• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After racist emails, WFU keeps armed guards outside of some classrooms

The percentage of white people is 76.5% and non-Hispanic whites are 60.4%. That's everybody. Young people are far more diverse. That's why I posted that US children (age 0-18) are 51% white.

Hispanics are considered as a subset of white?

Interesting. I would've thought that Hispanic/brown would be a separate category of race.

There's plenty out there that explains it, but primarily it looks at the distinction between white Hispanics and non-white Hispanics.

There's plenty out there that explains it, but primarily it looks at the distinction between white Hispanics and non-white Hispanics.

I'm assuming that separates those with European ancestry and indigenous ancestry?

Last edited:
I'm assuming that separates those with European ancestry and indigenous ancestry?

https://www.census.gov/topics/population/hispanic-origin/about.html

In practice from what I've seen, some Spanish (from Spain) people identify as Hispanic and others do not. I have one colleague from Spain who runs a Hispanic research institute. Some people from Spain are like "fuck you I'm not Hispanic. I'm European." This is the area where Hispanic doesn't equal Latino.

i don't understand why a Spaniard would identify as Hispanic, unless they were born in the Western Hemisphere to parents of mixed/ Spanish and latino heritage and moved back to Spain

that seems like a very specific/arcane distinction to have as a special category

Not really. Hispanic basically means “From Spain or speaks Spanish.” Our society has conflated speaking Spanish with being from south of our border. Brazilians are often considered Latino but not Hispanic.

The racist tags aren’t still there, are they?

I mean, the tag about Biff is still there. Everybody knows that it stereotypes almost-50 white males as closeted homosexuals.

Yeah anyone who posted racist tags should be outed. This is 2019.

Agree they should be outed. Super lame in 2019 even if a “joke.” And outing them on a message board means they’re still anonymous unless they’ve posted their identity before. But that’s on them for being unsmart.

No, the coward that posted them either removed them or LK did them a solid and removed them.

I missed the racist ones...I saw all the ones about ph, was a hoax etc...

If you see a racist tag somewhere let me know via PM. The tags are not anonymous to the admins...I'll gladly out a poster if it's brought to my attention.

There are people living in Central and South American countries, who, even though they are far removed from immigration from Europe, consider themselves white and Spanish/Portuguese speakers. They have not intermixed much, if at all with the Native American people around them. Many are very wealthy and politically and economically powerful. Many would be insulted to be lumped in with "Hispanic, non-white" or "people of color."

There are people living in Central and South American countries, who, even though they are far removed from immigration from Europe, consider themselves white and Spanish/Portuguese speakers. They have not intermixed much, if at all with the Native American people around them. Many are very wealthy and politically and economically powerful. Many would be insulted to be lumped in with "Hispanic, non-white" or "people of color."

yeah but we're not taking the census of central and south american nations

Hispanics are considered as a subset of white?

Its not exact science since it is relying on people to self identify. The genesis of it is that there are white Europeans from Spain and Portugal here and then white colonialists in Argentina and Brazil that have also made their way here. But there is no bright line of demarcation there. Additionally, there are probably a decent amount of Israeli and middle eastern jews who may identify as 'white' in America but are probably genetically way closer to Arabs than WASPS. The point is, when you let people self identify, its not going to be accurate.

Back