• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well we know we'd be ahead of UGA..... Wake > UNC > Gamecocks > UGA

Unfortunately we'd have a tough time making the case that we're better than a 1 loss LSU.

Looking at what Clemson is doing to FSU in Death Valley today and I have a feeling this is a moot point... but we might as well discuss it while we can.

Go Deacs

Well let’s do that to Louisville and FSU then.

I've got us at 25. SMU, Baylor, Cincy, Minnesota and App leapfrog us. Possibly Missouri as well. To be honest I'd rather be unranked facing FSU but I don't see Washington, Tulane, Cal or Temple passing us after we made it respectable.

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Ohio State
4) LSU
5) Oklahoma
6) Wisconsin
7) Penn State
8) Georgia
9) Notre Dame
10) Florida
11) Auburn
12) Oregon
13) Boise State
14) Utah
15) Texas
16) Michigan
17) Arizona State
18) Baylor
19) Minnesota
20) Iowa
21) SMU
22) Cincy
23) App
24) Missouri
25) Wake Forest

Last edited:
How do we drop from 17th in the Coaches Poll to NR? Behind 3 two loss teams no less.

I'm not saying we deserve this or that, but dropping 9 slots for your first loss by 3 is ridiculous.

How do we drop from 17th in the Coaches Poll to NR? Behind 3 two loss teams no less.

I'm not saying we deserve this or that, but dropping 9 slots for your first loss by 3 is ridiculous.

Because it’s the coaches poll, and coaches are aware that a team that had 62 dropped on them at home has some serious issues.

Because the narrative on Wake is that we are not that good. Any loss is justification for the doubters that they were right.

Until we sustain success, losses will drop us more than a win moves us up.

Because the narrative on Wake is that we are not that good. Any loss is justification for the doubters that they were right.

Until we sustain success, losses will drop us more than a win moves us up.

Coaches didn't doubt us, you do. Coaches understand shit happens, ask GA or UVA. Deacs stay ranked and then move up after beating FSU next weekend in our rebound

Coaches didn't doubt us, you do. Coaches understand shit happens, ask GA or UVA. Deacs stay ranked and then move up after beating FSU next weekend in our rebound
I doubt us? That makes no sense. We dropped a lot in the coaches poll, suggesting many voters took us out of their top 25. If it was just shit happens, you wouldn't see a huge drop for a 5-1 team.

But yeah, if we beat FSU, we will move back in.

We may not be ranked next week

Unfortunately.......yep.

However, maybe this will be a wake up call for the rest of the season.
Hope the team is pissed and takes it out on FSU next week.

The reasons for dropping out of the Top 25 are on this page. Allowing an opponent to score 62 points on your home field strongly suggests that the Deacons have significant problems on defense and special teams. Problems an outstanding offense may be unable to cover.

The long lasting perception of Wake Forest as a losing football program is justified by past results. The best Wake has done is finish .500 in conference play during Clawson's time as coach. That has happened once in five previous seasons. The history before Clawson is worse. Until Deacon football can be a consistent, winning team in the ACC the perception will continue.

The solution is to win consistently. It may not seem fair if you are dreaming of an undefeated season, an ACC championship and Heisman trophies. It is reality. It is why the 2006 ACC championship is still described as "improbable" by many writers and coaches. The Deacs can return to the Top 25 by continuing to win and prove through performance they belong, but it will require the proof that winning brings. The dreams of the fan base are insufficient.

The reasons for dropping out of the Top 25 are on this page. Allowing an opponent to score 62 points on your home field strongly suggests that the Deacons have significant problems on defense and special teams. Problems an outstanding offense may be unable to cover.

The long lasting perception of Wake Forest as a losing football program is justified by past results. The best Wake has done is finish .500 in conference play during Clawson's time as coach. That has happened once in five previous seasons. The history before Clawson is worse. Until Deacon football can be a consistent, winning team in the ACC the perception will continue.

The solution is to win consistently. It may not seem fair if you are dreaming of an undefeated season, an ACC championship and Heisman trophies. It is reality. It is why the 2006 ACC championship is still described as "improbable" by many writers and coaches. The Deacs can return to the Top 25 by continuing to win and prove through performance they belong, but it will require the proof that winning brings. The dreams of the fan base are insufficient.
Ah! Yes. And to get there ALL of the WF stakeholders have to decide to spend the money, swear and toil to make football the premier sport of WF just as Penn State did in the early 60s, just as VaTech did in the 80s, and UVA did as well. Trustees have to direct the resources. Football pays so why not use it for its branding. It’s cheaper than ads in airline mags which are published to keep up with whom—High Point U?

The better likelihood is that we aren't ranked again this season. If we lose to FSU we're probably done even getting votes. And beating FSU, unless it's a blowout (which it clearly won't be), only puts us back in the 23-25 range IMO.

As others have pointed out, top 25 teams don't give up 62 at home (with tons of the points due to special teams brain farts) to a program coming off a 2-8 season with a first-year coach.

Maybe some of the voters watched us poop all over ourselves and give up 62 points on our home field. That’s not passing the eye test.

If we lose to FSU, nobody will care about rankings.

Back