• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, it's still a step up from Juice's mom's stovepipe, and I've got my tongue buried to the hilt in that stank box on the reg. It's a cute little balloon knot doe.

This man may be a one-trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick.

I have a bit of a conundrum, albeit a good one to have. Bought a pair of Chacos this week to wear in Hawaii on our honeymoon for hiking, kayaking, etc. Today is the 2nd time I've worn them, and I'm definitely starting to get a couple tough blisters. Given that some of the hikes go through rivers/under waterfalls, I really would prefer not to wear old trail shoes/sneakers, but also don't want my feet to turn into ground beef.

We leave 10/6. Should I give up on the Chacos, or keep trying to break them in?

I have a bit of a conundrum, albeit a good one to have. Bought a pair of Chacos this week to wear in Hawaii on our honeymoon for hiking, kayaking, etc. Today is the 2nd time I've worn them, and I'm definitely starting to get a couple tough blisters. Given that some of the hikes go through rivers/under waterfalls, I really would prefer not to wear old trail shoes/sneakers, but also don't want my feet to turn into ground beef.

Stick with them. You can always put some duct tape on your feet where the rubbing is happening to guard against a blister.

If you wear them a couple more times and get blisters again, dump them. It's not worth it.

I'd take them but bring sneakers/hiking boots on all your hikes just in case. I didn't break my Chacos all the way in (or get feet acclimated) before my last Hawaii trip and I got a monster blister on first Waterfall hike (took just 2-3 miles). Luckily I had my boots to change into for the hike back but was defs annoying having to take them on-and-off for deep river crossings etc. for the rest of the trip

It was still useful having the Chacos just for swimming in waterfalls even after the blister (lots of rocky bottoms).

Sage advice. I don't even own hiking boots anymore, so Chacos/sneakers it is.

don't risk ruining a honeymoon with sore feet/blisters.

31770eb5b98474e4a37e96d402f32d39.jpg

Is there anyway that you can wear them to work this week? I know that's probably a stretch, but it's all about feet in sandals to break them in.

You'll be breaking Milhouse's advice there, but he's big gay, so don't sweat it.

Interesting where you draw the speech line there, mako.

That's fair. I guess I interpret one as being self-effacing and in an attempt at humor, where as this seems to be a direct attack on someone's masculinity predicated on use of a homophobic slur. But I'm sure I've missed GTB doing the same shit, and am being a hypocrite by thinking his schtick is funny. I've never seen GTB use faggot, though.

Here's what I think: say literally whatever you want. Free speech is important. Understand there are consequences for your speech; they may be minor (someone's feelings are hurt), they may be major (you lose your job, you get punched in the face). Policing speech, though, is categorically bad.

I try to consider the POV of the person I'm speaking with as a courtesy I enjoy when others show it. I know even that mindset is hard for people, especially with seemingly new courtesies like gender pronouns or other signifiers. And I recognize that some people wholeheartedly reject the concept that the words you choose are important; having thick skin is an important part of being an adult too, and you won't make it anywhere in this world without it. I think there's a difference between using a slur on a message board and using it in real life too. I have a sibling who is not heterosexual. If someone called her a slur, I'd probably take issue with it. See above about major consequences.

The reason I choose to weigh in on Knight is not because I find what he has to say offensive. It's because I think he has a poorly developed sense of humor. Whereas by comparison I think Milhouse is a funny dude. Would I use a slur like that? No, but I don't really get offended on behalf of others either. Tricky stuff, above my paygrade, but my $0.02.

That's fair. I guess I interpret one as being self-effacing and in an attempt at humor, where as this seems to be a direct attack on someone's masculinity predicated on use of a homophobic slur. But I'm sure I've missed GTB doing the same shit, and am being a hypocrite by thinking his schtick is funny. I've never seen GTB use faggot, though.

I don't say the F word unless I'm with my gay friends and a faggoty guy shows up and makes it an appropriate adjective.

You've keyed in on my humor - it's totally self-effacing. You're probably a super-cool dude, because people with high self-esteem typically love that shit. However, ass clowns that hate themselves typically get all butthurt about it, because they aren't in a place where they can say, "oh, yeah, I'm totally being gay." So you do you, Mako. Swing that big dick.

Here's what I think: say literally whatever you want. Free speech is important. Understand there are consequences for your speech; they may be minor (someone's feelings are hurt), they may be major (you lose your job, you get punched in the face). Policing speech, though, is categorically bad.

I try to consider the POV of the person I'm speaking with as a courtesy I enjoy when others show it. I know even that mindset is hard for people, especially with seemingly new courtesies like gender pronouns or other signifiers. And I recognize that some people wholeheartedly reject the concept that the words you choose are important; having thick skin is an important part of being an adult too, and you won't make it anywhere in this world without it. I think there's a difference between using a slur on a message board and using it in real life too. I have a sibling who is not heterosexual. If someone called her a slur, I'd probably take issue with it. See above about major consequences.

The reason I choose to weigh in on Knight is not because I find what he has to say offensive. It's because I think he has a poorly developed sense of humor. Whereas by comparison I think Milhouse is a funny dude. Would I use a slur like that? No, but I don't really get offended on behalf of others either. Tricky stuff, above my paygrade, but my $0.02.

You're gay.

Also, Milhouse used to be super cool. My #1 favorite poster, but the last four years or so have been tough on that dude. He's really taken a nosedive on the boards and I hope that things are ok for him.

Fair enough. When you've taught high school for around a decade and a half in a rural area where people think it's socially acceptable to throw around faggot as an insult, and you've seen 3 promising former students who happened to be gay commit suicide either while in still in high school or directly after, you become a tad bit sensitive to shit like that, and maybe hope you don't see it used on a message board with posters you generally respect and enjoy reading the thoughts of. I think Milhouse is generally funny as well, but that doesn't stop it from being a shitty post. That doesn't stop faggot from being hate speech. And it doesn't stop me from questioning why someone would think that it's ok. In my experience, if you don't occasionally get offended for others, than those others often feel like they are alone without allies. So I'll probably never be able to see or hear that sort of bullshit without pointing out it's shitty. My .02.

And to be fair, I have a poorly developed sense of humor by board standards. I think Knight is often funny. And I occasionally laugh at RJ posts. So everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back