• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

I know nothing about law, so I have this question. If I am subpoenaed and don't show, I get arrested. How can Trump staff and former staff seemingly ignore a subpoena? Why would John Bolton, if subpoenaed, have a choice on whether or not to appear?

NPR did a good piece on this the other day. Basically the congressional Sargent at arms used to go and apprehend people violating their subpoenas but it often got messy and complicated so decades ago they back off forceful enforcement and started taking people to court. However court systems are slower and slower and now it often takes a court longer to decide on the validity of the subpoena than the subpoena is valid. Apparently all subpoenas expire with each congress so when a new congress is elected in 2020 the subpoenas have to be reissued and therefore retried in the court system. The expert on NPR, I think it was Fresh Air, asserted that the Democrats probably feel like they ready have enough evidence to impeach and don’t need these witnesses and they they could also add obstruction charges to the impeachment articles if they want to.

This is going nowhere, as predicted, because Republicans “leaders” are unmoved and greatly resisting this golden opportunity to rid our nation and their party of this dangerous and incompetent demagogue.

Because they are idiots and pussies, having lived too long with false narratives as a means to power to care anymore about truth or good.

the reason it's going nowhere is because the Dems don't have a case for impeachment and are running a show trial with a predetermined outcome instead; it's strictly for people afflicted with TDS

the reason it's going nowhere is because the Dems don't have a case for impeachment and are running a show trial with a predetermined outcome instead; it's strictly for people afflicted with TDS

Do you even know what impeachment is?

...or they’ve completely lost the ability to grasp what is true or good. Although I’m not sure that’s a much more charitable explanation.

NPR did a good piece on this the other day. Basically the congressional Sargent at arms used to go and apprehend people violating their subpoenas but it often got messy and complicated so decades ago they back off forceful enforcement and started taking people to court. However court systems are slower and slower and now it often takes a court longer to decide on the validity of the subpoena than the subpoena is valid. Apparently all subpoenas expire with each congress so when a new congress is elected in 2020 the subpoenas have to be reissued and therefore retried in the court system. The expert on NPR, I think it was Fresh Air, asserted that the Democrats probably feel like they ready have enough evidence to impeach and don’t need these witnesses and they they could also add obstruction charges to the impeachment articles if they want to.

This is a dangerous precedent to allow this obstruction go unpunished.

You do understand that this is not a trial, don't you? This is an inquiry. There will likely not be a trial, because McConnell will never let it get started in the Senate... where the actual trial takes place.

That's right. POTUS is above the law. Like the king the Founders wanted to have.

Thanks for that, I had no idea. Dems may feel like they have enough evidence, but until the Boltons of the world testify who directly talked with Trump (repetitive Pub talking point), they will say it's all hearsay.

You do understand that this is not a trial, don't you? This is an inquiry. There will likely not be a trial, because McConnell will never let it get started in the Senate... where the actual trial takes place.

it's a show trial and not an honest inquiry; when you run a one-sided "inquiry," you get a one-sided, predetermined result

if you want to put your trust in bug-eyed lying hearsay man and his acolytes, go ahead, make Trump's day

it's a show trial and not an honest inquiry; when you run a one-sided "inquiry," you get a one-sided, predetermined result

if you want to put your trust in bug-eyed lying hearsay man and his acolytes, go ahead, make Trump's day

What do you mean by one-sided?

Your second paragraph sounds pretty desperate. When the facts are not on your side, bang on the table and all that.

Its not an objective inquiry until they get to the bottom of this WHITEY BULGER rabbit hole!!!

Back