• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where will Wake be ranked in AP next week? POLL

The job Clawson has done with the program is phenomenal. While I'm really happy about being ranked, I don't even know where I would rank us at this point. Our schedule hasn't been very difficult, and we beat two borderline bowl-eligible teams by one score, and a good but not great Utah State team by a small miracle. I think we should be ranked at 5-0, but it's tough to tell whether we're really a top 20 team. Or, maybe we're just really good at winning close games and our players are mentally and physically tougher than the competition and step up at the most important times.

Either way, it would be great to look like a top 20 team and beat the shit out of Louisville this Saturday.

100% agree. We’re the shakiest 5-0 possible. Happy to be ranked but we really don’t deserve to be any higher than 22-23 at this point.

So if we got to 9-0 I would figure we would be between 5 and 10?

So if we got to 9-0 I would figure we would be between 5 and 10?

I would think so - depends on attrition ahead of us of course. even if we get to 8-1, the Clemson game might literally be the biggest game in the history of the university.

If we got to 9-0, we'd likely be 8-12 depending on who has lost to whom. It would be tough to get above #8.

BTW, the Coaches' Poll is out. We are up to #17.

GO DEACS!!!

How highly ranked would we have to be that a loss keeps us in?

Depends on who the loss is to. If FSU beats Clemson next week and then beats a 6-0 Wake, we wouldn’t drop out.

It depends on which game. If we lose to L'ville next week, we would likely fall to mid-20s and could fall out. If we are 8-0 and lose, we'd likely still be ranked around #20.

100% agree. We’re the shakiest 5-0 possible. Happy to be ranked but we really don’t deserve to be any higher than 22-23 at this point.

Agree - kinda a tough day yesterday. USU and Rice blown out. BC loses again. UNC kinda meh win against a terrible GT team. oh well as someone pointed out we had some shaky wins during 2006 (Dook) and it all worked out. shaky wins > solid losses

Our coaching staff isn’t thinking about getting impressive wins for the rankings. Maybe that will be a new evolution of a successful program going forward.

Our coaching staff isn’t thinking about getting impressive wins for the rankings. Maybe that will be a new evolution of a successful program going forward.

I don’t understand what this means. We didn’t prioritize scoring more points and allowing the other teams less? We game-planned to have close games against BC and Utah State and letting UNC back into a game they had no business being in? I’m not losing sleep about winning close games, the point is it doesn’t inspire the confidence to say we’re a top 20 team at the moment.

I don’t understand what this means. We didn’t prioritize scoring more points and allowing the other teams less? We game-planned to have close games against BC and Utah State and letting UNC back into a game they had no business being in? I’m not losing sleep about winning close games, the point is it doesn’t inspire the confidence to say we’re a top 20 team at the moment.

Clawson isn't looking for style points.

This could be the high point of the season, so don't get over your skis Deacon fans. We have to beat an inspired Cardinal team and then bitch slap F$U, or we'll be placed back into the cupboard by the national sport writers. We'll get a hand-me-down Bowl invite and all of our good news will be buried behind the Carolina field hockey reports. It's game week, now. BEAT LOUISVILLE!

Clawson isn't looking for style points.

Lol. Yeah, it's hard to get style points when you're hanging on in a one possession game in all three of your wins against teams not named Elon or Rice. Average margin of victory against USU, UNC, and BC is 4 points.

I anticipate PH will admit his comment was nonsense and move on.

I anticipate PH will admit his comment was nonsense and move on.

LOL. You basically agreed with my sentiment. You aren't losing sleep about close games. Clawson isn't either because he isn't looking for style points.

Clawson’s game plan against BC was to slow the game down, limit possessions, and bend but don’t break in defense. They felt that gave us the best chance to win, but is also more likely to put us in a close game rather than a blow out. I think that is what Ph is saying.

Come on. Do you actually think that Clawson didn't want to beat unc by 30?

Back