• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
People always buy shirts for cool cities they visit like "San Diego" or "Paris". They ought to make shirts for shitty NC towns like "Gastonia" and "Greensboro" and "Lumberton" and "Ahoskie".

You ever stayed at the Ahoskie Inn, bro? Change your life.

Growing up playing football or even still today, whenever I hear someone yell "oskie" (still don't get this) after an interception, I think of Ahoskie. #funfacts

Wife and I are gonna spend xmas and new years on the left coast. What should we do in LA? Where to stay, what to do, what to eat/drink? Let's say we had three or four full days.

You tell me man. Mostly want to make it a food and booze trip. Palm Springs for a couple days for spa/golf stuff, and Joshua Tree with a camper van for hippie shit. Where in and around LA should we hang out?

Growing up playing football or even still today, whenever I hear someone yell "oskie" (still don't get this) after an interception, I think of Ahoskie. #funfacts

Fun memories. We once played football in the giant lobby of the Ahoskie inn.

Steakhouse update: still not that cool

dude ate a 32oz steak plus a ton of other food

it was something

You tell me man. Mostly want to make it a food and booze trip. Palm Springs for a couple days for spa/golf stuff, and Joshua Tree with a camper van for hippie shit. Where in and around LA should we hang out?

If you want to do a romantic, semi-tourist trap, either eat dinner or gets apps and drinks at Yamashiro. It's the pagoda above the Magic Castle, you can see from Dodger Stadium all the way to LAX. There's a koi pond and the waitresses are dressed in amazing kimono.

Do not get sucked into the Farmers Market. Overpriced and not much there. Don't go to Pink's. Their hot dogs are mediocre at best.

palma will know more about the current foodie places in LA proper.

Some fun just drinking and goofing around could be going to the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and the pier is a couple of blocks away. There are several bars on the promenade (but some of the best are dive bars walking in the neighborhood), street music.

If you know when you are arriving, you might be able to get tix for Conan or other shows.

The Getty is an amazing museum and has incredible views (you have to make a reservation for your car)

EDIT: If you liked, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the restaurant they kept showing was Musso & Frank. It's old, old, old school Hollywood. Food is OK, pricey, but is is stopped in time. The Palm is the Palm wherever you go to one, but this one has lots of famous people. When their Maitre D' died, BH police said on Sinatra's funeral was more attended. If you go to The Palm, you can go to a show next door at The Troubador.

Last edited:

Getty is a good call.

Trying to talk my wife into getting tix to the Rose Bowl (and going to the parade).

Steakhouse update: still not that cool

dude ate a 32oz steak plus a ton of other food

it was something

Wife and I are going to one of the nicer places in Atlanta tomorrow for her belated birthday dinner. I’m pretty excited about it.

Getty is a good call.

Trying to talk my wife into getting tix to the Rose Bowl (and going to the parade).

You'll be here for New Year's...

the Rose Bowl is a great stadium. Big steps, probably 18" or so. You can see from anywhere.

A way to get your wife to OK the Rose Bowl may be to balance with a couple of hours at the LA Arboretum which is right in the neighborhood of the Rose Bowl.

Check out who is playing at the Comedy Store, Laff Stop or Improv. You might luck out given the time of year.

palma and buckets will probably know more of the upscale places. There is a really good Italian joint in Santa Monica called something like Uvo or Uovo. It's one of the best you'll find.

Along the lines of Once Upon a Time, the Mexican joint they show Sharon eating at near the end is El Coyote. It's been there since the 20s or 30s. Get "scratch margarita").

Check out Fox Auto Rental if you are flying into LAX. It is often much cheaper.

What's your food budget?

Hopefully B1G Champion Ohio State will be in the Rose Bowl this year against the PAC 12 Champion.

What's your food budget?

Will probably budget for two nice dinners (preferably less than $500 each), maybe save one for Palm Springs, got a rec for Sandfish there (?). My dad also recommended Fishing with Dynamite for the raw bar which is in one of the beach towns. Also want to experience the great LA cheap eats scene.

LA just did the Michelin star guide this year for the first time in awhile. It's fairly on point. I feel like you'd like Somni as your super expensive option. That and n/naka would be my two recommendations for you. I'd hit up Bay Cities for the Godmother sandwich on your Santa Monica day. You can go super expensive sushi options like on the Michelin star guide, but the best bang for your buck is a place called Sushi Gen near the arts district, as it's a great value for the buck, generous portions, etc.

https://la.eater.com/2019/6/3/18651...nts-los-angeles-orange-county-california-2019

Best concentration of breweries is in the arts district. Most fun for a vacation I'd say would be staying at a hotel like the Roosevelt or Mondrian for a hotel experience. The Beverly Wilshire where Wolfgang Puck's CUT restaurant would be fairly central to things and fun too, as you're right next to Rodeo Drive. Based on what I know of your personality, you'd probably like the Silverlake area. That's where you're going to find your nicer cheaper food options. There or Highland Park. Pretty cool sake bar called Ototo out there for some boozing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back