• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, when you win 31-7 and call off the dogs sometime in the third quarter, that's not looking for style points.

Where will Wake be ranked in AP next week? POLL

This part of ESPN’s AP poll write up definitely sounded familiar

7fb37cf24a2385a95635152a8ea98e24.jpg

Last edited:
Clawson’s game plan against BC was to slow the game down, limit possessions, and bend but don’t break in defense. They felt that gave us the best chance to win, but is also more likely to put us in a close game rather than a blow out. I think that is what Ph is saying.

Thanks. I didn't think it was controversial.

I still don't agree with going for it on 4th down, up 21-0, and giving the 'holes some hope. Against USU, BC, and the 'hole, Newman had long scoring drives that sealed the deal. That's the difference this year. I would love for Jamie to beat out Lawrence for ACC POY.

I still don't agree with going for it on 4th down, up 21-0, and giving the 'holes some hope. Against USU, BC, and the 'hole, Newman had long scoring drives that sealed the deal. That's the difference this year. I would love for Jamie to beat out Lawrence for ACC POY.

That was clawson going for the jugular, the way lots of people say he doesn’t do. It just didn’t work. Not every risk is going to pay off. But I like that our coach DOES take some of those risks.

Yeah. He clearly went for the jugular against UNC. Didn't work out. But I'm shocked there are posters who think Clawson is going to start trying to impress the voters now that we're ranked.

Guys, I'm saying that it was unnecessary at the time. We would not have to count on a FG to secure the victory with 4 minutes left. What's next, on side kicks in the 2nd quarter. A FG at that time would have had the same effect, and still prove that they can't stop us for most of the rest of the game. What was the effect on us. The offense had two first downs until the final drive. Wake will get respect from victories, not by taking risks in the 2nd quarter.

Guys, I'm saying that it was unnecessary at the time. We would not have to count on a FG to secure the victory with 4 minutes left. What's next, on side kicks in the 2nd quarter. A FG at that time would have had the same effect, and still prove that they can't stop us for most of the rest of the game. What was the effect on us. The offense had two first downs until the final drive. Wake will get respect from victories, not by taking risks in the 2nd quarter.

A FG at the time absolutely would not have had the same effect. Nobody is demoralized by a field goal. 21-0 and 24-0 are not that different. Another TD makes a much bigger difference.

But as we saw with the VT-Miami game yesterday, even 28-0 leads aren’t safe.

Thanks. I didn't think it was controversial.

I liked the game plan. What excites me is we beaten BC at their own game. Especially considering 20 mile an hour wind. Moreover we are executing whatever game plan at a high level. We are number #2 in least penalized teams in FBS and are top twenty In Turnover margin. In essence we beat BC playing smash mouth football and did not expose our potential game plan opportunities moving forward.

A FG at the time absolutely would not have had the same effect. Nobody is demoralized by a field goal. 21-0 and 24-0 are not that different. Another TD makes a much bigger difference.

But as we saw with the VT-Miami game yesterday, even 28-0 leads aren’t safe.

21-0 and 24-0 are hugely different. 21-0 is a three score game. If UNC misses or doesn’t go for a 2 point conversion, 24-0 is a four score game.

We won't beat Clemson. They're not rolling yet but they are way too talented and we play them in Death Valley. Even if we win all our other regular season games we won't be ranked in the top ten unless we start playing like a top ten team and blow some people out. It will be an excellent season for our team we win 9 or 10 games but our remaining schedule isn't "impressive" enough to be "top ten". If we end up in the minds of poll voters as the second best team in the ACC that's a fine accomplishment in any year. Top Ten rankings are based on the eye test, schedule, pedigree and won/lost record. UCF is a perfect example of why we won't likely be top ten. Aside from a potential won/lost record we don't check any of the boxes. Anyone who thinks we'll be ranked ahead of any of the following teams is nuts....
Bama, Clemson, Wisconsin, Georgia, LSU, Fla, Ohio St., Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn St., Boise St..... that's 12 teams that at 9-3 or 10-2 would still be ranked ahead of an 11-1 Wake Forest by most poll voters. And be reminded that NOBODY ever won a game because of a poll ranking. Just go win the next game Deacs!

21-0 and 24-0 are hugely different. 21-0 is a three score game. If UNC misses or doesn’t go for a 2 point conversion, 24-0 is a four score game.

That’s game theory. Yes of course a three score game is different than a four score game. But kicking a field goal is not a demoralizing action the way getting it into the end zone after converting a fourth down is. That is what I’m taking about. Clawson was trying to get UNC to give up the fight. A field goal would not have achieved that.

We won't beat Clemson. They're not rolling yet but they are way too talented and we play them in Death Valley. Even if we win all our other regular season games we won't be ranked in the top ten unless we start playing like a top ten team and blow some people out. It will be an excellent season for our team we win 9 or 10 games but our remaining schedule isn't "impressive" enough to be "top ten". If we end up in the minds of poll voters as the second best team in the ACC that's a fine accomplishment in any year. Top Ten rankings are based on the eye test, schedule, pedigree and won/lost record. UCF is a perfect example of why we won't likely be top ten. Aside from a potential won/lost record we don't check any of the boxes. Anyone who thinks we'll be ranked ahead of any of the following teams is nuts....
Bama, Clemson, Wisconsin, Georgia, LSU, Fla, Ohio St., Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn St., Boise St..... that's 12 teams that at 9-3 or 10-2 would still be ranked ahead of an 11-1 Wake Forest by most poll voters. And be reminded that NOBODY ever won a game because of a poll ranking. Just go win the next game Deacs!

I understand and partially agree with your point, but...

An 11-1 Wake team would be higher ranked than every one of those teams at 9-3. At this juncture of the season there is no way any of them can get to 9-3 without a “bad” loss, except maybe LSU and Auburn.

That’s game theory. Yes of course a three score game is different than a four score game. But kicking a field goal is not a demoralizing action the way getting it into the end zone after converting a fourth down is. That is what I’m taking about. Clawson was trying to get UNC to give up the fight. A field goal would not have achieved that.

I’ll still take the 24-0 lead, demoralizing or not.

Now ranked in the top 20, all the team needs to do is keep winning. Give each game the respect ACC opponents deserve, and take care of business. If we can get to November undefeated, this will be a special season.

Hogwash. Not only do you make a 3 score game a likely 4 score game, but more importantly you keep momentum and don’t give UNC a chance for a moral victory that did turn the tide. Add into it we have clearly been horrible on 3rd and 4th and 1 over and over only added to the poor decision that allowed mo to change sides.

I love it. We have an ongoing thread about where Wake football is in the rankings and we are arguing about the best way to blow out opponents.

I respect BC as a team and institution. And I love watching Dillon play anyone other than Wake.

This week is different. I hate Louisville, I don’t respect Louisville, and I love knowing our coaches feel the same way. I’d love to embarrass them in prime time.

That’s true. Curious to see if that changes under Satterfield. Clearly Satterfield respects Wake in a way the older guys like Petrino and Brown don’t.

I respect BC as a team and institution. And I love watching Dillon play anyone other than Wake.

This week is different. I hate Louisville, I don’t respect Louisville, and I love knowing our coaches feel the same way. I’d love to embarrass them in prime time.

Louisville is a sleaze bag institution that never should have been allowed to join the ACC.

I hope we drop 50 on ‘em.

Back