• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Third down defense

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
In our three competitive games this year (so excluding Rice and Elon) our D has held our opponents to 6-16 (Utah State), 2-16 (UNC), and 2-12 (BC). Those are some pretty great numbers. We are doing something right on 3rd downs.

BC and UNC did get us for some fourth downs, so to revise the numbers for 3rd and 4th down D:

Utah State: 6-17
UNC: 5-19
BC: 5-17

Still pretty good.

If defense improves on assignments and staying at home then they can play at a very high level. Greer is absolutely essential to this defense!

In our three competitive games this year (so excluding Rice and Elon) our D has held our opponents to 6-16 (Utah State), 2-16 (UNC), and 2-12 (BC). Those are some pretty great numbers. We are doing something right on 3rd downs.

Don’t let the players see this, or Bud at Wake will be surly.

Nasir Greer is an absolute stud. If not for him at least two times Dillon goes for TDS. I’m not enough of a coach to break down his pass coverage but only in the last few years are our guys catching running backs from behind. With FSU two years ago at home and since then when someone breaks free a TD is not automatic.

Update to this thread:

Louisville- 6-14 on 3rd down
FSU- 7-17
NC State- 7-17

#15 in the country coming into today.

I think we were 10 of 19 on 3rd down and a lot of the missed 3rd down conversations came in the last quarter and a half when we took our foot of the gas.

Massive improvement over last season, if I recall correctly. It seemed that every time the crowd stood to cheer for 3rd down stop, the opponent picked up the needed yardage. I stopped standing. This season is a huge turnaround.

Massive improvement over last season, if I recall correctly. It seemed that every time the crowd stood to cheer for 3rd down stop, the opponent picked up the needed yardage. I stopped standing. This season is a huge turnaround.

Yep. Last season it seemed like the longer the yardage for the opponent on third, the better the chance they would pick it up. We could stop them on 3rd and 2 and almost never on 3rd and 12. As fast as our offense wants to go, the defense can really help themselves by getting off of the field in relatively short order. Those long drives by VT were killers, and the defense seemed to really wear down in the second half. They couldn't get off of the field, and the offense couldn't help in keeping them off of the field.

Yep. Last season it seemed like the longer the yardage for the opponent on third, the better the chance they would pick it up. We could stop them on 3rd and 2 and almost never on 3rd and 12. As fast as our offense wants to go, the defense can really help themselves by getting off of the field in relatively short order. Those long drives by VT were killers, and the defense seemed to really wear down in the second half. They couldn't get off of the field, and the offense couldn't help in keeping them off of the field.

Exact opposite against Duke. Defense played 54 snaps. Offense around 90.

Coaching matters

I don’t believe you stopped standing; I cannot.

One reason the team and coach noted the fans and vocal support at the rain out Duke game is because those in attendance are the ones who have been cheering all year long more than others. On the TV replay it sounded very decent to me.

One reason the team and coach noted the fans and vocal support at the rain out Duke game is because those in attendance are the ones who have been cheering all year long more than others. On the TV replay it sounded very decent to me.

Agreed.

Back