• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: 10s: HOF, 20s: kid kungfu sphincter paralysis, 50: Chick-fill-A-hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full disclosure - I didn’t have one, but it seems like a waste to have an expensive videographer. Like how many times are you going to go back and watch videos of your wedding? And chances are the storage medium like DVD or whatever will be out of date and unusable in 10 years anyway.

I think you get a good ROI on cake but not necessarily the photography. you could have plenty of family/friends taking cell phone pics that end up being almost, if not as good as a pro photographer. I've been to weddings that had $15,000+ bands and that seems like a huge waste of money.

Hard disagree. You are paying the photographer to guarantee full coverage of the event, and then selection and processing of photos. Having you aunt take a couple pictures from the third row during the ceremony and then get drunk and not take any of the reception is what happens when you rely on family/friends.

Photos are literally going to be the only thing that exists long after the wedding. Spend the money to make them good.

Yeah but how often do you look at your 100s of photos you spent 1000s of dollars on. A couple decent wedding shots put up in the house tops. Same with pictures in general, take picture, post picture or send picture, people see once, never seen again.

Wedding photos don’t need to cost thousands. Publishing is where they get you. Just find a reputable person that will give you the images and you can print yourself.

I think you get a good ROI on cake but not necessarily the photography. you could have plenty of family/friends taking cell phone pics that end up being almost, if not as good as a pro photographer. I've been to weddings that had $15,000+ bands and that seems like a huge waste of money.

Our daughter got married earlier this year and basically everything associated with a wedding is stupid expensive. The best investment we made by far was the band. They didn't cost anywhere near $15k but they were awesome! A great band makes all the difference in the reception experience. People won't remember the decorations but they will remember whether they spent the whole night on the dance floor. Other keys include sufficient bar tenders so no one spends the night standing in line and good food that doesn't take all night to serve.
I disagree on both the cake and the photographer... Most people don't even eat the cake, in my experience. We did a small cake with cupcakes on the side and even the cupcakes didn't get eaten.
And our photographer was expensive but, again, she was great. Very organized and quick with all the family and other necessary photos. Did some great artistic photos around town with the bride and groom but didn't take too long getting them done. And came up with some great action shots at the reception. No cell phone pics are going to come close to what she produced!

Full disclosure - I didn’t have one, but it seems like a waste to have an expensive videographer. Like how many times are you going to go back and watch videos of your wedding? And chances are the storage medium like DVD or whatever will be out of date and unusable in 10 years anyway.

I agree here - we had a videographer but a very basic, cheap one - he was just starting his business. If anything, he exceeded our expectations. But you are right, how often are you going to look at that? I feel like pictures are more useful and important. You are more likely to flip through your photo album every once in a while than you are to sit down and look at a video. I think it is easier to find someone who can put together a pretty good edited version of your wedding and reception that comes out to like 5 minutes - and do it pretty cheaply - than it is to find a cheap photographer than can do a good job.

Yeah but how often do you look at your 100s of photos you spent 1000s of dollars on. A couple decent wedding shots put up in the house tops. Same with pictures in general, take picture, post picture or send picture, people see once, never seen again.

we use Blurb.com to make photo books for big vacations, the wedding and for annual albums of our kid. pretty good quality for the cost and we/visitors check them out often enough to make it worth it.

we didn't do a videographer for the wedding. who wants to watch that

I was very strongly against a videographer initially but relented when my mother in law offered to help with the cost (we paid for everything else). When I saw the work that high quality wedding videographers are doing now it changed my mind pretty quickly. They are full on productions with amazing editing and quality. The team that did ours is called Amor in Motion, they have a bunch of their work on the website. They did a very cool 5 min video that was great for sharing and regular rewatching and a 30 min version (yet to be seen) that is basically a mini documentary of the day.

those who have planned weddings recently, what is the stupidest cost?

the venue prices I've heard are just outrageous

Getaway car.

Clearly, there's a difference here if you're getting a limo or will be using the car to shuttle guests between wedding and reception venues, but if the sole purpose is as a getaway car, that is the answer

Most people who attended our wedding liked the band and the florals best. Both were expensive but well worth it in the end. We didn’t do a cake, had a donut bar instead which most people enjoyed.

Originally I really wanted to do ours at Boston Public Library which is just a stunning setting. We actually did the tour and quote. Cheapest option with just chicken I think as the entree was $63k for 125 guests. So yeah.

High quality photographer or videographer for the honeymoon night seems like a better expenditure to me now that I’m a decade into marriage.

Also our photographer was terrific and everyone who has seen the photos has commented on the quality but she was NC-based so we got a bit of a cost break and she photographed a friend’s wedding that we attended the year before so we got a good idea of what we’d be getting.

Most people who attended our wedding liked the band and the florals best. Both were expensive but well worth it in the end. We didn’t do a cake, had a donut bar instead which most people enjoyed.

Originally I really wanted to do ours at Boston Public Library which is just a stunning setting. We actually did the tour and quote. Cheapest option with just chicken I think as the entree was $63k for 125 guests. So yeah.

Can you please convert this dollar amount to millions of Dongs ?

Thank you.

You pay the professional to ensure you get those decent (although I would argue that the bar should be higher for one of the biggest days in your relationship) photos to hang up. And not leaving it to chance.

And mothers and grandparents love wedding albums.

We saved like a grand by doing pies instead of a wedding cake. Basically anything wedding-branded comes at a premium. A wedding dress is gonna cost 10x what a similar looking dress will cost in another color or slightly different style. If you book a venue for a party vs booking it for a wedding, the cost difference is huge.

Can we talk fruit again? Ok, cool. My local HEB just got Sumo Oranges in again and those things are so good. 10/10 would recommend.

Listened to Led Zep - The Rain Song on the way to work. Now all I want to do is chill.

One of my all-time favorite memories from childhood was doing the cliff walk in Newport, right by all those old mansions, and, I'm probably making this up now based on fantasy and memory, but my brother and I go ahead of the rest of the family and were just chilling, lying down on one of the lawns. We were like, "man, it'd be cool if someone was blasting some tunes right now," and one of us was like, "yeah, like, Houses of the Holy or something," and then BANG, "Rain Song" starts blaring from one of the big ass mansions, I SWEAR (sort of -- I'd have to talk to him to confirm). Anyway, it was something like that. We definitely heard "Rain Song" whilst lying down on the lawn of a giant ass mansion in Newport, I just forget if there was that crazy synchronicity, or it just came on and we were happy because House of the Holy was my favorite record as a kid.

Just back from Galax, good times great oldies.

Cleared out this old recording studio of this old timer who built it and recorded some semi-famous other old-timers.

My boss definitely mentioned TWICE that I should check out that singer who I heavily flirted with on Tinder many years ago, whose grandfather was the old recording partner of the guy whose studio we were clearing up. He was all, "I really want to get her down to campus to play an event of something." Crazy coincidences man, small world. I held off telling him the tinder story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back