all don’t have your gift for brevity. I love you too, Milhouse. .

weren't we talking about food hangovers the other day? I am strugg-a-ling this morning after too much pizza and wings but only 2 beers.

weren't we talking about food hangovers the other day? I am strugg-a-ling this morning after too much pizza and wings but only 2 beers.

Food hangovers are definitely a thing
I recently did a Keto diet for 5 weeks. I would drink straight liquor but that was it as far a drinking (I rarely drink liquor any more, so that was a big change), but as Keto goes...no carbs
One weekend night the kids were down and my wife went to bed early and I really got into a nice bottle of bourbon while watching some B movies on the porch, finished 2/3 of the bottle (which used to be a normal Friday, but these days is a lot for me). I was pretty drunk, but the next day I was (relatively) fine, felt a little grubby, not too bad.
The weekend after I finished my diet I ate a bunch of pizza and maybe 3 or 4 beers and a glass of wine and felt awful the next day. Made me think about how much of my "hangovers" were alcohol related vs just eating shitty/carby food when I drank alcohol (craft beers a killer too)

last night around 11:30 my dog started freaking out so i went out to the living room and there were like ten cop cars out front and cops running in the alley a couple houses down from me. they chased a dude into the construction site behind my house where he attempted to climb up all this scaffolding, but then eventually surrendered. then they stayed on the construction site for like two hours looking around with flashlights for...? cool story hansel. my dog wouldn't stfu about it for a while.

columbia heights has a kind of worrying amount of gun violence (neighborhood near mine) but mine is pretty quiet.

There's defs been an uptick all over the city, and Columbia Heights has been particularly bad. The Sunday afternoon shooting outside the Giant in Shaw (my Giant) is terrifying. Luckily I was too lazy to go on Sunday, but I was about to head over there right at the time of the shooting because it was between the end of the ManU debacle and the start of the Cowboys debacle.

Yeah its the broad daylight shootings in Columbia Heights that are worrying. Someone was shot like three blocks from my house the week after we moved in too. And my wife was concerned about the new neighborhood until I reminded her there were like 8 shootings in two weeks in Capitol Hill where we'd just moved from, a block away from the dog park we took our dog every day.

cousin and husband lived in Columbia Heights until a little over a year ago while pregnant with their second child -- they moved to Bethesda for the schools and safety concerns. her husband grew up in Manhattan and his parents unironically say he "moved out to the country."

Bethesda is defs the country compared to Columbia Heights

I lived in Glover Park for the first 9 years I lived in town and I think statistically it's the safest neighborhood in DC. Even with the shootings and violence and general sketchiness, I still prefer living in my current neighborhood.

Same, I'd so much rather live where I live now than sleepy, residential Capitol Hill. Except the grocery store here is meh.

Same, I'd so much rather live where I live now than sleepy, residential Capitol Hill. Except the grocery store here is meh.

The sleepy DC neighborhoods that I’ve walked around after hours all give me Exorcist vibes.

I don’t think I’d ever tire of living on Capitol Hill. Just so pretty

Had a good visit to DC weekend before last. We rented kayaks and hung out by the water for a bit, ride bikes around and walked most of the monuments, went to Call Your Mother Deli and Chicken + Whiskey which had a very solid whiskey selection. Felt like there were a TON of homeless people in that 14th St corridor.

I really loved it, and we were I think in a different part than Townie. Really close to East Capitol Street, Eastern Market and Union Station. Also loved living in Adams Morgan and am jealous of all the great restaurants that have opened there since we moved.

Some good restaurants on H and Barrack's Row but depending on where you live you're not super close to one of those things (we were a 15 minute walk from either).

It is pretty though. My standard run used to be down to Lincoln Park, take East Capitol to the Capitol, run around the mall to either the Washington or the Lincoln and then back the same way. Apart from all the tourists, it never really got old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back