• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kind of a dick lately

I don't doubt it. I'm just getting tired of the ignorance on here, man. There's just been a lot of bullshit on the boards lately for whatever reason. And I get it, I guess? It's easy to be comfortable and never have your beliefs/values questioned. If I'm the dick for calling out scooter for holding what I interpret to be transphobic beliefs, then so be it I guess.

I don't doubt it. I'm just getting tired of the ignorance on here, man. There's just been a lot of bullshit on the boards lately for whatever reason. And I get it, I guess? It's easy to be comfortable and never have your beliefs/values questioned. If I'm the dick for calling out scooter for holding what I interpret to be transphobic beliefs, then so be it I guess.

People are not ignorant simply because they disagree with you.

Everyone is somethingphobic. Fact

Sure, but we can try to conduct ourselves as people and posters to try and minimize our various shortcomings. I have a ton, for sure. Lately, there is just this retreat into ignorance on here that I think is pretty gross. Be best, or whatever.

People are not ignorant simply because they disagree with you.

What are you referring to?

The kinds of rhetoric that scooter is using about a transgender athlete are eerily similar to the types of rhetoric used to keep sports segregated. At some point, our society will reach a point where we view gender in ways similar to how we view race. The natural and social science is already there. It's a shame that posters would rather hold on to their ignorance on these issues instead of learning more. Maybe it's easier if you come into (knowing) contact with transgender people, idk.

What OGB is referring to is your history of anyone who disagrees with you being assailed as being ignorant. On top of that, you almost never (I think I remember one) admit you are wrong. Even when definitive links are shown to you, rather admitting you are wrong you change the subject, become adamant and refuse to reply.

This is who you have been the entire time you have posted here.

What are you referring to?

The kinds of rhetoric that scooter is using about a transgender athlete are eerily similar to the types of rhetoric used to keep sports segregated. At some point, our society will reach a point where we view gender in ways similar to how we view race. The natural and social science is already there. It's a shame that posters would rather hold on to their ignorance on these issues instead of learning more. Maybe it's easier if you come into (knowing) contact with transgender people, idk.

Is it OK for an athlete to start identifying as transgender in order to excel in a sport they couldn't otherwise compete? Not saying that's happening, but it certainly could. And are you saying that there will no longer be men's and women's sports eventually? HS/college/pro leagues/teams will encompass both (all?) genders? That will certainly never happen.

Whatever happened to RChildress? Is that fella still around? Wasn't there some kind of self-imposed ban because Danny is terrible still? I just remember bits and pieces of that whole thing.

Is it OK for an athlete to start identifying as transgender in order to excel in a sport they couldn't otherwise compete? Not saying that's happening, but it certainly could. And are you saying that there will no longer be men's and women's sports eventually? HS/college/pro leagues/teams will encompass both (all?) genders? That will certainly never happen.

I'm sure there are TONS of people who are willing to go through the stigma of being labeled TG in order to play HS or college sports. TONS!

There have been transgender people in public for close to 75 years. Other than Renee Richards, how many have competed on a top level in sports? There have been tens of thousands (probably more) people who have transitioned. why haven't we seen this yet?

We're like 314 generations away from being generally accepting of transgenders.

Definitely in the United States, but third genders are pretty common historically in a lot of non-European cultures.

I'm sure there are TONS of people who are willing to go through the stigma of being labeled TG in order to play HS or college sports. TONS!

DistrictDeacon makes the point that I want to make. Like, the only people that I know who see this as an advantage are cisgender heterosexual people. Like, stigmatized identity isn't a card that has much currency in like 99% of the world. Perhaps in some corners of Twitter, a handful of college campuses, and a handful of non-profit organizations? Conservative media in particular does a great job of convincing people of the contrary, but I encourage folks on here to actually get to know transgender people and listen to their daily experiences. Transitioning to excel at sports is just such a cynical understanding of how gender identity works.

What OGB is referring to is your history of anyone who disagrees with you being assailed as being ignorant. On top of that, you almost never (I think I remember one) admit you are wrong. Even when definitive links are shown to you, rather admitting you are wrong you change the subject, become adamant and refuse to reply.

This is who you have been the entire time you have posted here.

RJ, I may be a dick (and I'll own up to it), but you still have no clue of the difference between your opinion (and opinion, more generally) and fact. I admit that I'm wrong often. Your memory may not be as good as it once was, but there is a search function.

ETA: I'll stop "cunting up the thread again." RJ, feel free to PM me. I'm sure we both have invectives that we would like to recklessly throw at each other.

I realize we're talking a very tiny number of people, but would you not think that a man competing against a woman in a sporting event would have an advantage ? Obviously some degree of training and skill is assumed in this case.

This is not something that keeps me up at night.

I realize we're talking a very tiny number of people, but would you not think that a man competing against a woman in a sporting event would have an advantage ? Obviously some degree of training and skill is assumed in this case.

A man competing against a woman in certain sporting events would have an advantage. That being said, it's also pretty fucked up to conflate transitioning or transgender people with "men" or "women."

One of the benefits of dressing like a woman is you don't have to tuck your shirt in nearly as often. Nearly every cute boutique is like an UNTUCKit store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back