• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could do a day at Venice/Santa Monica and the 3rd Street Promenade.

Probably going to do this, biking in between the two and stopping at places along the way.

It might be better to take a day at the Getty rather than downtown.

Will probably do this the other day we're staying in West LA; I really want to see it.)

thx

Take the day and see both the Getty and The Villa.

Think about calling to reserve your parking place. I think parking is about $20 but admission is free. Can you get more CA than that?

They have pretty good eating for museums. The main restaurant has some nice views.

since we're on the topic of vacations, we booked for the holidays

land in LA dec 23rd, fly out of palm springs jan 3rd

thinking something like

Wed
Santa Monica
Venice/Santa Monica bike, promenade
Gjusta lunch (deli)

Thu
Santa Monica
Drive to Getty museum, Solstice Canyon hike

Friday
Silver Lake/Echo Park/Chinatown
The Last Bookstore
Highland Park Brewery
Mh Zh dinner (mediterranean)

Saturday
Silver Lake/Echo Park/Chinatown
?

Revised the above just focusing on LA days. Need to mix in some tacos and DTLA stuff. And maybe one plama-level meal.

FailingLongGlowworm-size_restricted.gif

That is exactly the image that popped into my head when I read his post.

Revised the above just focusing on LA days. Need to mix in some tacos and DTLA stuff. And maybe one plama-level meal.

Guerilla Tacos in the Arts district absolutely blew me away when I ate there for the first time a few weeks ago.

a Strick recommendation that I really dug was Little Fatty and its bar Accomplice -- in an area void of any walkability or other culture from what I could tell, but v cool spot for food and cocktails

in Mar Vista, which is West LA

You won't be able to check it out this early, but a comedy show Saturday night might be fun. The Comedy Store, Laff Stop and Improv could have big names on a Saturday night. Whomever is performing on a Saturday night will be good. Pauly Shore has been helping running his family biz at the Comedy Store.

It's too bad you'd have to pay three covers, or you could do The Whisky, Roxy and Key Club on Saturday night as they are on the same few blocks on Sunset.

Not sure you''ll need two days to do Silver Lake/Echo Park/Chinatown.

Will spend that second day doing downtown stuff--I just think we'll stay somewhere near Silver Lake or Echo Park.

Also that first Wednesday is Christmas. IDK if everything is shut down in Venice/Santa Monica for that?

For downtown:

The Broad is cool and free, but feels like it was built for Instagram

observation deck at city hall is worthwhile and also free

most every museum that isn't always free has free nights/days, so could be worth scheduling around

You gotta check out the Museum of Jurassic Technology when you're on the west side. You could do tacos at Guisados on Saturday (they have locations in Echo Park, DTLA, and Boyle Heights) or just do a late night run to one of the Leo's or Mariscos Jalisco trucks on Friady or Saturday.

I don't know what counts as a plama-level meal, but, if you're able to get a reservation, Providence ($$$$), Bavel ($$$), or Bestia ($$$) would be my recommendations.

Guerilla Tacos in the Arts district absolutely blew me away when I ate there for the first time a few weeks ago.

Great rec. I completely forgot about this one. I still tend to crave Guisados more often, but Guerrilla Tacos is awesome.

For downtown:

The Broad is cool and free, but feels like it was built for Instagram

observation deck at city hall is worthwhile and also free

most every museum that isn't always free has free nights/days, so could be worth scheduling around

Great recs. Walking around the Little Tokyo and Chinatown neighborhoods could be cool, too. Grand Central Market is a fun place to check out.

Also that first Wednesday is Christmas. IDK if everything is shut down in Venice/Santa Monica for that?

Lots of stuff will be closed. I wouldn't be surprised if Loew's, Shutters or another fancy hotel would have an Xmas brunch or dinner special.

Marina del Rey is right next to Venice. They may have something on Xmas.

Xmas may be the perfect day for the bike ride if you can find a rental place open. It may also be a good day to visit Santa Monica Pier.

I really appreciate this, y'all!

Found a cool spot near Joshua tree as well, and am getting some help on Palm Spring recs.

This feels like a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back