• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

Giuliani visits Ukraine to meet with prosecutors at heart of impeachment inquiry

Zachary Basu10 hours ago
President Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani traveled to Ukraine and Hungary this week in order to meet with the same former Ukrainian prosecutors whose unsubstantiated claims about Joe Biden and his son helped set off the impeachment inquiry, the New York Times reports.

The big picture: The overtures to Yuri Lutsenko, Viktor Shokin and Kostiantyn Kulyk — all of whom have faced allegations of corruption — are part of an effort to solicit new information that Giuliani hopes will undercut the impeachment proceedings, according to the Times.

The Times also reports that Giuliani is using the trip to help produce more episodes of a documentary series marketed as an alternative to Democrats' impeachment narrative on One America News, a pro-Trump media outlet.
Between the lines: The news of Giuliani's trip follows reports from the Times and the Washington Post that he was pursuing thousands of dollars in business from Ukrainian officials — including Lutsenko — in the same months he was attempting to unearth damaging information about Trump's political rivals.

In addition to facing impeachment scrutiny, Giuliani and his associates are being investigated by prosecutors from the Southern District of New York, who are reportedly considering a wide array of charges ranging from unregistered foreign lobbying to fraud to money laundering.
What they're saying: A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Budapest confirmed to the Times that Giuliani had dinner there Tuesday night with the ambassador.

Giuliani did not immediately respond to a comment from Axios. To the Times, he rejected the notion that continuing to pursue missions in Ukraine was risky in light of the impeachment inquiry and New York investigation.
"If S.D.N.Y. leaks and Democrats’ threats stopped me, then I should find a new profession," he texted.
Go deeper: Giuliani pursued business in Ukraine while seeking to dig up dirt on Trump's rivals

https://www.axios.com/rudy-giuliani...kin-45b5444f-34a1-427c-91f1-0d271aa00223.html

Last edited:
1) Military aid was not withheld (if you ignore that it was)
2) Further assistance will be withheld unless Ukraine investigates the Bidens

I ... don't think he's helping?

Two things are clear:

1. Trump doesn’t care if he gets caught because Republicans will let him get away with it.
2. Republicans know they need foreign interference to win the presidency and probably to hold the Senate.

Two things are clear:

1. Trump doesn’t care if he gets caught because Republicans will let him get away with it.
2. Republicans know they need foreign interference to win the presidency and probably to hold the Senate.

Listening to GOP rhetoric, one does get the sense that underneath all that braggadocio they have a real fear that if they ever lose the Presidency or Senate control again, they may never get it back. I don't agree, but they certainly seem to think so.

I don’t know about that. I do know that they know they can be unified strongly for Trump, unified strongly against Trump, lukewarm for Trump, or split and only the first offers a pathway to power.

Listening to GOP rhetoric, one does get the sense that underneath all that braggadocio they have a real fear that if they ever lose the Presidency or Senate control again, they may never get it back. I don't agree, but they certainly seem to think so.

Seems to me that this is the end of the Dems.
Gonna be interesting times soon.

Seems to me that this is the end of the Dems.
Gonna be interesting times soon.

Well sure. That’s the plan. Cheat your way to the top knowing the opponent won’t stoop the same level. Then rig the system in your favor.

I don’t know about that. I do know that they know they can be unified strongly for Trump, unified strongly against Trump, lukewarm for Trump, or split and only the first offers a pathway to power.

Trump himself said in 2016 that if he lost, the GOP would never gain power again. They know that demographics are steadily turning against them, and I think that's what has been feeding a lot of their fears and desperation. I do think at least some of them believe that if they lose the WH in 2020, they may never win it back, hence their acceptance of foreign help and all the other things they've been doing, or trying to do, to hang on to power.

Back